From: Thanh Ha [mailto:thanh.ha@...]
Sent: jeudi 31 janvier 2019 00:33
To: Sam Hague
Cc: LAMBERT Guillaume TGI/OLN; Stephen Kitt; tsc@...; netvirt-dev@...; discuss@...
Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight Discuss] [OpenDaylight TSC] Stable branches etc.

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 6:17 PM Sam Hague <shague@...> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 12:36 PM Thanh Ha <thanh.ha@...> wrote:

How is the intermediate branch used in practice though? and what I mean is does all the patches on this branch then get moved over to the stable/branch when it is unlocked or does it run in parallel with the stable/branch?

Yes, it would be another branch running in parallel just like stable/neon, maybe a stable-neon/sr1. What could work is those patches that go on the stable/neon would be immediately cherry-picked to the sr branch to reduce regressions. But it is up to the project how they cherry-pick patches since the sr1 branch would not be locked.

Should be clear here than that this proposal goes directly against the other desire I've heard from the community to have git tags appear on the branch. By having release specific branches like neon-sr1 that means we definitely won't be able to have the release tag appear on the neon branch for example as we will have a further branch split with neon-sr1.

This may not be a big deal since we currently don't have tags on branches but there's been a few threads discussing how to tweak the workflow to allow that which this proposal sounds like it will work against the other desire.

Regards,

Thanh

What I'm concerned about is that it needs more jobs and becomes yet another branch we are actively maintaining. Using up more CI resources which we are actively trying to reduce.

It could be short-lived, once stable/neon is released it is locked, stopped jobs and eventually removed and you only have the sr1 branch left. It is only during this code freeze to release that the stable branch would last since you have the sr1 branch at the same time which would be the longer living branch.

Regards,

Thanh

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 9:31 AM Sam Hague <shague@...> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 5:03 AM <guillaume.lambert@...> wrote:

Hi Stephen

I am sharing your feedback and thinks it would make a lot of sense.
Many linux distros use something similar to deal with staging packages in their repo, e.g. Fedora with stable/branched/rawhide repos or Debian with stable/testing/unstable repos.
With only one (master) branch, it is difficult for downstream projects to deal with both the new features to develop and needed migrations for the next release at the same time.
An intermediate branch may allow a better synchronization with the upstream projects as long as ongoing evolution are made available through nexus.

This is a good point and was a similar reason for needing a branch. This has hit us every release where the stable branch is pulled and master goes forward, but downstreams still want to continue working. They can't since the stable branch is locked and master becomes the wild west. Some of this could be alleviated with more reliable planning - getting code in earlier and tested - but that is hard with limited resources. An intermediate branch would provide a place to keep working to finish things and make it into the sr1 and not try to cram something in at the last minute on the stable branch.