Re: Java 11 adoption
On 10/01/2019 19:30, Robert Varga wrote:
Hello everyone,This activity has been concluded and furthermore we have an Java 11
autorelease build for the Sodium release train.
I would like to ask individual projects to do some build testing to[snip]
As an alternative we could skip the combined Java 8/Java 11 release,Based on the feedback on this thread and the feedback I received from
users, it is clear that making a direct jump to Java 11 in Sodium would
be problematic to at least one of our open-source downstreams.
In face of that, I propose we execute as follows:
- have concurrent autorelease-openjdk8 and autorelease-openjdk11 builds
- do not have separate openjdk11 verify jobs
- stabilize autorelease-openjdk11 by the midway checkpoint
- Sodium release artifacts are still built with autorelease-openjdk8
- evaluate feasibility of switching CSIT to Java 11
I am not sure about the last point -- we need to decide which JRE is
primary for Sodium. I would like to push for Java 11 being the primary,
and switching CSIT to it by midway checkpoint, but I am not sure if that
Based on that, we would have:
- Sodium compatible with Java 8 and Java 11, with recommended runtime
being either 8 or 11 (based on the CSIT question above).
- Magnesium being a Java 11-only release.
Abhijit, can you schedule this topic for the next week's TSC, please?
P.S.: JDK12 has entered RDP-2 phase and we will need to keep an eye out
for it during Sodium because it brings interesting runtime improvements.
Also JDK13 planning has started and there are few juicy bits on the
candidate list -- hence our adoption of JDK14 should be speedier than 11 :)