From: Robert Varga <nite@...>
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 2:19 PM
To: R P Karthika . <r.p.karthika@...>; Karthikeyan <karthikeyangceb007@...>; Hema Gopalkrishnan <hema.gopalkrishnan@...>; Faseela K <k.faseela@...>; Daniel de la Rosa <ddelarosa@...>
Cc: Release <release@...>; tsc <tsc@...>; Dayavanti Gopal Kamath <dayavanti.gopal.kamath@...>
Subject: Re: [release] Controller MD-SAL APIs going away soon

On 29/04/2020 10:17, R P Karthika . wrote:
Hi Robert,
Hello,

As mentioned in the below mail we started merging patches.

But in genius, merge build is failing because of Javadoc failures.

I could see errors in places where we haven’t made any recent changes also.

Java doc error is being thrown in files which we haven’t touched over
a long time.

Also for patches merged two months back java doc build has been passing.

Any idea why we face these failures all of a sudden?
it is not sudden...

Patch : https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/c/genius/+/89001
... here you changed the import ...

https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/c/genius/+/89001/11/mdsalutil/mdsalutil-api/src/main/java/org/opendaylight/genius/infra/ManagedTransactionFactory.java

Failure link :
https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/job/genius-maven-javadoc-publi
sh-aluminium-openjdk11/7/console
... and that means in this javadoc:

00:03:48.360 [ERROR] /w/workspace/genius-maven-javadoc-publish-aluminium-openjdk11/mdsalutil/mdsalutil-api/src/main/java/org/opendaylight/genius/infra/ManagedTransactionFactory.java:77: error: reference not found
00:03:48.360 [ERROR] * @return the {@link ListenableFuture} returned by {@link ReadWriteTransaction#submit()},
00:03:48.360 [ERROR] ^
"ReadWriteTransaction" points to a different interface and that interface does not have a submit() method. It does have a commit() method, though...

Note that when diagnosing javadoc failures, you are looking for the string "error: ".

There is a way to get this validation be part of -verify/-merge jobs, but you will lose javadoc website for snapshots -- so it is a trade-off.
For most of my projects this has already been done and results in https://www.javadoc.io/doc/org.opendaylight.controller/controller-docs/latest/index.html