Date   

Re: Revised merged controller proposal

David Meyer <dmm@...>
 

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 5:26 AM, Rob Sherwood <rob.sherwood@...> wrote:
After looking in depth into the implications of Colin and Dave's proposal,
we ran into a bunch of concerns. Attached is a proposal which we believe
addresses those concerns while trying to keep to (at least my understanding
of) the spirit of what Colin and Dave were advocating.

I know there's a lot on the TSC agenda, but particularly given the impending
deadline, I'd like to get a time slot of discuss this proposal on today's
call.

I'll also post this to discuss to see if we can get more comments going than
my previous merge d controller proposal.
BTW, I updated the agenda to give you a slot; I'm thinking now I'm
going to push everything else off so we can discuss moving forward.
Also, thank you for posting your pdf to the discuss list (as you can
see I've copied discuss into this thread). We'll work with Phil to get
the limits on the wiki changed.

Thanks again,

--dmm


Open to comments,

- Rob
.

_______________________________________________
TSC mailing list
TSC@...
https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc


Re: [OpenDaylight Discuss] Next Hackfest Dates

Phil Robb
 

Yea, I'm online now this morning and I'll get all of this moving guys.

Phil.


On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 7:43 AM, David Meyer <dmm@...> wrote:
Rob, I see that you tried to add a pdf to the "layered API proposal" that didn't make it (looks like size limitations). Can you work with Phil to get this posted?

Thnx,

--dmm


On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 9:11 PM, Rob Sherwood <rob.sherwood@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Apologies if I've been slow to reply, but it's been because I've been heads down reading code and meeting with our top engineers discussing the proposal.  Colin and Dave have done a great job throwing together something that looks good on paper, but given that BSN is going to bet the entire company on this project, it's important that we really drive down to a fine level of detail to convince ourselves that this makes sense and is feasible.

So, while I had talked with Colin a bit before the proposal came to light three days ago, only since then am I really starting to understand the implications of it, and I'm sorry to say that I have an increasing number of concerns about this merging proposal particularly around building on the SAL in its current form.

I'm doing my best to document these concerns and bring them to public discussion ASAP but some of them are very subtle (e..g, "yes, some of the function prototypes do _look_ the same, but the consistency guarantees are different, so this is a huge amount of work to port") and so it's a bit slow going.

The bottom line is that I'm rushing to get feedback on this and I'm very worried about people pre-supposing that "no news is good news".  While we're definitely behind the high level idea of a "best of breed" merged controller, I think we're going to have to weigh in with a different view on how to get there.  

I'll be working on this all night to see if I can get something in front of the TSC by tomorrow.

- Rob
.


On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 2:01 PM, Vijoy Pandey <vijoy.pandey@...> wrote:

Folks,

The Dixon-Erickson (DE) proposal has been built from the ground up looking at the various pros and cons of the two controller bases. I believe its unbiased, has solid technical merit, its open and frankly, its the best proposal we have.

I think we should start using this proposal as the guideline to actually start the code and merge the controller bases into one, and start writing applications around it - Anees, Colin and the team from IBM will start working on this direction right away.

-vijoy



Thomas Nadeau ---05/08/2013 01:51:18 PM---We intend to make our contribution (and start developing code) in the context of Dixon-Ericsson prop

From: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>
To: Colin Dixon/Austin/IBM@IBMUS,
Cc: "discuss@..." <discuss@...>, "tsc-bounces@..." <tsc-bounces@...>, "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Date: 05/08/2013 01:51 PM


Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] [OpenDaylight Discuss]  Next Hackfest Dates
Sent by: tsc-bounces@...





We intend to make our contribution (and start developing code) in the context of Dixon-Ericsson proposal because it makes most sense to us. I'd like to move forward with this as soon as possible.

--Tom


    I feel a bit sheepish after you saying "to be crystal clear" in the first sentence, but I'm still a bit confused.

    Are you saying that you agree with
    (1) the proposal that Dave Erickson and I put forward for how to merge the two controllers?
    (2) the proposal that Chris Wright made to try to decide the issue before the hackfest?
    (3) or both?


    Thanks,
    --Colin


    tsc-bounces@... wrote on 05/08/2013 02:48:09 PM:
    > From: Thomas Nadeau <
    tnadeau@...>
    > To: Thomas Nadeau <
    tnadeau@...>, Abhishek Chauhan
    > <
    Abhishek.Chauhan@...>, Rob Sherwood
    > <
    rob.sherwood@...>, Phil Robb <probb@...>
    > Cc: "
    tsc@..." <tsc@...>,
    > "
    discuss@..." <discuss@...>
    > Date: 05/08/2013 02:52 PM
    > Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] [OpenDaylight Discuss]  Next Hackfest Dates
    > Sent by:
    tsc-bounces@...
    >
    > A few have pinged me asking me to be crystal clear about what I
    > said, so here goes:
    >
    > I personally have been following the discussions and presentations
    > on the merge question and believe the proposal on the table from
    > Chris et al answers the question in a sufficiently detailed,
    > objective and sound manner for us to move forward. Based on that, I
    > do not see any benefit in extending the time we need to decide on
    > this proposal unless there is additional (substantive) discussion
    > that materializes in the very near future.
    >
    > --Tom
    >
    > From: Thomas Nadeau <
    tnadeau@...>
    > Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 3:26 PM
    > To: Abhishek Chauhan <
    Abhishek.Chauhan@...>, Rob Sherwood <
    >
    rob.sherwood@...>, Phil Robb <probb@...>
    > Cc: "
    tsc@..." <tsc@...>, "
    >
    discuss@..." <discuss@...>
    > Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight Discuss] [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates
    >
    > Thanks for clarifying my point. *)
    >
    > Adding discuss list too.
    >
    > --Tom
    >
    > From: Abhishek Chauhan <
    Abhishek.Chauhan@...>
    > Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 3:22 PM
    > To: Thomas Nadeau <
    tnadeau@...>, Rob Sherwood <
    >
    rob.sherwood@...>, Phil Robb <probb@...>
    > Cc: "
    tsc@..." <tsc@...>
    > Subject: RE: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates
    >
    > I should have employed more precision below.
    >  
    > To be clear – I agree with Tom, that we should keep the current pace
    > on the controller unification efforts, and not couple it with the hackfest.
    >  
    > -abhishek
    >  
    > From: Abhishek Chauhan
    > Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 12:14 PM
    > To: Thomas Nadeau; Rob Sherwood; Phil Robb
    > Cc:
    tsc@...
    > Subject: RE: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates
    >  
    > I agree.
    >  
    > --
    > abhishek
    >  
    > From:
    tsc-bounces@... [mailto:tsc-
    >
    bounces@...] On Behalf Of Thomas Nadeau
    > Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 12:06 PM
    > To: Rob Sherwood; Phil Robb
    > Cc:
    tsc@...
    > Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates
    >  
    >  
    > I personally would rather not delay the decisions that need to be
    > made until June.
    >  
    > --Tom
    >  
    >  
    > From: Rob Sherwood <
    rob.sherwood@...>
    > Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 1:50 PM
    > To: Phil Robb <
    probb@...>
    > Cc: "
    tsc@..." <tsc@...>
    > Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates
    >  
    > Question:
    >  
    > There was some talk (suggested by Chris Wright, IIRC) about trying
    > to coordinate the controller merge proposals evaluation/decision
    > process with the hackfest.  Now that the hackfest dates are being
    > moved out, do we still want to do this?
    >  
    > I would suggest yes, but I wonder what others think.
    >  
    > - Rob
    > .
    >  
    > On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Phil Robb <
    probb@...> wrote:
    > Hello TSC:
    >  
    > As you know we have been working on the dates for the next Hackfest.
    > While we were quite close on one upcoming date, we have had multiple
    > requests to schedule the next hackfest later.  The new proposed
    > date/location for the next hackfest is:
    >  
    > When: June 6th and 7th, 2013.
    > Where: Hotel Valencia at Santana Row (San Jose)
    >  
    > Pushing back the date provides a variety of benefits including more
    > time for participants to make travel arrangements resulting in
    > significantly higher attendance.
    >  
    > My apologies if this has caused anyone significant inconvenience.
    >  
    > TSC members, please let me know if you will be able to attend.
    >  
    > If there is reasonable representation from the TSC,  we will lock
    > this date down and send a broader announcement to the full developercommunity.
    >  
    > Phil.
    > --
    > Phil Robb
    > Director - Networking Solutions
    > The Linux Foundation
    > (O) 970-229-5949
    > (M) 970-420-4292
    > Skype: Phil.Robb
    >
    > _______________________________________________
    > TSC mailing list
    >
    TSC@...
    >
    https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc
    >  _______________________________________________
    > TSC mailing list
    >
    TSC@...

    >
    https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc_______________________________________________
    TSC mailing list
    TSC@...
    https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc


_______________________________________________
TSC mailing list
TSC@...
https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc



_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
Discuss@...
https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss



_______________________________________________
TSC mailing list
TSC@...
https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc




--
Phil Robb
Director - Networking Solutions
The Linux Foundation
(O) 970-229-5949
(M) 970-420-4292
Skype: Phil.Robb


Re: Revised merged controller proposal

David Meyer <dmm@...>
 

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 5:43 AM, Rob Sherwood <rob.sherwood@...> wrote:
[resending without attachment -- can we please bump up the attachment file
limit to something reasonable?]

After looking in depth into the implications of Colin and Dave's proposal,
we ran into a bunch of concerns. Below is a link to a proposal which we
believe addresses those concerns while trying to keep to (at least my
understanding of) the spirit of what Colin and Dave were advocating.

I know there's a lot on the TSC agenda, but particularly given the impending
deadline, I'd like to get a time slot of discuss this proposal on today's
call.
Sure. Let me work on the agenda this AM. --dmm

I'll also post this to discuss to see if we can get more comments going than
my previous merge d controller proposal.

Open to comments,

https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/Layered_API_Merged_Controller_Proposal


- Rob
.

_______________________________________________
TSC mailing list
TSC@...
https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc


Re: [OpenDaylight Discuss] Next Hackfest Dates

David Meyer <dmm@...>
 

Rob, I see that you tried to add a pdf to the "layered API proposal" that didn't make it (looks like size limitations). Can you work with Phil to get this posted?

Thnx,

--dmm


On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 9:11 PM, Rob Sherwood <rob.sherwood@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Apologies if I've been slow to reply, but it's been because I've been heads down reading code and meeting with our top engineers discussing the proposal.  Colin and Dave have done a great job throwing together something that looks good on paper, but given that BSN is going to bet the entire company on this project, it's important that we really drive down to a fine level of detail to convince ourselves that this makes sense and is feasible.

So, while I had talked with Colin a bit before the proposal came to light three days ago, only since then am I really starting to understand the implications of it, and I'm sorry to say that I have an increasing number of concerns about this merging proposal particularly around building on the SAL in its current form.

I'm doing my best to document these concerns and bring them to public discussion ASAP but some of them are very subtle (e..g, "yes, some of the function prototypes do _look_ the same, but the consistency guarantees are different, so this is a huge amount of work to port") and so it's a bit slow going.

The bottom line is that I'm rushing to get feedback on this and I'm very worried about people pre-supposing that "no news is good news".  While we're definitely behind the high level idea of a "best of breed" merged controller, I think we're going to have to weigh in with a different view on how to get there.  

I'll be working on this all night to see if I can get something in front of the TSC by tomorrow.

- Rob
.


On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 2:01 PM, Vijoy Pandey <vijoy.pandey@...> wrote:

Folks,

The Dixon-Erickson (DE) proposal has been built from the ground up looking at the various pros and cons of the two controller bases. I believe its unbiased, has solid technical merit, its open and frankly, its the best proposal we have.

I think we should start using this proposal as the guideline to actually start the code and merge the controller bases into one, and start writing applications around it - Anees, Colin and the team from IBM will start working on this direction right away.

-vijoy



Thomas Nadeau ---05/08/2013 01:51:18 PM---We intend to make our contribution (and start developing code) in the context of Dixon-Ericsson prop

From: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>
To: Colin Dixon/Austin/IBM@IBMUS,
Cc: "discuss@..." <discuss@...>, "tsc-bounces@..." <tsc-bounces@...>, "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Date: 05/08/2013 01:51 PM


Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] [OpenDaylight Discuss]  Next Hackfest Dates
Sent by: tsc-bounces@...





We intend to make our contribution (and start developing code) in the context of Dixon-Ericsson proposal because it makes most sense to us. I'd like to move forward with this as soon as possible.

--Tom


    I feel a bit sheepish after you saying "to be crystal clear" in the first sentence, but I'm still a bit confused.

    Are you saying that you agree with
    (1) the proposal that Dave Erickson and I put forward for how to merge the two controllers?
    (2) the proposal that Chris Wright made to try to decide the issue before the hackfest?
    (3) or both?


    Thanks,
    --Colin


    tsc-bounces@... wrote on 05/08/2013 02:48:09 PM:
    > From: Thomas Nadeau <
    tnadeau@...>
    > To: Thomas Nadeau <
    tnadeau@...>, Abhishek Chauhan
    > <
    Abhishek.Chauhan@...>, Rob Sherwood
    > <
    rob.sherwood@...>, Phil Robb <probb@...>
    > Cc: "
    tsc@..." <tsc@...>,
    > "
    discuss@..." <discuss@...>
    > Date: 05/08/2013 02:52 PM
    > Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] [OpenDaylight Discuss]  Next Hackfest Dates
    > Sent by:
    tsc-bounces@...
    >
    > A few have pinged me asking me to be crystal clear about what I
    > said, so here goes:
    >
    > I personally have been following the discussions and presentations
    > on the merge question and believe the proposal on the table from
    > Chris et al answers the question in a sufficiently detailed,
    > objective and sound manner for us to move forward. Based on that, I
    > do not see any benefit in extending the time we need to decide on
    > this proposal unless there is additional (substantive) discussion
    > that materializes in the very near future.
    >
    > --Tom
    >
    > From: Thomas Nadeau <
    tnadeau@...>
    > Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 3:26 PM
    > To: Abhishek Chauhan <
    Abhishek.Chauhan@...>, Rob Sherwood <
    >
    rob.sherwood@...>, Phil Robb <probb@...>
    > Cc: "
    tsc@..." <tsc@...>, "
    >
    discuss@..." <discuss@...>
    > Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight Discuss] [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates
    >
    > Thanks for clarifying my point. *)
    >
    > Adding discuss list too.
    >
    > --Tom
    >
    > From: Abhishek Chauhan <
    Abhishek.Chauhan@...>
    > Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 3:22 PM
    > To: Thomas Nadeau <
    tnadeau@...>, Rob Sherwood <
    >
    rob.sherwood@...>, Phil Robb <probb@...>
    > Cc: "
    tsc@..." <tsc@...>
    > Subject: RE: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates
    >
    > I should have employed more precision below.
    >  
    > To be clear – I agree with Tom, that we should keep the current pace
    > on the controller unification efforts, and not couple it with the hackfest.
    >  
    > -abhishek
    >  
    > From: Abhishek Chauhan
    > Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 12:14 PM
    > To: Thomas Nadeau; Rob Sherwood; Phil Robb
    > Cc:
    tsc@...
    > Subject: RE: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates
    >  
    > I agree.
    >  
    > --
    > abhishek
    >  
    > From:
    tsc-bounces@... [mailto:tsc-
    >
    bounces@...] On Behalf Of Thomas Nadeau
    > Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 12:06 PM
    > To: Rob Sherwood; Phil Robb
    > Cc:
    tsc@...
    > Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates
    >  
    >  
    > I personally would rather not delay the decisions that need to be
    > made until June.
    >  
    > --Tom
    >  
    >  
    > From: Rob Sherwood <
    rob.sherwood@...>
    > Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 1:50 PM
    > To: Phil Robb <
    probb@...>
    > Cc: "
    tsc@..." <tsc@...>
    > Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates
    >  
    > Question:
    >  
    > There was some talk (suggested by Chris Wright, IIRC) about trying
    > to coordinate the controller merge proposals evaluation/decision
    > process with the hackfest.  Now that the hackfest dates are being
    > moved out, do we still want to do this?
    >  
    > I would suggest yes, but I wonder what others think.
    >  
    > - Rob
    > .
    >  
    > On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Phil Robb <
    probb@...> wrote:
    > Hello TSC:
    >  
    > As you know we have been working on the dates for the next Hackfest.
    > While we were quite close on one upcoming date, we have had multiple
    > requests to schedule the next hackfest later.  The new proposed
    > date/location for the next hackfest is:
    >  
    > When: June 6th and 7th, 2013.
    > Where: Hotel Valencia at Santana Row (San Jose)
    >  
    > Pushing back the date provides a variety of benefits including more
    > time for participants to make travel arrangements resulting in
    > significantly higher attendance.
    >  
    > My apologies if this has caused anyone significant inconvenience.
    >  
    > TSC members, please let me know if you will be able to attend.
    >  
    > If there is reasonable representation from the TSC,  we will lock
    > this date down and send a broader announcement to the full developercommunity.
    >  
    > Phil.
    > --
    > Phil Robb
    > Director - Networking Solutions
    > The Linux Foundation
    > (O) 970-229-5949
    > (M) 970-420-4292
    > Skype: Phil.Robb
    >
    > _______________________________________________
    > TSC mailing list
    >
    TSC@...
    >
    https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc
    >  _______________________________________________
    > TSC mailing list
    >
    TSC@...

    >
    https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc_______________________________________________
    TSC mailing list
    TSC@...
    https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc


_______________________________________________
TSC mailing list
TSC@...
https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc



_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
Discuss@...
https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss



Re: Revised merged controller proposal

Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>
 



On May 9, 2013, at 8:43 AM, "Rob Sherwood" <rob.sherwood@...> wrote:

[resending without attachment -- can we please bump up the attachment file limit to something reasonable?]

After looking in depth into the implications of Colin and Dave's proposal, we ran into a bunch of concerns.  Below is a link to a proposal which we believe addresses those concerns while trying to keep to (at least my understanding of) the spirit of what Colin and Dave were advocating.

I know there's a lot on the TSC agenda, but particularly given the impending deadline, I'd like to get a time slot of discuss this proposal on today's call.

I'd second that request. lets spend as much time on this as we need to discuss today. 

Tom 


I'll also post this to discuss to see if we can get more comments going than my previous merge d controller proposal.

Open to comments,



- Rob
.
_______________________________________________
TSC mailing list
TSC@...
https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc


Revised merged controller proposal

Rob Sherwood
 

[resending without attachment -- can we please bump up the attachment file limit to something reasonable?]

After looking in depth into the implications of Colin and Dave's proposal, we ran into a bunch of concerns.  Below is a link to a proposal which we believe addresses those concerns while trying to keep to (at least my understanding of) the spirit of what Colin and Dave were advocating.

I know there's a lot on the TSC agenda, but particularly given the impending deadline, I'd like to get a time slot of discuss this proposal on today's call.

I'll also post this to discuss to see if we can get more comments going than my previous merge d controller proposal.

Open to comments,



- Rob
.


Revised merged controller proposal

Rob Sherwood
 

After looking in depth into the implications of Colin and Dave's proposal, we ran into a bunch of concerns.  Attached is a proposal which we believe addresses those concerns while trying to keep to (at least my understanding of) the spirit of what Colin and Dave were advocating.

I know there's a lot on the TSC agenda, but particularly given the impending deadline, I'd like to get a time slot of discuss this proposal on today's call.

I'll also post this to discuss to see if we can get more comments going than my previous merge d controller proposal.

Open to comments,

- Rob


Re: [OpenDaylight Discuss] Next Hackfest Dates

Abhishek Chauhan
 

In the interest of making progress towards shaping our contribution for ODP, we are also proceeding to develop code with DE proposal as the working assumption.

 

-abhishek

 

From: tsc-bounces@... [mailto:tsc-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Vijoy Pandey
Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 2:01 PM
To: Thomas Nadeau; Colin Dixon; discuss@...; tsc@...; tsc-bounces@...
Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] [OpenDaylight Discuss] Next Hackfest Dates

 

Folks,

The Dixon-Erickson (DE) proposal has been built from the ground up looking at the various pros and cons of the two controller bases. I believe its unbiased, has solid technical merit, its open and frankly, its the best proposal we have.

I think we should start using this proposal as the guideline to actually start the code and merge the controller bases into one, and start writing applications around it - Anees, Colin and the team from IBM will start working on this direction right away.

-vijoy



Thomas Nadeau ---05/08/2013 01:51:18 PM---We intend to make our contribution (and start developing code) in the context of Dixon-Ericsson prop

From: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>
To: Colin Dixon/Austin/IBM@IBMUS,
Cc: "discuss@..." <discuss@...>, "tsc-bounces@..." <tsc-bounces@...>, "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Date: 05/08/2013 01:51 PM
Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] [OpenDaylight Discuss]  Next Hackfest Dates
Sent by: tsc-bounces@...






We intend to make our contribution (and start developing code) in the context of Dixon-Ericsson proposal because it makes most sense to us. I'd like to move forward with this as soon as possible.

--Tom


I feel a bit sheepish after you saying "to be crystal clear" in the first sentence, but I'm still a bit confused.

Are you saying that you agree with
(1) the proposal that Dave Erickson and I put forward for how to merge the two controllers?
(2) the proposal that Chris Wright made to try to decide the issue before the hackfest?
(3) or both?


Thanks,
--Colin


tsc-bounces@... wrote on 05/08/2013 02:48:09 PM:
> From: Thomas Nadeau <
tnadeau@...>
> To: Thomas Nadeau <
tnadeau@...>, Abhishek Chauhan
> <
Abhishek.Chauhan@...>, Rob Sherwood
> <
rob.sherwood@...>, Phil Robb <probb@...>
> Cc: "
tsc@..." <tsc@...>,
> "
discuss@..." <discuss@...>
> Date: 05/08/2013 02:52 PM
> Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] [OpenDaylight Discuss]  Next Hackfest Dates
> Sent by:
tsc-bounces@...
>
> A few have pinged me asking me to be crystal clear about what I
> said, so here goes:
>
> I personally have been following the discussions and presentations
> on the merge question and believe the proposal on the table from
> Chris et al answers the question in a sufficiently detailed,
> objective and sound manner for us to move forward. Based on that, I
> do not see any benefit in extending the time we need to decide on
> this proposal unless there is additional (substantive) discussion
> that materializes in the very near future.
>
> --Tom
>
> From: Thomas Nadeau <
tnadeau@...>
> Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 3:26 PM
> To: Abhishek Chauhan <
Abhishek.Chauhan@...>, Rob Sherwood <
>
rob.sherwood@...>, Phil Robb <probb@...>
> Cc: "
tsc@..." <tsc@...>, "
>
discuss@..." <discuss@...>
> Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight Discuss] [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates
>
> Thanks for clarifying my point. *)
>
> Adding discuss list too.
>
> --Tom
>
> From: Abhishek Chauhan <
Abhishek.Chauhan@...>
> Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 3:22 PM
> To: Thomas Nadeau <
tnadeau@...>, Rob Sherwood <
>
rob.sherwood@...>, Phil Robb <probb@...>
> Cc: "
tsc@..." <tsc@...>
> Subject: RE: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates
>
> I should have employed more precision below.
>  
> To be clear – I agree with Tom, that we should keep the current pace
> on the controller unification efforts, and not couple it with the hackfest.
>  
> -abhishek
>  
> From: Abhishek Chauhan
> Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 12:14 PM
> To: Thomas Nadeau; Rob Sherwood; Phil Robb
> Cc:
tsc@...
> Subject: RE: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates
>  
> I agree.
>  
> --
> abhishek
>  
> From:
tsc-bounces@... [mailto:tsc-
>
bounces@...] On Behalf Of Thomas Nadeau
> Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 12:06 PM
> To: Rob Sherwood; Phil Robb
> Cc:
tsc@...
> Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates
>  
>  
> I personally would rather not delay the decisions that need to be
> made until June.
>  
> --Tom
>  
>  
> From: Rob Sherwood <
rob.sherwood@...>
> Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 1:50 PM
> To: Phil Robb <
probb@...>
> Cc: "
tsc@..." <tsc@...>
> Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates
>  
> Question:
>  
> There was some talk (suggested by Chris Wright, IIRC) about trying
> to coordinate the controller merge proposals evaluation/decision
> process with the hackfest.  Now that the hackfest dates are being
> moved out, do we still want to do this?
>  
> I would suggest yes, but I wonder what others think.
>  
> - Rob
> .
>  
> On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Phil Robb <
probb@...> wrote:
> Hello TSC:
>  
> As you know we have been working on the dates for the next Hackfest.
> While we were quite close on one upcoming date, we have had multiple
> requests to schedule the next hackfest later.  The new proposed
> date/location for the next hackfest is:
>  
> When: June 6th and 7th, 2013.
> Where: Hotel Valencia at Santana Row (San Jose)
>  
> Pushing back the date provides a variety of benefits including more
> time for participants to make travel arrangements resulting in
> significantly higher attendance.
>  
> My apologies if this has caused anyone significant inconvenience.
>  
> TSC members, please let me know if you will be able to attend.
>  
> If there is reasonable representation from the TSC,  we will lock
> this date down and send a broader announcement to the full developercommunity.
>  
> Phil.
> --
> Phil Robb
> Director - Networking Solutions
> The Linux Foundation
> (O) 970-229-5949
> (M) 970-420-4292
> Skype: Phil.Robb
>
> _______________________________________________
> TSC mailing list
>
TSC@...
>
https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc
>  _______________________________________________
> TSC mailing list
>
TSC@...
>
https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc_______________________________________________
TSC mailing list
TSC@...
https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc


Re: [OpenDaylight Discuss] Next Hackfest Dates

Rob Sherwood
 

Hi all,

Apologies if I've been slow to reply, but it's been because I've been heads down reading code and meeting with our top engineers discussing the proposal.  Colin and Dave have done a great job throwing together something that looks good on paper, but given that BSN is going to bet the entire company on this project, it's important that we really drive down to a fine level of detail to convince ourselves that this makes sense and is feasible.

So, while I had talked with Colin a bit before the proposal came to light three days ago, only since then am I really starting to understand the implications of it, and I'm sorry to say that I have an increasing number of concerns about this merging proposal particularly around building on the SAL in its current form.

I'm doing my best to document these concerns and bring them to public discussion ASAP but some of them are very subtle (e..g, "yes, some of the function prototypes do _look_ the same, but the consistency guarantees are different, so this is a huge amount of work to port") and so it's a bit slow going.

The bottom line is that I'm rushing to get feedback on this and I'm very worried about people pre-supposing that "no news is good news".  While we're definitely behind the high level idea of a "best of breed" merged controller, I think we're going to have to weigh in with a different view on how to get there.  

I'll be working on this all night to see if I can get something in front of the TSC by tomorrow.

- Rob
.


On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 2:01 PM, Vijoy Pandey <vijoy.pandey@...> wrote:

Folks,

The Dixon-Erickson (DE) proposal has been built from the ground up looking at the various pros and cons of the two controller bases. I believe its unbiased, has solid technical merit, its open and frankly, its the best proposal we have.

I think we should start using this proposal as the guideline to actually start the code and merge the controller bases into one, and start writing applications around it - Anees, Colin and the team from IBM will start working on this direction right away.

-vijoy



Thomas Nadeau ---05/08/2013 01:51:18 PM---We intend to make our contribution (and start developing code) in the context of Dixon-Ericsson prop

From: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>
To: Colin Dixon/Austin/IBM@IBMUS,
Cc: "discuss@..." <discuss@...>, "tsc-bounces@..." <tsc-bounces@...>, "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Date: 05/08/2013 01:51 PM


Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] [OpenDaylight Discuss]  Next Hackfest Dates
Sent by: tsc-bounces@...





We intend to make our contribution (and start developing code) in the context of Dixon-Ericsson proposal because it makes most sense to us. I'd like to move forward with this as soon as possible.

--Tom


    I feel a bit sheepish after you saying "to be crystal clear" in the first sentence, but I'm still a bit confused.

    Are you saying that you agree with
    (1) the proposal that Dave Erickson and I put forward for how to merge the two controllers?
    (2) the proposal that Chris Wright made to try to decide the issue before the hackfest?
    (3) or both?


    Thanks,
    --Colin


    tsc-bounces@... wrote on 05/08/2013 02:48:09 PM:
    > From: Thomas Nadeau <
    tnadeau@...>
    > To: Thomas Nadeau <
    tnadeau@...>, Abhishek Chauhan
    > <
    Abhishek.Chauhan@...>, Rob Sherwood
    > <
    rob.sherwood@...>, Phil Robb <probb@...>
    > Cc: "
    tsc@..." <tsc@...>,
    > "
    discuss@..." <discuss@...>
    > Date: 05/08/2013 02:52 PM
    > Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] [OpenDaylight Discuss]  Next Hackfest Dates
    > Sent by:
    tsc-bounces@...
    >
    > A few have pinged me asking me to be crystal clear about what I
    > said, so here goes:
    >
    > I personally have been following the discussions and presentations
    > on the merge question and believe the proposal on the table from
    > Chris et al answers the question in a sufficiently detailed,
    > objective and sound manner for us to move forward. Based on that, I
    > do not see any benefit in extending the time we need to decide on
    > this proposal unless there is additional (substantive) discussion
    > that materializes in the very near future.
    >
    > --Tom
    >
    > From: Thomas Nadeau <
    tnadeau@...>
    > Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 3:26 PM
    > To: Abhishek Chauhan <
    Abhishek.Chauhan@...>, Rob Sherwood <
    >
    rob.sherwood@...>, Phil Robb <probb@...>
    > Cc: "
    tsc@..." <tsc@...>, "
    >
    discuss@..." <discuss@...>
    > Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight Discuss] [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates
    >
    > Thanks for clarifying my point. *)
    >
    > Adding discuss list too.
    >
    > --Tom
    >
    > From: Abhishek Chauhan <
    Abhishek.Chauhan@...>
    > Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 3:22 PM
    > To: Thomas Nadeau <
    tnadeau@...>, Rob Sherwood <
    >
    rob.sherwood@...>, Phil Robb <probb@...>
    > Cc: "
    tsc@..." <tsc@...>
    > Subject: RE: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates
    >
    > I should have employed more precision below.
    >  
    > To be clear – I agree with Tom, that we should keep the current pace
    > on the controller unification efforts, and not couple it with the hackfest.
    >  
    > -abhishek
    >  
    > From: Abhishek Chauhan
    > Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 12:14 PM
    > To: Thomas Nadeau; Rob Sherwood; Phil Robb
    > Cc:
    tsc@...
    > Subject: RE: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates
    >  
    > I agree.
    >  
    > --
    > abhishek
    >  
    > From:
    tsc-bounces@... [mailto:tsc-
    >
    bounces@...] On Behalf Of Thomas Nadeau
    > Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 12:06 PM
    > To: Rob Sherwood; Phil Robb
    > Cc:
    tsc@...
    > Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates
    >  
    >  
    > I personally would rather not delay the decisions that need to be
    > made until June.
    >  
    > --Tom
    >  
    >  
    > From: Rob Sherwood <
    rob.sherwood@...>
    > Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 1:50 PM
    > To: Phil Robb <
    probb@...>
    > Cc: "
    tsc@..." <tsc@...>
    > Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates
    >  
    > Question:
    >  
    > There was some talk (suggested by Chris Wright, IIRC) about trying
    > to coordinate the controller merge proposals evaluation/decision
    > process with the hackfest.  Now that the hackfest dates are being
    > moved out, do we still want to do this?
    >  
    > I would suggest yes, but I wonder what others think.
    >  
    > - Rob
    > .
    >  
    > On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Phil Robb <
    probb@...> wrote:
    > Hello TSC:
    >  
    > As you know we have been working on the dates for the next Hackfest.
    > While we were quite close on one upcoming date, we have had multiple
    > requests to schedule the next hackfest later.  The new proposed
    > date/location for the next hackfest is:
    >  
    > When: June 6th and 7th, 2013.
    > Where: Hotel Valencia at Santana Row (San Jose)
    >  
    > Pushing back the date provides a variety of benefits including more
    > time for participants to make travel arrangements resulting in
    > significantly higher attendance.
    >  
    > My apologies if this has caused anyone significant inconvenience.
    >  
    > TSC members, please let me know if you will be able to attend.
    >  
    > If there is reasonable representation from the TSC,  we will lock
    > this date down and send a broader announcement to the full developercommunity.
    >  
    > Phil.
    > --
    > Phil Robb
    > Director - Networking Solutions
    > The Linux Foundation
    > (O) 970-229-5949
    > (M) 970-420-4292
    > Skype: Phil.Robb
    >
    > _______________________________________________
    > TSC mailing list
    >
    TSC@...
    >
    https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc
    >  _______________________________________________
    > TSC mailing list
    >
    TSC@...

    >
    https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc_______________________________________________
    TSC mailing list
    TSC@...
    https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc


_______________________________________________
TSC mailing list
TSC@...
https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc



Re: [OpenDaylight Discuss] Next Hackfest Dates

Vijoy Pandey <vijoy.pandey@...>
 

Folks,

The Dixon-Erickson (DE) proposal has been built from the ground up looking at the various pros and cons of the two controller bases. I believe its unbiased, has solid technical merit, its open and frankly, its the best proposal we have.

I think we should start using this proposal as the guideline to actually start the code and merge the controller bases into one, and start writing applications around it - Anees, Colin and the team from IBM will start working on this direction right away.

-vijoy



Thomas Nadeau ---05/08/2013 01:51:18 PM---We intend to make our contribution (and start developing code) in the context of Dixon-Ericsson prop

From: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>
To: Colin Dixon/Austin/IBM@IBMUS,
Cc: "discuss@..." <discuss@...>, "tsc-bounces@..." <tsc-bounces@...>, "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Date: 05/08/2013 01:51 PM
Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] [OpenDaylight Discuss]  Next Hackfest Dates
Sent by: tsc-bounces@...






We intend to make our contribution (and start developing code) in the context of Dixon-Ericsson proposal because it makes most sense to us. I'd like to move forward with this as soon as possible.

--Tom


    I feel a bit sheepish after you saying "to be crystal clear" in the first sentence, but I'm still a bit confused.

    Are you saying that you agree with
    (1) the proposal that Dave Erickson and I put forward for how to merge the two controllers?
    (2) the proposal that Chris Wright made to try to decide the issue before the hackfest?
    (3) or both?


    Thanks,
    --Colin


    tsc-bounces@... wrote on 05/08/2013 02:48:09 PM:
    > From: Thomas Nadeau <
    tnadeau@...>
    > To: Thomas Nadeau <
    tnadeau@...>, Abhishek Chauhan
    > <
    Abhishek.Chauhan@...>, Rob Sherwood
    > <
    rob.sherwood@...>, Phil Robb <probb@...>
    > Cc: "
    tsc@..." <tsc@...>,
    > "
    discuss@..." <discuss@...>
    > Date: 05/08/2013 02:52 PM
    > Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] [OpenDaylight Discuss]  Next Hackfest Dates
    > Sent by:
    tsc-bounces@...
    >
    > A few have pinged me asking me to be crystal clear about what I
    > said, so here goes:
    >
    > I personally have been following the discussions and presentations
    > on the merge question and believe the proposal on the table from
    > Chris et al answers the question in a sufficiently detailed,
    > objective and sound manner for us to move forward. Based on that, I
    > do not see any benefit in extending the time we need to decide on
    > this proposal unless there is additional (substantive) discussion
    > that materializes in the very near future.
    >
    > --Tom
    >
    > From: Thomas Nadeau <
    tnadeau@...>
    > Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 3:26 PM
    > To: Abhishek Chauhan <
    Abhishek.Chauhan@...>, Rob Sherwood <
    >
    rob.sherwood@...>, Phil Robb <probb@...>
    > Cc: "
    tsc@..." <tsc@...>, "
    >
    discuss@..." <discuss@...>
    > Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight Discuss] [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates
    >
    > Thanks for clarifying my point. *)
    >
    > Adding discuss list too.
    >
    > --Tom
    >
    > From: Abhishek Chauhan <
    Abhishek.Chauhan@...>
    > Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 3:22 PM
    > To: Thomas Nadeau <
    tnadeau@...>, Rob Sherwood <
    >
    rob.sherwood@...>, Phil Robb <probb@...>
    > Cc: "
    tsc@..." <tsc@...>
    > Subject: RE: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates
    >
    > I should have employed more precision below.
    >  
    > To be clear – I agree with Tom, that we should keep the current pace
    > on the controller unification efforts, and not couple it with the hackfest.
    >  
    > -abhishek
    >  
    > From: Abhishek Chauhan
    > Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 12:14 PM
    > To: Thomas Nadeau; Rob Sherwood; Phil Robb
    > Cc:
    tsc@...
    > Subject: RE: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates
    >  
    > I agree.
    >  
    > --
    > abhishek
    >  
    > From:
    tsc-bounces@... [mailto:tsc-
    >
    bounces@...] On Behalf Of Thomas Nadeau
    > Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 12:06 PM
    > To: Rob Sherwood; Phil Robb
    > Cc:
    tsc@...
    > Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates
    >  
    >  
    > I personally would rather not delay the decisions that need to be
    > made until June.
    >  
    > --Tom
    >  
    >  
    > From: Rob Sherwood <
    rob.sherwood@...>
    > Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 1:50 PM
    > To: Phil Robb <
    probb@...>
    > Cc: "
    tsc@..." <tsc@...>
    > Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates
    >  
    > Question:
    >  
    > There was some talk (suggested by Chris Wright, IIRC) about trying
    > to coordinate the controller merge proposals evaluation/decision
    > process with the hackfest.  Now that the hackfest dates are being
    > moved out, do we still want to do this?
    >  
    > I would suggest yes, but I wonder what others think.
    >  
    > - Rob
    > .
    >  
    > On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Phil Robb <
    probb@...> wrote:
    > Hello TSC:
    >  
    > As you know we have been working on the dates for the next Hackfest.
    > While we were quite close on one upcoming date, we have had multiple
    > requests to schedule the next hackfest later.  The new proposed
    > date/location for the next hackfest is:
    >  
    > When: June 6th and 7th, 2013.
    > Where: Hotel Valencia at Santana Row (San Jose)
    >  
    > Pushing back the date provides a variety of benefits including more
    > time for participants to make travel arrangements resulting in
    > significantly higher attendance.
    >  
    > My apologies if this has caused anyone significant inconvenience.
    >  
    > TSC members, please let me know if you will be able to attend.
    >  
    > If there is reasonable representation from the TSC,  we will lock
    > this date down and send a broader announcement to the full developercommunity.
    >  
    > Phil.
    > --
    > Phil Robb
    > Director - Networking Solutions
    > The Linux Foundation
    > (O) 970-229-5949
    > (M) 970-420-4292
    > Skype: Phil.Robb
    >
    > _______________________________________________
    > TSC mailing list
    >
    TSC@...
    >
    https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc
    >  _______________________________________________
    > TSC mailing list
    >
    TSC@...
    >
    https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc_______________________________________________
    TSC mailing list
    TSC@...
    https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc


Re: [OpenDaylight Discuss] Next Hackfest Dates

Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>
 


We intend to make our contribution (and start developing code) in the context of Dixon-Ericsson proposal because it makes most sense to us. I'd like to move forward with this as soon as possible.

--Tom


I feel a bit sheepish after you saying "to be crystal clear" in the first sentence, but I'm still a bit confused.

Are you saying that you agree with
(1) the proposal that Dave Erickson and I put forward for how to merge the two controllers?
(2) the proposal that Chris Wright made to try to decide the issue before the hackfest?
(3) or both?

Thanks,
--Colin

tsc-bounces@... wrote on 05/08/2013 02:48:09 PM:
> From: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>

> To: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>, Abhishek Chauhan
> <Abhishek.Chauhan@...>, Rob Sherwood
> <rob.sherwood@...>, Phil Robb <probb@...>

> Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>,
> "discuss@..." <discuss@...>

> Date: 05/08/2013 02:52 PM
> Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] [OpenDaylight Discuss]  Next Hackfest Dates
> Sent by: tsc-bounces@...
>
> A few have pinged me asking me to be crystal clear about what I
> said, so here goes:

>
> I personally have been following the discussions and presentations
> on the merge question and believe the proposal on the table from
> Chris et al answers the question in a sufficiently detailed,
> objective and sound manner for us to move forward. Based on that, I
> do not see any benefit in extending the time we need to decide on
> this proposal unless there is additional (substantive) discussion
> that materializes in the very near future.

>
> --Tom

>
> From: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>
> Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 3:26 PM
> To: Abhishek Chauhan <Abhishek.Chauhan@...>, Rob Sherwood <
> rob.sherwood@...>, Phil Robb <probb@...>
> Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>, "
> discuss@..." <discuss@...>
> Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight Discuss] [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates

>
> Thanks for clarifying my point. *)

>
> Adding discuss list too.

>
> --Tom

>
> From: Abhishek Chauhan <Abhishek.Chauhan@...>
> Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 3:22 PM
> To: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>, Rob Sherwood <
> rob.sherwood@...>, Phil Robb <probb@...>
> Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
> Subject: RE: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates

>
> I should have employed more precision below.

>  
> To be clear – I agree with Tom, that we should keep the current pace
> on the controller unification efforts, and not couple it with the hackfest.

>  
> -abhishek
>  
> From: Abhishek Chauhan
> Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 12:14 PM
> To: Thomas Nadeau; Rob Sherwood; Phil Robb
> Cc: tsc@...
> Subject: RE: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates

>  
> I agree.
>  
> --
> abhishek
>  
> From:tsc-bounces@... [mailto:tsc-
> bounces@...] On Behalf Of Thomas Nadeau
> Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 12:06 PM
> To: Rob Sherwood; Phil Robb
> Cc: tsc@...
> Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates

>  
>  
> I personally would rather not delay the decisions that need to be
> made until June.

>  
> --Tom
>  
>  
> From: Rob Sherwood <rob.sherwood@...>
> Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 1:50 PM
> To: Phil Robb <probb@...>
> Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
> Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates

>  
> Question:
>  
> There was some talk (suggested by Chris Wright, IIRC) about trying
> to coordinate the controller merge proposals evaluation/decision
> process with the hackfest.  Now that the hackfest dates are being
> moved out, do we still want to do this?

>  
> I would suggest yes, but I wonder what others think.
>  
> - Rob
> .
>  
> On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Phil Robb <probb@...> wrote:
> Hello TSC:
>  
> As you know we have been working on the dates for the next Hackfest.
> While we were quite close on one upcoming date, we have had multiple
> requests to schedule the next hackfest later.  The new proposed
> date/location for the next hackfest is:

>  
> When: June 6th and 7th, 2013.
> Where: Hotel Valencia at Santana Row (San Jose)
>  
> Pushing back the date provides a variety of benefits including more
> time for participants to make travel arrangements resulting in
> significantly higher attendance.

>  
> My apologies if this has caused anyone significant inconvenience.
>  
> TSC members, please let me know if you will be able to attend.
>  
> If there is reasonable representation from the TSC,  we will lock
> this date down and send a broader announcement to the full developercommunity.

>  
> Phil.
> --

> Phil Robb
> Director - Networking Solutions
> The Linux Foundation
> (O) 970-229-5949
> (M) 970-420-4292
> Skype: Phil.Robb
>
> _______________________________________________
> TSC mailing list
> TSC@...
> https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc

>  _______________________________________________
> TSC mailing list
> TSC@...
> https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc


Re: [OpenDaylight Discuss] Next Hackfest Dates

Colin Dixon <ckd@...>
 

I feel a bit sheepish after you saying "to be crystal clear" in the first sentence, but I'm still a bit confused.

Are you saying that you agree with
(1) the proposal that Dave Erickson and I put forward for how to merge the two controllers?
(2) the proposal that Chris Wright made to try to decide the issue before the hackfest?
(3) or both?

Thanks,
--Colin

tsc-bounces@... wrote on 05/08/2013 02:48:09 PM:
> From: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>

> To: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>, Abhishek Chauhan
> <Abhishek.Chauhan@...>, Rob Sherwood
> <rob.sherwood@...>, Phil Robb <probb@...>

> Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>,
> "discuss@..." <discuss@...>

> Date: 05/08/2013 02:52 PM
> Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] [OpenDaylight Discuss]  Next Hackfest Dates
> Sent by: tsc-bounces@...
>
> A few have pinged me asking me to be crystal clear about what I
> said, so here goes:

>
> I personally have been following the discussions and presentations
> on the merge question and believe the proposal on the table from
> Chris et al answers the question in a sufficiently detailed,
> objective and sound manner for us to move forward. Based on that, I
> do not see any benefit in extending the time we need to decide on
> this proposal unless there is additional (substantive) discussion
> that materializes in the very near future.

>
> --Tom

>
> From: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>
> Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 3:26 PM
> To: Abhishek Chauhan <Abhishek.Chauhan@...>, Rob Sherwood <
> rob.sherwood@...>, Phil Robb <probb@...>
> Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>, "
> discuss@..." <discuss@...>
> Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight Discuss] [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates

>
> Thanks for clarifying my point. *)

>
> Adding discuss list too.

>
> --Tom

>
> From: Abhishek Chauhan <Abhishek.Chauhan@...>
> Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 3:22 PM
> To: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>, Rob Sherwood <
> rob.sherwood@...>, Phil Robb <probb@...>
> Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
> Subject: RE: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates

>
> I should have employed more precision below.

>  
> To be clear – I agree with Tom, that we should keep the current pace
> on the controller unification efforts, and not couple it with the hackfest.

>  
> -abhishek
>  
> From: Abhishek Chauhan
> Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 12:14 PM
> To: Thomas Nadeau; Rob Sherwood; Phil Robb
> Cc: tsc@...
> Subject: RE: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates

>  
> I agree.
>  
> --
> abhishek
>  
> From:tsc-bounces@... [mailto:tsc-
> bounces@...] On Behalf Of Thomas Nadeau
> Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 12:06 PM
> To: Rob Sherwood; Phil Robb
> Cc: tsc@...
> Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates

>  
>  
> I personally would rather not delay the decisions that need to be
> made until June.

>  
> --Tom
>  
>  
> From: Rob Sherwood <rob.sherwood@...>
> Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 1:50 PM
> To: Phil Robb <probb@...>
> Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
> Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates

>  
> Question:
>  
> There was some talk (suggested by Chris Wright, IIRC) about trying
> to coordinate the controller merge proposals evaluation/decision
> process with the hackfest.  Now that the hackfest dates are being
> moved out, do we still want to do this?

>  
> I would suggest yes, but I wonder what others think.
>  
> - Rob
> .
>  
> On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Phil Robb <probb@...> wrote:
> Hello TSC:
>  
> As you know we have been working on the dates for the next Hackfest.
> While we were quite close on one upcoming date, we have had multiple
> requests to schedule the next hackfest later.  The new proposed
> date/location for the next hackfest is:

>  
> When: June 6th and 7th, 2013.
> Where: Hotel Valencia at Santana Row (San Jose)
>  
> Pushing back the date provides a variety of benefits including more
> time for participants to make travel arrangements resulting in
> significantly higher attendance.

>  
> My apologies if this has caused anyone significant inconvenience.
>  
> TSC members, please let me know if you will be able to attend.
>  
> If there is reasonable representation from the TSC,  we will lock
> this date down and send a broader announcement to the full developercommunity.

>  
> Phil.
> --

> Phil Robb
> Director - Networking Solutions
> The Linux Foundation
> (O) 970-229-5949
> (M) 970-420-4292
> Skype: Phil.Robb
>
> _______________________________________________
> TSC mailing list
> TSC@...
> https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc

>  _______________________________________________
> TSC mailing list
> TSC@...
> https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc


Re: [OpenDaylight Discuss] Next Hackfest Dates

Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>
 


A few have pinged me asking me to be crystal clear about what I said, so here goes:

I personally have been following the discussions and presentations on the merge question and believe the proposal on the table from Chris et al answers the question in a sufficiently detailed, objective and sound manner for us to move forward. Based on that, I do not see any benefit in extending the time we need to decide on this proposal unless there is additional (substantive) discussion that materializes in the very near future.

--Tom


From: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 3:26 PM
To: Abhishek Chauhan <Abhishek.Chauhan@...>, Rob Sherwood <rob.sherwood@...>, Phil Robb <probb@...>
Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>, "discuss@..." <discuss@...>
Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight Discuss] [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates

Thanks for clarifying my point. *)

Adding discuss list too.

--Tom



From: Abhishek Chauhan <Abhishek.Chauhan@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 3:22 PM
To: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>, Rob Sherwood <rob.sherwood@...>, Phil Robb <probb@...>
Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Subject: RE: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates

I should have employed more precision below.

 

To be clear – I agree with Tom, that we should keep the current pace on the controller unification efforts, and not couple it with the hackfest.

 

-abhishek

 

From: Abhishek Chauhan
Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 12:14 PM
To: Thomas Nadeau; Rob Sherwood; Phil Robb
Cc: tsc@...
Subject: RE: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates

 

I agree.

 

--

abhishek

 

From:tsc-bounces@... [mailto:tsc-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Thomas Nadeau
Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 12:06 PM
To: Rob Sherwood; Phil Robb
Cc: tsc@...
Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates

 

 

I personally would rather not delay the decisions that need to be made until June. 

 

--Tom

 

 

From: Rob Sherwood <rob.sherwood@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 1:50 PM
To: Phil Robb <probb@...>
Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates

 

Question:

 

There was some talk (suggested by Chris Wright, IIRC) about trying to coordinate the controller merge proposals evaluation/decision process with the hackfest.  Now that the hackfest dates are being moved out, do we still want to do this?

 

I would suggest yes, but I wonder what others think.

 

- Rob

.

 

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Phil Robb <probb@...> wrote:

Hello TSC:

 

As you know we have been working on the dates for the next Hackfest.  While we were quite close on one upcoming date, we have had multiple requests to schedule the next hackfest later.  The new proposed date/location for the next hackfest is:

 

When: June 6th and 7th, 2013.

Where: Hotel Valencia at Santana Row (San Jose)

 

Pushing back the date provides a variety of benefits including more time for participants to make travel arrangements resulting in significantly higher attendance.

 

My apologies if this has caused anyone significant inconvenience.

 

TSC members, please let me know if you will be able to attend.

 

If there is reasonable representation from the TSC,  we will lock this date down and send a broader announcement to the full developer community.

 

Phil.
--

Phil Robb

Director - Networking Solutions

The Linux Foundation

Skype: Phil.Robb


_______________________________________________
TSC mailing list
TSC@...
https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc

 


Re: Next Hackfest Dates

Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>
 

Thanks for clarifying my point. *)

Adding discuss list too.

--Tom



From: Abhishek Chauhan <Abhishek.Chauhan@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 3:22 PM
To: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>, Rob Sherwood <rob.sherwood@...>, Phil Robb <probb@...>
Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Subject: RE: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates

I should have employed more precision below.

 

To be clear – I agree with Tom, that we should keep the current pace on the controller unification efforts, and not couple it with the hackfest.

 

-abhishek

 

From: Abhishek Chauhan
Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 12:14 PM
To: Thomas Nadeau; Rob Sherwood; Phil Robb
Cc: tsc@...
Subject: RE: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates

 

I agree.

 

--

abhishek

 

From:tsc-bounces@... [mailto:tsc-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Thomas Nadeau
Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 12:06 PM
To: Rob Sherwood; Phil Robb
Cc: tsc@...
Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates

 

 

I personally would rather not delay the decisions that need to be made until June. 

 

--Tom

 

 

From: Rob Sherwood <rob.sherwood@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 1:50 PM
To: Phil Robb <probb@...>
Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates

 

Question:

 

There was some talk (suggested by Chris Wright, IIRC) about trying to coordinate the controller merge proposals evaluation/decision process with the hackfest.  Now that the hackfest dates are being moved out, do we still want to do this?

 

I would suggest yes, but I wonder what others think.

 

- Rob

.

 

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Phil Robb <probb@...> wrote:

Hello TSC:

 

As you know we have been working on the dates for the next Hackfest.  While we were quite close on one upcoming date, we have had multiple requests to schedule the next hackfest later.  The new proposed date/location for the next hackfest is:

 

When: June 6th and 7th, 2013.

Where: Hotel Valencia at Santana Row (San Jose)

 

Pushing back the date provides a variety of benefits including more time for participants to make travel arrangements resulting in significantly higher attendance.

 

My apologies if this has caused anyone significant inconvenience.

 

TSC members, please let me know if you will be able to attend.

 

If there is reasonable representation from the TSC,  we will lock this date down and send a broader announcement to the full developer community.

 

Phil.
--

Phil Robb

Director - Networking Solutions

The Linux Foundation

Skype: Phil.Robb


_______________________________________________
TSC mailing list
TSC@...
https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc

 


Re: Next Hackfest Dates

Chris Wright <chrisw@...>
 

* David Meyer (dmm@...) wrote:
On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 12:02 PM, David Meyer <dmm@...> wrote:
On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Rob Sherwood
<rob.sherwood@...> wrote:
There was some talk (suggested by Chris Wright, IIRC) about trying to
coordinate the controller merge proposals evaluation/decision process with
the hackfest. Now that the hackfest dates are being moved out, do we still
want to do this?
Yes, I did make that suggestion, in the context of hackfest II being
in 2wks. With new dates, I think we'd be better served exectuing against
a developing plan and actively hacking on code.

thanks,
-chris


Re: Next Hackfest Dates

Abhishek Chauhan
 

I should have employed more precision below.

 

To be clear – I agree with Tom, that we should keep the current pace on the controller unification efforts, and not couple it with the hackfest.

 

-abhishek

 

From: Abhishek Chauhan
Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 12:14 PM
To: Thomas Nadeau; Rob Sherwood; Phil Robb
Cc: tsc@...
Subject: RE: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates

 

I agree.

 

--

abhishek

 

From: tsc-bounces@... [mailto:tsc-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Thomas Nadeau
Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 12:06 PM
To: Rob Sherwood; Phil Robb
Cc: tsc@...
Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates

 

 

I personally would rather not delay the decisions that need to be made until June. 

 

--Tom

 

 

From: Rob Sherwood <rob.sherwood@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 1:50 PM
To: Phil Robb <probb@...>
Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates

 

Question:

 

There was some talk (suggested by Chris Wright, IIRC) about trying to coordinate the controller merge proposals evaluation/decision process with the hackfest.  Now that the hackfest dates are being moved out, do we still want to do this?

 

I would suggest yes, but I wonder what others think.

 

- Rob

.

 

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Phil Robb <probb@...> wrote:

Hello TSC:

 

As you know we have been working on the dates for the next Hackfest.  While we were quite close on one upcoming date, we have had multiple requests to schedule the next hackfest later.  The new proposed date/location for the next hackfest is:

 

When: June 6th and 7th, 2013.

Where: Hotel Valencia at Santana Row (San Jose)

 

Pushing back the date provides a variety of benefits including more time for participants to make travel arrangements resulting in significantly higher attendance.

 

My apologies if this has caused anyone significant inconvenience.

 

TSC members, please let me know if you will be able to attend.

 

If there is reasonable representation from the TSC,  we will lock this date down and send a broader announcement to the full developer community.

 

Phil.
--

Phil Robb

Director - Networking Solutions

The Linux Foundation

Skype: Phil.Robb


_______________________________________________
TSC mailing list
TSC@...
https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc

 


Re: Next Hackfest Dates

Abhishek Chauhan
 

I agree.

 

--

abhishek

 

From: tsc-bounces@... [mailto:tsc-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Thomas Nadeau
Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 12:06 PM
To: Rob Sherwood; Phil Robb
Cc: tsc@...
Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates

 

 

I personally would rather not delay the decisions that need to be made until June. 

 

--Tom

 

 

From: Rob Sherwood <rob.sherwood@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 1:50 PM
To: Phil Robb <probb@...>
Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates

 

Question:

 

There was some talk (suggested by Chris Wright, IIRC) about trying to coordinate the controller merge proposals evaluation/decision process with the hackfest.  Now that the hackfest dates are being moved out, do we still want to do this?

 

I would suggest yes, but I wonder what others think.

 

- Rob

.

 

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Phil Robb <probb@...> wrote:

Hello TSC:

 

As you know we have been working on the dates for the next Hackfest.  While we were quite close on one upcoming date, we have had multiple requests to schedule the next hackfest later.  The new proposed date/location for the next hackfest is:

 

When: June 6th and 7th, 2013.

Where: Hotel Valencia at Santana Row (San Jose)

 

Pushing back the date provides a variety of benefits including more time for participants to make travel arrangements resulting in significantly higher attendance.

 

My apologies if this has caused anyone significant inconvenience.

 

TSC members, please let me know if you will be able to attend.

 

If there is reasonable representation from the TSC,  we will lock this date down and send a broader announcement to the full developer community.

 

Phil.
--

Phil Robb

Director - Networking Solutions

The Linux Foundation

Skype: Phil.Robb


_______________________________________________
TSC mailing list
TSC@...
https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc

 


Re: Next Hackfest Dates

Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>
 


I personally would rather not delay the decisions that need to be made until June. 

--Tom


From: Rob Sherwood <rob.sherwood@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 1:50 PM
To: Phil Robb <probb@...>
Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates

Question:

There was some talk (suggested by Chris Wright, IIRC) about trying to coordinate the controller merge proposals evaluation/decision process with the hackfest.  Now that the hackfest dates are being moved out, do we still want to do this?

I would suggest yes, but I wonder what others think.

- Rob
.


On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Phil Robb <probb@...> wrote:
Hello TSC:

As you know we have been working on the dates for the next Hackfest.  While we were quite close on one upcoming date, we have had multiple requests to schedule the next hackfest later.  The new proposed date/location for the next hackfest is:

When: June 6th and 7th, 2013.
Where: Hotel Valencia at Santana Row (San Jose)

Pushing back the date provides a variety of benefits including more time for participants to make travel arrangements resulting in significantly higher attendance.

My apologies if this has caused anyone significant inconvenience.

TSC members, please let me know if you will be able to attend.

If there is reasonable representation from the TSC,  we will lock this date down and send a broader announcement to the full developer community.

Phil.
--
Phil Robb
Director - Networking Solutions
The Linux Foundation
Skype: Phil.Robb

_______________________________________________
TSC mailing list
TSC@...
https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc



Re: Next Hackfest Dates

David Meyer <dmm@...>
 

adding discuss@lists...

--dmm

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 12:02 PM, David Meyer <dmm@...> wrote:
On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Rob Sherwood
<rob.sherwood@...> wrote:
Question:

There was some talk (suggested by Chris Wright, IIRC) about trying to
coordinate the controller merge proposals evaluation/decision process with
the hackfest. Now that the hackfest dates are being moved out, do we still
want to do this?

I would suggest yes, but I wonder what others think.
I disagree. We have a fairly detailed proposal from the ODP community
on the table, and IMO we should use the hackfest as it should be used,
for people to write code and get things working. There are plenty of
opportunities in the existing proposal for people to do work in either
code base, on their own contributions, or something else.

In short, I see the merge question as resolved, at least structurally,
and I don't want to delay building the ODP community (and artifacts)
any further, which a delay such as you are suggesting would do.

Summary: (i). I see the merge question as basically resolved, and
(ii). I don't want to delay further on this question and using the
hackfest to retrace the Dixon-Ericsson proposal would do just that.


--dmm


- Rob
.


On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Phil Robb <probb@...> wrote:

Hello TSC:

As you know we have been working on the dates for the next Hackfest.
While we were quite close on one upcoming date, we have had multiple
requests to schedule the next hackfest later. The new proposed
date/location for the next hackfest is:

When: June 6th and 7th, 2013.
Where: Hotel Valencia at Santana Row (San Jose)

Pushing back the date provides a variety of benefits including more time
for participants to make travel arrangements resulting in significantly
higher attendance.

My apologies if this has caused anyone significant inconvenience.

TSC members, please let me know if you will be able to attend.

If there is reasonable representation from the TSC, we will lock this
date down and send a broader announcement to the full developer community.

Phil.
--
Phil Robb
Director - Networking Solutions
The Linux Foundation
(O) 970-229-5949
(M) 970-420-4292
Skype: Phil.Robb

_______________________________________________
TSC mailing list
TSC@...
https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc

_______________________________________________
TSC mailing list
TSC@...
https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc


Re: Next Hackfest Dates

David Meyer <dmm@...>
 

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Rob Sherwood
<rob.sherwood@...> wrote:
Question:

There was some talk (suggested by Chris Wright, IIRC) about trying to
coordinate the controller merge proposals evaluation/decision process with
the hackfest. Now that the hackfest dates are being moved out, do we still
want to do this?

I would suggest yes, but I wonder what others think.
I disagree. We have a fairly detailed proposal from the ODP community
on the table, and IMO we should use the hackfest as it should be used,
for people to write code and get things working. There are plenty of
opportunities in the existing proposal for people to do work in either
code base, on their own contributions, or something else.

In short, I see the merge question as resolved, at least structurally,
and I don't want to delay building the ODP community (and artifacts)
any further, which a delay such as you are suggesting would do.

Summary: (i). I see the merge question as basically resolved, and
(ii). I don't want to delay further on this question and using the
hackfest to retrace the Dixon-Ericsson proposal would do just that.


--dmm


- Rob
.


On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Phil Robb <probb@...> wrote:

Hello TSC:

As you know we have been working on the dates for the next Hackfest.
While we were quite close on one upcoming date, we have had multiple
requests to schedule the next hackfest later. The new proposed
date/location for the next hackfest is:

When: June 6th and 7th, 2013.
Where: Hotel Valencia at Santana Row (San Jose)

Pushing back the date provides a variety of benefits including more time
for participants to make travel arrangements resulting in significantly
higher attendance.

My apologies if this has caused anyone significant inconvenience.

TSC members, please let me know if you will be able to attend.

If there is reasonable representation from the TSC, we will lock this
date down and send a broader announcement to the full developer community.

Phil.
--
Phil Robb
Director - Networking Solutions
The Linux Foundation
(O) 970-229-5949
(M) 970-420-4292
Skype: Phil.Robb

_______________________________________________
TSC mailing list
TSC@...
https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc

_______________________________________________
TSC mailing list
TSC@...
https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc

14201 - 14220 of 14353