From: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 3:26 PM
To: Abhishek Chauhan <Abhishek.Chauhan@...>, Rob Sherwood <rob.sherwood@...>, Phil Robb <probb@...>
Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>, "discuss@..." <discuss@...>
Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight Discuss] [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates

Thanks for clarifying my point. *)

Adding discuss list too.

--Tom

From: Abhishek Chauhan <Abhishek.Chauhan@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 3:22 PM
To: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>, Rob Sherwood <rob.sherwood@...>, Phil Robb <probb@...>
Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Subject: RE: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates

I should have employed more precision below.

To be clear – I agree with Tom, that we should keep the current pace on the controller unification efforts, and not couple it with the hackfest.

-abhishek

From: Rob Sherwood <rob.sherwood@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 1:50 PM
To: Phil Robb <probb@...>
Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>

Question:

There was some talk (suggested by Chris Wright, IIRC) about trying to coordinate the controller merge proposals evaluation/decision process with the hackfest.  Now that the hackfest dates are being moved out, do we still want to do this?

I would suggest yes, but I wonder what others think.

- Rob

.

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Phil Robb <probb@...> wrote:

Hello TSC:

As you know we have been working on the dates for the next Hackfest.  While we were quite close on one upcoming date, we have had multiple requests to schedule the next hackfest later.  The new proposed date/location for the next hackfest is:

When: June 6th and 7th, 2013.

Where: Hotel Valencia at Santana Row (San Jose)

Pushing back the date provides a variety of benefits including more time for participants to make travel arrangements resulting in significantly higher attendance.

My apologies if this has caused anyone significant inconvenience.

TSC members, please let me know if you will be able to attend.

If there is reasonable representation from the TSC,  we will lock this date down and send a broader announcement to the full developer community.

Phil.
--

Phil Robb

Director - Networking Solutions

The Linux Foundation

Skype: Phil.Robb

Re: [OpenDaylight Discuss] Next Hackfest Dates

Colin Dixon <ckd@...>

I feel a bit sheepish after you saying "to be crystal clear" in the first sentence, but I'm still a bit confused.

Are you saying that you agree with
(1) the proposal that Dave Erickson and I put forward for how to merge the two controllers?
(2) the proposal that Chris Wright made to try to decide the issue before the hackfest?
(3) or both?

tsc-bounces@... wrote on 05/08/2013 02:48:09 PM:
> From: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>

> To: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>, Abhishek Chauhan
> <Abhishek.Chauhan@...>, Rob Sherwood
> <rob.sherwood@...>, Phil Robb <probb@...>

> Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>,
> "discuss@..." <discuss@...>

> Date: 05/08/2013 02:52 PM
> Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] [OpenDaylight Discuss]  Next Hackfest Dates
> Sent by: tsc-bounces@...
>
> A few have pinged me asking me to be crystal clear about what I
> said, so here goes:

> I personally have been following the discussions and presentations
> on the merge question and believe the proposal on the table from
> Chris et al answers the question in a sufficiently detailed,
> objective and sound manner for us to move forward. Based on that, I
> do not see any benefit in extending the time we need to decide on
> this proposal unless there is additional (substantive) discussion
> that materializes in the very near future.

> --Tom

> From: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>
> Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 3:26 PM
> To: Abhishek Chauhan <Abhishek.Chauhan@...>, Rob Sherwood <
> rob.sherwood@...>, Phil Robb <probb@...>
> Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>, "
> discuss@..." <discuss@...>
> Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight Discuss] [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates

> Thanks for clarifying my point. *)

> Adding discuss list too.

> --Tom

> From: Abhishek Chauhan <Abhishek.Chauhan@...>
> Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 3:22 PM
> To: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>, Rob Sherwood <
> rob.sherwood@...>, Phil Robb <probb@...>
> Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
> Subject: RE: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates

> I should have employed more precision below.

> To be clear – I agree with Tom, that we should keep the current pace
> on the controller unification efforts, and not couple it with the hackfest.

> -abhishek

Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>

We intend to make our contribution (and start developing code) in the context of Dixon-Ericsson proposal because it makes most sense to us. I'd like to move forward with this as soon as possible.

--Tom

I feel a bit sheepish after you saying "to be crystal clear" in the first sentence, but I'm still a bit confused.

Are you saying that you agree with
(1) the proposal that Dave Erickson and I put forward for how to merge the two controllers?
(2) the proposal that Chris Wright made to try to decide the issue before the hackfest?
(3) or both?

tsc-bounces@... wrote on 05/08/2013 02:48:09 PM:
> From: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>

> To: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>, Abhishek Chauhan
> <Abhishek.Chauhan@...>, Rob Sherwood
> <rob.sherwood@...>, Phil Robb <probb@...>

> Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>,
> "discuss@..." <discuss@...>

> Date: 05/08/2013 02:52 PM
> Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] [OpenDaylight Discuss]  Next Hackfest Dates
> Sent by: tsc-bounces@...
>
> A few have pinged me asking me to be crystal clear about what I
> said, so here goes:

> I personally have been following the discussions and presentations
> on the merge question and believe the proposal on the table from
> Chris et al answers the question in a sufficiently detailed,
> objective and sound manner for us to move forward. Based on that, I
> do not see any benefit in extending the time we need to decide on
> this proposal unless there is additional (substantive) discussion
> that materializes in the very near future.

> --Tom

> From: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>
> Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 3:26 PM
> To: Abhishek Chauhan <Abhishek.Chauhan@...>, Rob Sherwood <
> rob.sherwood@...>, Phil Robb <probb@...>
> Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>, "
> discuss@..." <discuss@...>
> Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight Discuss] [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates

> Thanks for clarifying my point. *)

> Adding discuss list too.

> --Tom

> From: Abhishek Chauhan <Abhishek.Chauhan@...>
> Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 3:22 PM
> To: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>, Rob Sherwood <
> rob.sherwood@...>, Phil Robb <probb@...>
> Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
> Subject: RE: [OpenDaylight TSC] Next Hackfest Dates

> I should have employed more precision below.

> To be clear – I agree with Tom, that we should keep the current pace
> on the controller unification efforts, and not couple it with the hackfest.

> -abhishek

Vijoy Pandey <vijoy.pandey@...>

Folks,

The Dixon-Erickson (DE) proposal has been built from the ground up looking at the various pros and cons of the two controller bases. I believe its unbiased, has solid technical merit, its open and frankly, its the best proposal we have.

I think we should start using this proposal as the guideline to actually start the code and merge the controller bases into one, and start writing applications around it - Anees, Colin and the team from IBM will start working on this direction right away.

-vijoy

Thomas Nadeau ---05/08/2013 01:51:18 PM---We intend to make our contribution (and start developing code) in the context of Dixon-Ericsson prop

From: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>
To: Colin Dixon/Austin/IBM@IBMUS,
Cc: "discuss@..." <discuss@...>, "tsc-bounces@..." <tsc-bounces@...>, "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Date: 05/08/2013 01:51 PM
Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] [OpenDaylight Discuss]  Next Hackfest Dates
Sent by: tsc-bounces@...

    tnadeau@...>
    tnadeau@...>, Abhishek Chauhan
    tsc@..." <tsc@...>,
    discuss@..." <discuss@...>

    tnadeau@...>, Rob Sherwood <

    probb@...>

    probb@...> wrote:
    > Hello TSC:
    >
    > As you know we have been working on the dates for the next Hackfest.
    > While we were quite close on one upcoming date, we have had multiple
    > requests to schedule the next hackfest later.  The new proposed
    > date/location for the next hackfest is:
    >
    > When: June 6th and 7th, 2013.
    > Where: Hotel Valencia at Santana Row (San Jose)
    >
    > Pushing back the date provides a variety of benefits including more
    > time for participants to make travel arrangements resulting in
    > significantly higher attendance.
    >
    > My apologies if this has caused anyone significant inconvenience.
    >
    > TSC members, please let me know if you will be able to attend.
    >
    > If there is reasonable representation from the TSC,  we will lock
    > this date down and send a broader announcement to the full developercommunity.
    >
    > Phil.
    > --
    > Phil Robb
    > Director - Networking Solutions
    > The Linux Foundation
    > (O) 970-229-5949
    > (M) 970-420-4292
    > Skype: Phil.Robb

Re: [OpenDaylight Discuss] Next Hackfest Dates

Rob Sherwood

Hi all,

Apologies if I've been slow to reply, but it's been because I've been heads down reading code and meeting with our top engineers discussing the proposal.  Colin and Dave have done a great job throwing together something that looks good on paper, but given that BSN is going to bet the entire company on this project, it's important that we really drive down to a fine level of detail to convince ourselves that this makes sense and is feasible.

So, while I had talked with Colin a bit before the proposal came to light three days ago, only since then am I really starting to understand the implications of it, and I'm sorry to say that I have an increasing number of concerns about this merging proposal particularly around building on the SAL in its current form.

I'm doing my best to document these concerns and bring them to public discussion ASAP but some of them are very subtle (e..g, "yes, some of the function prototypes do _look_ the same, but the consistency guarantees are different, so this is a huge amount of work to port") and so it's a bit slow going.

The bottom line is that I'm rushing to get feedback on this and I'm very worried about people pre-supposing that "no news is good news".  While we're definitely behind the high level idea of a "best of breed" merged controller, I think we're going to have to weigh in with a different view on how to get there.

I'll be working on this all night to see if I can get something in front of the TSC by tomorrow.

- Rob
.

From: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>
To: Colin Dixon/Austin/IBM@IBMUS,
Cc: "discuss@..." <discuss@...>, "tsc-bounces@..." <tsc-bounces@...>, "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Date: 05/08/2013 01:51 PM

Sent by: tsc-bounces@...

    tnadeau@...>
    tnadeau@...>, Abhishek Chauhan
    tsc@..." <tsc@...>,
    discuss@..." <discuss@...>

    tnadeau@...>, Rob Sherwood <

    probb@...>

    probb@...> wrote:
    > Hello TSC:
    >
    > As you know we have been working on the dates for the next Hackfest.
    > While we were quite close on one upcoming date, we have had multiple
    > requests to schedule the next hackfest later.  The new proposed
    > date/location for the next hackfest is:
    >
    > When: June 6th and 7th, 2013.
    > Where: Hotel Valencia at Santana Row (San Jose)
    >
    > Pushing back the date provides a variety of benefits including more
    > time for participants to make travel arrangements resulting in
    > significantly higher attendance.
    >
    > My apologies if this has caused anyone significant inconvenience.
    >
    > TSC members, please let me know if you will be able to attend.
    >
    > If there is reasonable representation from the TSC,  we will lock
    > this date down and send a broader announcement to the full developercommunity.
    >
    > Phil.
    > --
    > Phil Robb
    > Director - Networking Solutions
    > The Linux Foundation
    > (O) 970-229-5949
    > (M) 970-420-4292
    > Skype: Phil.Robb

    TSC@...

Re: [OpenDaylight Discuss] Next Hackfest Dates

Abhishek Chauhan

In the interest of making progress towards shaping our contribution for ODP, we are also proceeding to develop code with DE proposal as the working assumption.

-abhishek

From: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>
To: Colin Dixon/Austin/IBM@IBMUS,
Cc: "discuss@..." <discuss@...>, "tsc-bounces@..." <tsc-bounces@...>, "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Date: 05/08/2013 01:51 PM
Sent by: tsc-bounces@...

tnadeau@...>
tnadeau@...>, Abhishek Chauhan
tsc@..." <tsc@...>,
discuss@..." <discuss@...>

tnadeau@...>, Rob Sherwood <

probb@...>

probb@...> wrote:
> Hello TSC:
>
> As you know we have been working on the dates for the next Hackfest.
> While we were quite close on one upcoming date, we have had multiple
> requests to schedule the next hackfest later.  The new proposed
> date/location for the next hackfest is:
>
> When: June 6th and 7th, 2013.
> Where: Hotel Valencia at Santana Row (San Jose)
>
> Pushing back the date provides a variety of benefits including more
> time for participants to make travel arrangements resulting in
> significantly higher attendance.
>
> My apologies if this has caused anyone significant inconvenience.
>
> TSC members, please let me know if you will be able to attend.
>
> If there is reasonable representation from the TSC,  we will lock
> this date down and send a broader announcement to the full developercommunity.
>
> Phil.
> --
> Phil Robb
> Director - Networking Solutions
> The Linux Foundation
> (O) 970-229-5949
> (M) 970-420-4292
> Skype: Phil.Robb

Revised merged controller proposal

Rob Sherwood

After looking in depth into the implications of Colin and Dave's proposal, we ran into a bunch of concerns.  Attached is a proposal which we believe addresses those concerns while trying to keep to (at least my understanding of) the spirit of what Colin and Dave were advocating.

I know there's a lot on the TSC agenda, but particularly given the impending deadline, I'd like to get a time slot of discuss this proposal on today's call.

I'll also post this to discuss to see if we can get more comments going than my previous merge d controller proposal.

Open to comments,

- Rob

Revised merged controller proposal

Rob Sherwood

[resending without attachment -- can we please bump up the attachment file limit to something reasonable?]

After looking in depth into the implications of Colin and Dave's proposal, we ran into a bunch of concerns.  Below is a link to a proposal which we believe addresses those concerns while trying to keep to (at least my understanding of) the spirit of what Colin and Dave were advocating.

I know there's a lot on the TSC agenda, but particularly given the impending deadline, I'd like to get a time slot of discuss this proposal on today's call.

I'll also post this to discuss to see if we can get more comments going than my previous merge d controller proposal.

Open to comments,

- Rob
.

Re: Revised merged controller proposal

Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>

On May 9, 2013, at 8:43 AM, "Rob Sherwood" <rob.sherwood@...> wrote:

[resending without attachment -- can we please bump up the attachment file limit to something reasonable?]

After looking in depth into the implications of Colin and Dave's proposal, we ran into a bunch of concerns.  Below is a link to a proposal which we believe addresses those concerns while trying to keep to (at least my understanding of) the spirit of what Colin and Dave were advocating.

I know there's a lot on the TSC agenda, but particularly given the impending deadline, I'd like to get a time slot of discuss this proposal on today's call.

I'd second that request. lets spend as much time on this as we need to discuss today.

Tom

I'll also post this to discuss to see if we can get more comments going than my previous merge d controller proposal.

Open to comments,

- Rob
.

Re: [OpenDaylight Discuss] Next Hackfest Dates

David Meyer <dmm@...>

Rob, I see that you tried to add a pdf to the "layered API proposal" that didn't make it (looks like size limitations). Can you work with Phil to get this posted?

Thnx,

--dmm

From: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>
To: Colin Dixon/Austin/IBM@IBMUS,
Cc: "discuss@..." <discuss@...>, "tsc-bounces@..." <tsc-bounces@...>, "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Date: 05/08/2013 01:51 PM

Sent by: tsc-bounces@...

    tnadeau@...>
    tnadeau@...>, Abhishek Chauhan
    tsc@..." <tsc@...>,
    discuss@..." <discuss@...>

    tnadeau@...>, Rob Sherwood <

    probb@...>

    TSC@...

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 5:43 AM, Rob Sherwood <rob.sherwood@...> wrote:
[resending without attachment -- can we please bump up the attachment file
limit to something reasonable?]

After looking in depth into the implications of Colin and Dave's proposal,
we ran into a bunch of concerns. Below is a link to a proposal which we
believe addresses those concerns while trying to keep to (at least my
understanding of) the spirit of what Colin and Dave were advocating.

I know there's a lot on the TSC agenda, but particularly given the impending
deadline, I'd like to get a time slot of discuss this proposal on today's
call.
Sure. Let me work on the agenda this AM. --dmm

I'll also post this to discuss to see if we can get more comments going than
my previous merge d controller proposal.

Open to comments,

https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/Layered_API_Merged_Controller_Proposal

- Rob
.

Re: [OpenDaylight Discuss] Next Hackfest Dates

Phil Robb

Yea, I'm online now this morning and I'll get all of this moving guys.

Phil.

From: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>
To: Colin Dixon/Austin/IBM@IBMUS,
Cc: "discuss@..." <discuss@...>, "tsc-bounces@..." <tsc-bounces@...>, "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Date: 05/08/2013 01:51 PM

Sent by: tsc-bounces@...

    tnadeau@...>
    tnadeau@...>, Abhishek Chauhan
    tsc@..." <tsc@...>,
    discuss@..." <discuss@...>

    tnadeau@...>, Rob Sherwood <

    probb@...>

    TSC@...

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 5:26 AM, Rob Sherwood <rob.sherwood@...> wrote:
After looking in depth into the implications of Colin and Dave's proposal,
we ran into a bunch of concerns. Attached is a proposal which we believe
addresses those concerns while trying to keep to (at least my understanding
of) the spirit of what Colin and Dave were advocating.

I know there's a lot on the TSC agenda, but particularly given the impending
deadline, I'd like to get a time slot of discuss this proposal on today's
call.

I'll also post this to discuss to see if we can get more comments going than
my previous merge d controller proposal.
BTW, I updated the agenda to give you a slot; I'm thinking now I'm
going to push everything else off so we can discuss moving forward.
Also, thank you for posting your pdf to the discuss list (as you can
see I've copied discuss into this thread). We'll work with Phil to get
the limits on the wiki changed.

Thanks again,

--dmm

Open to comments,

- Rob
.

Re: Revised merged controller proposal

David Meyer <dmm@...>

Actually, now I see you only sent your proposal to tsc@ (unless I
can't keep track of what is cross posted where, which has non-zero
probability). Any reason why it can't go to discuss?

--dmm

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 5:26 AM, Rob Sherwood <rob.sherwood@...> wrote:
After looking in depth into the implications of Colin and Dave's proposal,
we ran into a bunch of concerns. Attached is a proposal which we believe
addresses those concerns while trying to keep to (at least my understanding
of) the spirit of what Colin and Dave were advocating.

I know there's a lot on the TSC agenda, but particularly given the impending
deadline, I'd like to get a time slot of discuss this proposal on today's
call.

I'll also post this to discuss to see if we can get more comments going than
my previous merge d controller proposal.

Open to comments,

- Rob
.

Re: Revised merged controller proposal

Phil Robb

The proposal was waiting on moderator approval this morning and I released it to both Discuss and TSC lists a little while ago.

The wiki issue seems to be a bug I'm working on right now.  The file limit is set to 8M and Rob's proposal pdf is only 1.1M.... so something is wrong... I'll get the doc up on the wiki as soon as we figure it out.

Phil.

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 8:32 AM, David Meyer <dmm@...> wrote:
Actually, now I see you only sent your proposal to tsc@ (unless I
can't keep track of what is cross posted where, which has non-zero
probability). Any reason why it can't go to discuss?

--dmm

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 5:26 AM, Rob Sherwood <rob.sherwood@...> wrote:
> After looking in depth into the implications of Colin and Dave's proposal,
> we ran into a bunch of concerns.  Attached is a proposal which we believe
> addresses those concerns while trying to keep to (at least my understanding
> of) the spirit of what Colin and Dave were advocating.
>
> I know there's a lot on the TSC agenda, but particularly given the impending
> deadline, I'd like to get a time slot of discuss this proposal on today's
> call.
>
> I'll also post this to discuss to see if we can get more comments going than
> my previous merge d controller proposal.
>
> Open to comments,
>
> - Rob
> .

Phil Robb
Director - Networking Solutions
The Linux Foundation
(O) 970-229-5949
(M) 970-420-4292
Skype: Phil.Robb

Re: Revised merged controller proposal

David Meyer <dmm@...>

Thanks Phil. --dmm

wrote:
[...]

OK, I think the wiki is now fixed (thanks as always to Andrew Grimberg's prompt and expert responses).

Rob, can you try to upload the Layered API proposal again?

Phil.

--
Phil Robb
Director - Networking Solutions
The Linux Foundation
(O) 970-229-5949
(M) 970-420-4292
Skype: Phil.Robb

Re: Revised merged controller proposal

David Meyer <dmm@...>

And Rob, can you post to discuss? Thnx, --dmm

wrote:
[...]

Logistics for today's call

Phil Robb

Hello TSC Members:

Here is the meeting access information for today's meeting.  This is the same information currently on the wiki:

When it's time, start the meeting from here:

Agenda
This meeting does not have an agenda.

Access Information
Where: WebEx Online
Meeting number: 194 548 370

Audio Connection
1-855-244-8681 Call-in toll-free number (US/Canada)
1-650-479-3207 Call-in toll number (US/Canada)
Access code: 194 548 370

Best regards,

Phil.

--

Chris Wright <chrisw@...>

* Rob Sherwood (rob.sherwood@...) wrote:
After looking in depth into the implications of Colin and Dave's proposal,
we ran into a bunch of concerns. Attached is a proposal which we believe
addresses those concerns while trying to keep to (at least my understanding
of) the spirit of what Colin and Dave were advocating.

I know there's a lot on the TSC agenda, but particularly given the
impending deadline, I'd like to get a time slot of discuss this proposal on
today's call.
No. Discuss is that way -->> discuss@...

141 - 160 of 14324