Date

Re: [release] [releng][TSC] phosphorus release status - master branch has been locked

Luis Gomez

I think netconf devs got confused on how our CSIT branches work, I do not see any CSIT job for phosphorous and therefore I do not think we are testing netconf in this release:

BR/Luis

On Sep 30, 2021, at 8:19 AM, Daniel de la Rosa <ddelarosa0707@...> wrote:

On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 4:26 AM Robert Varga <nite@...> wrote:

> [...]
>      > It seems that we are still having Bgp and pcep issues but are
>     they all
>      > critical ? Or can we fix them later so we can release phosphorus  ?
>      >
>      > On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 5:08 AM Robert Varga <nite@...
>     <mailto:nite@...>
>      > <mailto:nite@... <mailto:nite@...>>> wrote:
>      >
>      >     On 23/09/2021 05:54, Daniel de la Rosa wrote:
>      >      >
>      >      > Phosphorus AR#212 integration #169 has only one test case
>     failed
>      >      >
>      >      > bgpcep
>      >
>     https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/job/bgpcep-csit-1node-userfeatures-all-phosphorus/167/
>     <https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/job/bgpcep-csit-1node-userfeatures-all-phosphorus/167/>
>      >
>       <https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/job/bgpcep-csit-1node-userfeatures-all-phosphorus/167/ <https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/job/bgpcep-csit-1node-userfeatures-all-phosphorus/167/>>
>      >
>       <https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/job/bgpcep-csit-1node-userfeatures-all-phosphorus/167/ <https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/job/bgpcep-csit-1node-userfeatures-all-phosphorus/167/>
>      >
>       <https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/job/bgpcep-csit-1node-userfeatures-all-phosphorus/167/ <https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/job/bgpcep-csit-1node-userfeatures-all-phosphorus/167/>>>
>      >      >
>      >      > so looks to me like a good RC candidate
>      >
>      >     It seems we have a few regressions in both BGP and PCEP. I
>     suspect I
>      >     know the culprit behind at least one of the failures, should
>     have an
>      >     updated bgpcep ready later today.
>
>     Okay, so we have one remaining issue in BGPCEP, but after spending
>     today
>     trying to make sense of what is going on, it is not a regression, just
>     shifted timing in code.
>
>     It may have been detected transiently before, but now it is getting
>     caught in every built.
>
>     The underlying problem has been there since late 2017, maybe even as a
>     day-0 issue.
>
>       From BGPCEP perspective we are good to release
>     https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/job/autorelease-release-phosphorus-mvn35-openjdk11/221/
>     <https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/job/autorelease-release-phosphorus-mvn35-openjdk11/221/>
>

> Thanks Robert.. I've come up with this  phosphorus release approval for TSC
>
> https://wiki.opendaylight.org/display/ODL/Phosphorus+Formal+Release+Approval
> <https://wiki.opendaylight.org/display/ODL/Phosphorus+Formal+Release+Approval>
>
> but I couldn't find the right mri test ... it is not 39 right?

So the mri-test-phosphorus does not kick off of autorelease, but runs
periodically. I have kicked off #40, but #39 should be accurate.

both #40 and #39 is having this issue

ERROR: Build aborted. Can't trigger undefined projects. 1 of the below project(s) can't be resolved:
 > netconf-csit-1node-scale-max-devices-only-master

Re: [release] [releng][TSC] phosphorus release status - master branch has been locked

Daniel de la Rosa

> [...]

>      >
>      > so looks to me like a good RC candidate
>
>     It seems we have a few regressions in both BGP and PCEP. I
suspect I
>     know the culprit behind at least one of the failures, should
have an
>     updated bgpcep ready later today.
Okay, so we have one remaining issue in BGPCEP, but after spending
today
trying to make sense of what is going on, it is not a regression, just
shifted timing in code.
It may have been detected transiently before, but now it is getting
caught in every built.
The underlying problem has been there since late 2017, maybe even as a
 From BGPCEP perspective we are good to release
https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/job/autorelease-release-phosphorus-mvn35-openjdk11/221/
<https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/job/autorelease-release-phosphorus-mvn35-openjdk11/221/>
Thanks Robert.. I've come up with this  phosphorus release approval for TSC
https://wiki.opendaylight.org/display/ODL/Phosphorus+Formal+Release+Approval <https://wiki.opendaylight.org/display/ODL/Phosphorus+Formal+Release+Approval>
but I couldn't find the right mri test ... it is not 39 right?
https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/view/autorelease/job/integration-distribution-mri-test-phosphorus/39/ <https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/view/autorelease/job/integration-distribution-mri-test-phosphorus/39/>

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 9:52 AM Robert Varga <nite@...> wrote:
> It seems that we are still having Bgp and pcep issues but are they all
> critical ? Or can we fix them later so we can release phosphorus  ?
>
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 5:08 AM Robert Varga <nite@...
> <mailto:nite@...>> wrote:
>
>     On 23/09/2021 05:54, Daniel de la Rosa wrote:
>      >
>      > Phosphorus AR#212 integration #169 has only one test case failed
>      >
>      > bgpcep
>     https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/job/bgpcep-csit-1node-userfeatures-all-phosphorus/167/
>     <https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/job/bgpcep-csit-1node-userfeatures-all-phosphorus/167/>
>     <https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/job/bgpcep-csit-1node-userfeatures-all-phosphorus/167/
>     <https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/job/bgpcep-csit-1node-userfeatures-all-phosphorus/167/>>
>      >
>      > so looks to me like a good RC candidate
>
>     It seems we have a few regressions in both BGP and PCEP. I suspect I
>     know the culprit behind at least one of the failures, should have an
>     updated bgpcep ready later today.

Okay, so we have one remaining issue in BGPCEP, but after spending today
trying to make sense of what is going on, it is not a regression, just
shifted timing in code.

It may have been detected transiently before, but now it is getting
caught in every built.

The underlying problem has been there since late 2017, maybe even as a
day-0 issue.

 From BGPCEP perspective we are good to release

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 5:08 AM Robert Varga <nite@... <mailto:nite@...>> wrote:

> Phosphorus AR#212 integration #169 has only one test case failed
>
> bgpcep
https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/job/bgpcep-csit-1node-userfeatures-all-phosphorus/167/
<https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/job/bgpcep-csit-1node-userfeatures-all-phosphorus/167/> <https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/job/bgpcep-csit-1node-userfeatures-all-phosphorus/167/
<https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/job/bgpcep-csit-1node-userfeatures-all-phosphorus/167/>>

> so looks to me like a good RC candidate
It seems we have a few regressions in both BGP and PCEP. I suspect I
know the culprit behind at least one of the failures, should have an
updated bgpcep ready later today.
Okay, so we have one remaining issue in BGPCEP, but after spending today trying to make sense of what is going on, it is not a regression, just shifted timing in code.

It may have been detected transiently before, but now it is getting caught in every built.

The underlying problem has been there since late 2017, maybe even as a day-0 issue.

From BGPCEP perspective we are good to release https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/job/autorelease-release-phosphorus-mvn35-openjdk11/221/

TSC Meeting for September 30, 2021 at 10 pm Pacific

Next TSC meeting is September 30, 2021 at 10 pm Pacific Time.
The agenda proposal and the connection details for this meeting are available at the following URL:

Re: [release] [releng][TSC] phosphorus release status - master branch has been locked

It seems that we are still having Bgp and pcep issues but are they all critical ? Or can we fix them later so we can release phosphorus  ?
Yeah, it's three test cases, all of them are PCEP-related. They are failing reliably, which seems to indicate a systemic problem.

I'll try to see if I can debug/repro it tomorrow. We might punt to SR1 (which is around the corner) if it ends up being something hard.
Alright, this looks like a pccmock issue:
https://logs.opendaylight.org/releng/vex-yul-odl-jenkins-1/bgpcep-csit-1node-userfeatures-all-phosphorus/179/robot-plugin/log.html.gz#s1-s2-k2-k3 https://jira.opendaylight.org/browse/BGPCEP-981 tracks it.
Okay, I think I found the culprint. A fixed bgpcep should be out in about two hours or so and should be reflect in next AR build.

Bye,
Robert

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 5:08 AM Robert Varga <nite@...> wrote:

> Phosphorus AR#212 integration #169 has only one test case failed
>
> bgpcep        https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/job/bgpcep-csit-1node-userfeatures-all-phosphorus/167/  <https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/job/bgpcep-csit-1node-userfeatures-all-phosphorus/167/>
>
> so looks to me like a good RC candidate

It seems we have a few regressions in both BGP and PCEP. I suspect I
know the culprit behind at least one of the failures, should have an
updated bgpcep ready later today.

Re: Phosphorus release, input to marketing

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 1:32 PM Robert Varga <nite@... <mailto:nite@...>> wrote:
> Hello TSC and all
Hey Daniel,

> As we agree, I have updated the filters on this page.
>
> https://wiki.opendaylight.org/display/ODL/Phosphorus+Release
<https://wiki.opendaylight.org/display/ODL/Phosphorus+Release>
> <https://wiki.opendaylight.org/display/ODL/Phosphorus+Release
<https://wiki.opendaylight.org/display/ODL/Phosphorus+Release>>

> to try to capture the bug fixes and enhancements for each of the
managed
> projects since phosphorus started ( 3/17/2021).
>
> Please  let us know if this list of jira tickets is
representative of
> the work for each of your projects in this release. Additionally and
> more important, please  provide a summary on the page or reply
with this
> email, with the highlights for each of your projects so LFN
> marketing can get ready for this release.
As I stated before, I do not believe Confluence is the right tool here
for long term.
Since we are already maintaining release notes here:
https://docs.opendaylight.org/en/latest/release-notes/
<https://docs.opendaylight.org/en/latest/release-notes/>
I think that page should be our primary "release notes" collateral.
I have started updating individual project release notes, like
Controller:
https://docs.opendaylight.org/en/latest/release-notes/project/controller.html
<https://docs.opendaylight.org/en/latest/release-notes/project/controller.html>
yes i agree, this does look better than the confluence page ...  and I think you meant this page right?
https://docs.opendaylight.org/en/latest/release-notes/projects/controller.html <https://docs.opendaylight.org/en/latest/release-notes/projects/controller.html>
which looks great, so lets go with this page. I'll just link the confluence page to this page instead
I am glad you like it, all MRI projects have been updated to the best of my knowledge.

As for marketing ... what is really the marketing strategy being
executed? Is it just a simple article on www.opendaylight.org
<http://www.opendaylight.org>?
Yes, an article that highlights new features, enhancements and fixes In Phosphorus. We agree on the last TSC to dedicate time on the next meeting to review this as  a group. Hoep you can join us to review these release notes
Ah, yeah, my timing was off last time, joined exactly one hour late :(

Re: [releng][TSC] phosphorus release status - master branch has been locked

Anil Belur

Hi Robert:

The jjb-merge job failed since a new branch is added and the CR changes a lots of job configs. This translates to updating all the job configs on Jenkins and requires more time to complete.
In most cases, I generally increase the timeout for the jjb-merge job during the branch cut (which I missed this time). PS note: This can be fixed by "remerge" comment on the CR.

- Anil

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 3:10 AM Robert Varga <nite@...> wrote:
> On 21/09/2021 02:01, Anil Belur wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> The master branch is locked for Phosphorus code freeze and branch
>> cutting ("stable/phosphorus") and master branch will be promoted to
>> next (Sulphur). Once the version bump and the release activities are
>> complete, I will notify the status here.
>
> It seems Jenkins/JJB integration is busted. I have filed
> https://jira.linuxfoundation.org/plugins/servlet/theme/portal/2/IT-22956
> for that.

To explain: it is failing since Sep 21, hence Jenkins jobs do not
reflect Gerrit branches mapping:
- all -phosphorus jobs still refer to master branch
- there are no -sulfur jobs

The road to Java 17

Robert Varga

Hello everyone,

as you might have noticed, Java 17 has been released: https://jdk.java.net/17/ with reference implementation here: https://jdk.java.net/java-se-ri/17

OpenDaylight currently requires Java 11 at compile-time and *should* be able to run on everything up to Java 17. This *should* is currently not enforced by our CI, but I am not aware of any reasons this would not be the case.

Java 17 is the next LTS release, which there are multiple support options available, with at least 8 years of support being available.

As per our usual OpenDaylight support policy, we are currently supporting Java 17 runtime on a best-effort policy: any issues found will be dealt with to the extent considered feasible.

Going forward, though, we will require Java 17 as both compile-time and runtime very soon, simply because of the language feature options becoming available:
- https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/361 (switch expressions)
- https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/371 (hidden classes)
- https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/378 (text blocks)
- https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/394 (instanceof pattern matching)
- https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/395 (records)
- https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/409 (sealed classes)
- https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/415 (deserialization filters)
- https://jdk.java.net/17/release-notes#JDK-8251989 (improved CHA)

Furthermore, there are a ton of runtime improvements, which we can take into implementation considerations, like https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8266074. We want to take advantage to these ASAP.

IIUC, there are only a few issues which prevents us from adopting JDK 17 as a requirement:
- maven-xtend-plugin compatibility (due to Guice, what a surprise), which should be solved in 2.26.0, whenever that is available
- SpotBugs compatibility, which should be addressed in 4.4.x series

With all this in picture, I believe the proper course in OpenDaylight is to have:
- Sulfur (22.03) supporting both JDK11 and JDK17 at compile-time, with artifacts compatible with JDK11+
- All of Sulfur being validated with JDK17
- Chlorine (22.09) to require JDK17+

Unless there are any objections, this is the current plan of record. If you disagree, please holler now.

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 1:32 PM Robert Varga <nite@...> wrote:
> Hello TSC and all

Hey Daniel,

> As we agree, I have updated the filters on this page.
>
> https://wiki.opendaylight.org/display/ODL/Phosphorus+Release
> <https://wiki.opendaylight.org/display/ODL/Phosphorus+Release>
>
> to try to capture the bug fixes and enhancements for each of the managed
> projects since phosphorus started ( 3/17/2021).
>
> Please  let us know if this list of jira tickets is representative of
> the work for each of your projects in this release. Additionally and
> more important, please  provide a summary on the page or reply with this
> email, with the highlights for each of your projects so LFN
> marketing can get ready for this release.

As I stated before, I do not believe Confluence is the right tool here
for long term.

Since we are already maintaining release notes here:
https://docs.opendaylight.org/en/latest/release-notes/

I think that page should be our primary "release notes" collateral.

I have started updating individual project release notes, like Controller:
https://docs.opendaylight.org/en/latest/release-notes/project/controller.html

yes i agree, this does look better than the confluence page ...  and I think you meant this page right?

which looks great, so lets go with this page. I'll just link the confluence page to this page instead

The end result is very maintainable structure, which can be just updated
(perhaps subject to automation), rather than recreated every time anew.

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 10:10 AM Robert Varga <nite@...> wrote:
> On 21/09/2021 02:01, Anil Belur wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> The master branch is locked for Phosphorus code freeze and branch
>> cutting ("stable/phosphorus") and master branch will be promoted to
>> next (Sulphur). Once the version bump and the release activities are
>> complete, I will notify the status here.
>
> It seems Jenkins/JJB integration is busted. I have filed
> https://jira.linuxfoundation.org/plugins/servlet/theme/portal/2/IT-22956
> for that.

To explain: it is failing since Sep 21, hence Jenkins jobs do not
reflect Gerrit branches mapping:
- all -phosphorus jobs still refer to master branch
- there are no -sulfur jobs

it seems that the issue has been fixed by LF IT so are we good to pick up Phosphorus AR #216 integration #174 is showing some BGPCEP failed test cases

So I'm assuming that we do want to fix those?

https://wiki.opendaylight.org/display/ODL/Phosphorus+Release <https://wiki.opendaylight.org/display/ODL/Phosphorus+Release>
[...]

TSC Meeting for September 23, 2021 at 9 am Pacific

Next TSC meeting is September 23, 2021 at 9 am Pacific Time.
The agenda proposal and the connection details for this meeting are available at the following URL: