Date

Sulfur SR1 and Phosphorus SR3 TSC approvals

Daniel de la Rosa

Hello TSC

Please approve Sulfur SR1 and Phosphorus SR3 Release candidates

ODL Release Manager

TSC Meeting for May 26, 2022 at 10 pm Pacific

The next TSC meeting is May 26, 2022 at 10 pm Pacific Time.
As usual, the agenda proposal and the connection details for this meeting are available in the wiki
at the following URL:

Re: [release] Sulfur SR1 and Phosphorus SR3 announcement

Daniel de la Rosa

On Thu, May 19, 2022 at 12:09 PM Robert Varga <nite@...> wrote:
>> phosphorus looks ready for SR3. I'm going to pick AR #48 since it
>> looks ready if everybody is ok with that
>>
>> https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/view/autorelease/job/integration-distribution-test-phosphorus/408/
>> <https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/view/autorelease/job/integration-distribution-test-phosphorus/408/>
>>

> Not quite, there was a snag with netty-4.1.77, hence the MRI bump is not
> complete yet (still needs bgpcep release, which I am in the process of
> spinning). The bump should be ready tomorrow CET.

This is done and should be part of next AR run.

Great, thanks for the update.  So I think for phosphorous, we can go with AR#50 even when we had a  non critical issue with OFP

For Sulfur SR1, I'll just pick the build 53 since they are all still in the same state..

Any comments before i put these two for approval

Remote Participation at the Porto DTF

Heather Kirksey <hkirksey@...>

Dear Communities,

We are getting numerous requests for our June Developer and Testing Forum to be a hybrid event. We understand why: some geographies are still experiencing surges, corporate travel policies remain conservative, and some community members are not yet ready to travel. These are all valid.

The answer is, sadly, that we can’t. Bluntly, enabling a hybrid event would incur about a full 30% increase in total cost for what is a free event. We cannot do this and remain fiscally responsible. Additionally, it’s not a great experience for either on-site or remote participants.

As Unix philosophy states, “Do one thing and do it well.”

Since Unix philosophy also asserts the "need to work together,” LFN staff have come up with some adhoc solutions to enable community participation that will be provided on an unmanaged, self-serve, best effort basis.  Please note that last sentence and note it well. We can enable but not ensure remote participation.

Here is what it looks like:

  • Zoom bridges will be allocated to all of the rooms just as we have always done, with these caveats:

  • All devices will be on the same Wifi network, including the presenter/facilitator slide show (i.e., subject to venue Wifi and public internet considerations) – there will be no managed network for presenter laptops.

  • We cannot guarantee integration into the in-room microphone and A/V set-up. Attendees can obviously use things like USB speakers to aid in listening to discussions, but obviously quality will be best-effort. This may work fine for small breakout sessions but will likely be inadequate for larger rooms.

  • Did I say Best Effort? That means there will not be full onsite technical support to troubleshoot audio or other issues related to remote connectivity. Please do not confuse your community architects with onsite IT. :)

  • Consider the experience of those on-site. Half an hour spent asking “Can you hear me now” is a poor use of time for those humans sitting together in a room halfway around the world. Nor does it advance our work.

  • We are setting up one virtual-only track for folks to use as they see fit.

    • No meeting rooms will be assigned to virtual-only sessions. If folks on-site elect to attend a virtual-only presentation, they can simply join the associated zoom session just like any other zoom call on any day of the week.

    • The program committee will not take virtual-only sessions into account during their scheduling and planning. Please do not expect them to move things around to accommodate a conflict between an on-site and virtual-only session. Be kind to your programming committee.

    • Virtual-only sessions still require a Topic Page and the following all of the traditional ground rules.

    • Scheduling  a virtual-only session is first-come, first-served. Simply add your session to the wiki page: https://wiki.lfnetworking.org/x/pa4ZB

As our event team works with the venue and A/V team, we will let you know if anything changes.

Finally, one last bit of Unix philosophy: “Economy and elegance of design through resource constraints.” The pandemic lockdowns started suddenly, but we find that they’re not ending that way. Connecting in-person again turns out to be bumpy and sometimes painful. We’re all doing our best, as a set of communities under constraints. This can either be a source of conflict or a source of creativity. Our choice. None but ours.

I appreciate everyone’s optimism, flexibility, and patience at this time as we all figure it out.

Heather

--
Heather Kirksey
VP, Ecosystem and Community

https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/view/autorelease/job/integration-distribution-test-phosphorus/408/ <https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/view/autorelease/job/integration-distribution-test-phosphorus/408/>
Not quite, there was a snag with netty-4.1.77, hence the MRI bump is not complete yet (still needs bgpcep release, which I am in the process of spinning). The bump should be ready tomorrow CET.
This is done and should be part of next AR run.

Re: [release] Sulfur SR1 and Phosphorus SR3 announcement

Hello Robert and all
On Mon, May 16, 2022 at 12:40 PM Robert Varga <nite@... <mailto:nite@...>> wrote:
> Hello TSC and all
>
> We are going to code freeze Sulfur  and Phosphorus for all Managed
> Projects ( cut and lock release branches ) on Monday May 16th at
10 am
> UTC. We are doing these two releases in parallel to catch up on the
> release schedule.
>
> Please remember that we only allow blocker bug fixes in release
branch
> after code freezes
stable/sulfur has been updated with the MRI code drop.
we are still seeing these  OFP issues ( and one BGPCEP)  with sulfur for SR1.. Is there a jira ticket to fix these issues?
https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/view/autorelease/job/integration-distribution-test-sulfur/256/ <https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/view/autorelease/job/integration-distribution-test-sulfur/256/>
The BGP failure seems to be caused by infra -- see CONTROLLER-2043. OFP is getting bitten by that as well, but also by CONTROLLER-2037. I can't do anything about them in SR1 timeframe.

phosphorus looks ready for SR3. I'm going to pick AR #48 since it looks ready if everybody is ok with that
https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/view/autorelease/job/integration-distribution-test-phosphorus/408/ <https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/view/autorelease/job/integration-distribution-test-phosphorus/408/>
Not quite, there was a snag with netty-4.1.77, hence the MRI bump is not complete yet (still needs bgpcep release, which I am in the process of spinning). The bump should be ready tomorrow CET.

Bye,
Robert

On Mon, May 16, 2022 at 12:40 PM Robert Varga <nite@...> wrote:
> Hello TSC and all
>
> We are going to code freeze Sulfur  and Phosphorus for all Managed
> Projects ( cut and lock release branches ) on Monday May 16th at 10 am
> UTC. We are doing these two releases in parallel to catch up on the
> release schedule.
>
> Please remember that we only allow blocker bug fixes in release branch
> after code freezes

stable/sulfur has been updated with the MRI code drop.

we are still seeing these  OFP issues ( and one BGPCEP)  with sulfur for SR1.. Is there a jira ticket to fix these issues?

stable/magnesium has not been updated yet, but should get there tomorrow.

[...]

Re: [opendaylight-dev][release] OpenDaylight - Sulfur release status

Luis Gomez

On May 12, 2022, at 10:56 AM, Daniel de la Rosa <ddelarosa0707@...> wrote:

Thanks Luis and Anil, So can we get a distribution now ?

On Sun, May 8, 2022 at 5:40 PM Luis Gomez <ecelgp@...> wrote:
Also, it looks like distribution jobs missed stable/sulfur update, I will need this merged in order to produce a release:

BR/Luis

On May 7, 2022, at 12:43 PM, Daniel de la Rosa <ddelarosa0707@...> wrote:

Thanks for the update.  If that's the case, @Luis Gomez  please proceed to release Sulfur distribution at your earliest convenience

On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 1:33 AM <gilles.thouenon@...> wrote:

Hello Daniel,

I believe that we can reasonably consider that TransportPCE will not be able to integrate the GA distribution of Sulfur. We could not complete the project migration due to many issues we are facing and that are still under investigation.

The bottom line is that a rather important number of our functional tests are still failing, and so it is not possible to release with so many functional regressions.

On the other hand, if TransportPCE cannot integrate the GA, will it still be possible to integrate Sulfur SR1 or SR2 when problems have been resolved?

If I try to summarize the situation and issues that are still open:

  • Openroadm models compilation (assembling issue - see my email of 2022-04-27)
  • Link augmentation writing in openroadm-topology (see my email of 2022-05-02; under investigation)
  • Feature odl-transportpce-swagger no longer effective (would have an issue with our GNPy yang models?)
  • Run time issue to run some Junit tests (see networkmodel/src/test/java/org/opendaylight/transportpce/networkmodel/service/FrequenciesServiceTest.java, pce/src/test/java/org/opendaylight/transportpce/pce/gnpy/GnpyUtilitiesImplTest.java in change https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/c/transportpce/+/100646)
  • Possible other failures on functional tests not investigated yet due to the blocking issue mentioned above…

Best regards,

Gilles

Orange Restricted

Od: integration-dev@... <integration-dev@...> v mene používateľa Luis Gomez <ecelgp@...>
Odoslané: pondelok, 9. mája 2022 2:39:57
Komu: Daniel de la Rosa
Kópia: THOUENON Gilles TGI/OLN; LAMBERT Guillaume INNOV/NET; Anil Shashikumar Belur; integration-dev@...; Release; OpenDaylight Discuss; TSC; Casey Cain; Andrew Grimberg; Transportpce-dev@...
Predmet: Re: [integration-dev] [opendaylight-dev][release] OpenDaylight - Sulfur release status

[...]

TPCE can integrate in the ODL distribution any time they wish to do so.

I am curious: are all these issues due to changes in TPCE, changes in Kernel or both?