Date

Re: Question about Controller Project's Modules/Bundles and Interfaces Page

Chris Wright <chrisw@...>

* Aleksandar Miljusevic (miljusevic@...) wrote:
Is editing of the Controller Project's Modules/Bundles and Interfaces Page
going to be open to the public at some point?
It's editable now. You need to log in.
Perhaps you simply need an account?

thanks,
-chris

Re: OpenDaylight TSC] project names

Phil Robb

The lead administrator for the OpenDaylight tools is Andrew Grimberg (cc-ed).

In short, I would suggest making this a forward looking policy as opposed to an immediate implementation.

I.e. keep the existing names for the code that is already in the repo with a plan of giving the result of our combining/merging/picking a single core-controller code base a new and conforming name.  Andy can perform that name change as per his comments below.  For new code contribution proposals it would be best to pick a name that can persist through the project's life within OpenDaylight.  We should endeavor to make project names changes the exception as opposed to the rule.

Phil.

 --Andrew Grimberg wrote --
1:30 PM (24 minutes ago)

EEK!!! just saying.

I have an "easy" means of doing the name changes.

1) Project names (and descriptions!) are allocated by the TSC
2) Pending changes for projects are completed / merged and no new
commits are accepted for some amount of freeze time
3) I generate the new code repositories (and associated service silos
during the freeze)
4) The current repository is taken out of service (hard freeze, no more
merges allowed)
5) I take a full clone of repository and do a forced import of the
entire commit history into the new repository

This is going to completely kill Gerrit history though and the only
surviving history is the commits themselves in the the git repository.
There's also fallout to Bugzilla bugs as they are going to be referring
to things that may or not exist anymore ;)

This is a lot of work of course. The alternative is that I do some weird
git rename bingo and somehow (I don't know how) get all the internal
Gerrit information in sync too. I'm far less sure I can pull this off
than the above steps.

-Andy-

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 1:16 PM, David Meyer <dmm@...> wrote:

In discussing this with Phil he pointed out that we need to bring the developer tools admins into this conversation before we make any decisions. Basically we need to know what is possible with our tool chains. In particular, changing existing names and/or creating a naming paradigm that requires changes when a project changes state (e.g.,  bootstrap2core) may cause issues across the various tool chains.

Phil, who are the right people?

--dmm

From: David Meyer <dmm@...>
Date: Thursday, May 2, 2013 2:51 PM
To: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] OpenDaylight TSC] project names

Chris,

>> I've been meaning to bring this up for some time now...

>> I believe we should establish some guidelines on project names.
>> The current bootstrap projects have named themselves in ways
>> that are not appropriate and create confusion.

Thank you for raising this. I too have been thinking about this for some time now and came to similar conclusions.

>> The code under "controller" project is named "OpenDaylight Controller."
>> The code under "net-virt-platform" project is named "OpenDaylight SDN
>> Controller Platform."  While those projects may aspire towards those
>> names, they haven't, IMO, earned those names yet.
>>
>> I suggest that names should be more like codenames (with appropriate
>> trademark vetting still done).
>>
>> I suggest that the current names be changed to reflect the above
>> sentiment.
>>
>> I suggest that the project lifecycle document be updated to take this
>> into account.  Perhaps as part of Graduation review, we'd allocate a
>> ODP-wide name that's no longer just the code name.
>>
>> So, for example, we'd have proposal named HotSidewalk, which upon Graduation
>> (based on it's functionality) becomes OpenDaylight EggFryer.
>>
>> Thoughts?

I agree. However,  this does suggest that we need a way to manage names, both initially and after Graduation. As you suggest this should likely be part of the lifecycle document. Others?

Agree. The names should perhaps indicate their status too (I.e.: bootstrap, etc…).

We should also make sure that project names, and any internal object naming is stripped of any commercially named or licensed names to avoid the obvious issues. I think that is specified in the governing documents, but its ultimately up to the TSC to enforce this policy.

--Tom

Phil Robb
Director - Networking Solutions
The Linux Foundation
(O) 970-229-5949
(M) 970-420-4292
Skype: Phil.Robb

Re: OpenDaylight TSC] project names

David Meyer <dmm@...>

From: David Meyer <dmm@...>
Date: Thursday, May 2, 2013 2:51 PM
To: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>

Chris,

>> I've been meaning to bring this up for some time now...

>> I believe we should establish some guidelines on project names.
>> The current bootstrap projects have named themselves in ways
>> that are not appropriate and create confusion.

Thank you for raising this. I too have been thinking about this for some time now and came to similar conclusions.

>> The code under "controller" project is named "OpenDaylight Controller."
>> The code under "net-virt-platform" project is named "OpenDaylight SDN
>> Controller Platform."  While those projects may aspire towards those
>> names, they haven't, IMO, earned those names yet.
>>
>> I suggest that names should be more like codenames (with appropriate
>> trademark vetting still done).
>>
>> I suggest that the current names be changed to reflect the above
>> sentiment.
>>
>> I suggest that the project lifecycle document be updated to take this
>> into account.  Perhaps as part of Graduation review, we'd allocate a
>> ODP-wide name that's no longer just the code name.
>>
>> So, for example, we'd have proposal named HotSidewalk, which upon Graduation
>> (based on it's functionality) becomes OpenDaylight EggFryer.
>>
>> Thoughts?

I agree. However,  this does suggest that we need a way to manage names, both initially and after Graduation. As you suggest this should likely be part of the lifecycle document. Others?

Agree. The names should perhaps indicate their status too (I.e.: bootstrap, etc…).

We should also make sure that project names, and any internal object naming is stripped of any commercially named or licensed names to avoid the obvious issues. I think that is specified in the governing documents, but its ultimately up to the TSC to enforce this policy.

--Tom

Question about Controller Project's Modules/Bundles and Interfaces Page

Aleksandar Miljusevic

Hello all,

Is editing of the Controller Project's Modules/Bundles and Interfaces Page going to be open to the public at some point?

Aleksandar Miljusevic

Re: project names

Rob Sherwood

Fwiw, I'm very supportive of this with the caveat that it may hard to find neutral names for things and we may need to open it up to suggestions.  Maybe using some sort of prefix like "boostrap-controller-1" and "bootstrap-controller-2"?

I'm sure that this could be a long conversation, but fundamentally I agree with Chris's point.

- Rob
.

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Chris Wright <chrisw@...> wrote:
[...]

Ed Warnicke (eaw) <eaw@...>

Benson,

The Project Lifecycle already includes this in the proposal. Clearly a naming problem (for example a trademark or branding or other issue) would preclude acceptance of the proposal until it could be resolved.

Ed

On May 2, 2013, at 1:49 PM, "Benson Schliesser" <bensons@...> wrote:

Chris -

This makes sense to me. One question about implementation: who/what is the naming authority for projects? Would the project proposal suggest their own name, or would the name be assigned to a project? In either case, I think the TSC would be responsible for ensuring that project names comply with the spirit of your proposal.

Cheers,
-Benson

Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>

From: David Meyer <dmm@...>
Date: Thursday, May 2, 2013 2:51 PM
To: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>

Chris,

>> I've been meaning to bring this up for some time now...

>> I believe we should establish some guidelines on project names.
>> The current bootstrap projects have named themselves in ways
>> that are not appropriate and create confusion.

Thank you for raising this. I too have been thinking about this for some time now and came to similar conclusions.

>> The code under "controller" project is named "OpenDaylight Controller."
>> The code under "net-virt-platform" project is named "OpenDaylight SDN
>> Controller Platform."  While those projects may aspire towards those
>> names, they haven't, IMO, earned those names yet.
>>
>> I suggest that names should be more like codenames (with appropriate
>> trademark vetting still done).
>>
>> I suggest that the current names be changed to reflect the above
>> sentiment.
>>
>> I suggest that the project lifecycle document be updated to take this
>> into account.  Perhaps as part of Graduation review, we'd allocate a
>> ODP-wide name that's no longer just the code name.
>>
>> So, for example, we'd have proposal named HotSidewalk, which upon Graduation
>> (based on it's functionality) becomes OpenDaylight EggFryer.
>>
>> Thoughts?

I agree. However,  this does suggest that we need a way to manage names, both initially and after Graduation. As you suggest this should likely be part of the lifecycle document. Others?

Agree. The names should perhaps indicate their status too (I.e.: bootstrap, etc…).

We should also make sure that project names, and any internal object naming is stripped of any commercially named or licensed names to avoid the obvious issues. I think that is specified in the governing documents, but its ultimately up to the TSC to enforce this policy.

--Tom

Re: project names

Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>

That is the TSC with a proposed name from the project proposer, if you
ask me.
In principle, the TSC would keep the naming consistent.

--Tom

On 5/2/13 2:49 PM, "Benson Schliesser" <bensons@...> wrote:

[...]

The initial project proposal comes with a name of their choosing that
must comply w/ our TBD guidelines (for example, not calling yourself
"OpenDaylight *" and perhaps not using obviously generic terms that
simply describe what project does).

The ODP-wide name, which is likely of the form OpenDaylight GenericTerm,
I'd open up defining GenericTerm to the wider community.

Benson Schliesser <bensons@...>

[...]

project names

Chris Wright <chrisw@...>

[...]

Re: motions and voting

Rob Sherwood

I would be in favor of instituting wording to this effect.  Thanks Chris for bringing this up.

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 10:26 AM, Chris Wright <chrisw@...> wrote:
I like the way this is handled in the OpenStack Technical Committee:

  Motions

  Before being put to a vote, motions presented before the TC should be
  discussed publicly on the development mailing-list for a minimum of 4
  business days to give a chance to the wider community to express their
  opinion. TC members can vote positively, negatively, or abstain.
  Decisions need more positive votes than negative votes (ties mean the
  motion is rejected), and a minimum of positive votes of at least one
  third of the total number of TC members (rounded up: in a board with
  8PTLs+5 that means a minimum of 5 approvers).

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/Foundation/TechnicalCommittee

motions and voting

Chris Wright <chrisw@...>

I like the way this is handled in the OpenStack Technical Committee:

Motions

Before being put to a vote, motions presented before the TC should be
discussed publicly on the development mailing-list for a minimum of 4
business days to give a chance to the wider community to express their
opinion. TC members can vote positively, negatively, or abstain.
Decisions need more positive votes than negative votes (ties mean the
motion is rejected), and a minimum of positive votes of at least one
third of the total number of TC members (rounded up: in a board with
8PTLs+5 that means a minimum of 5 approvers).

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/Foundation/TechnicalCommittee

Reminder: TSC call today at 1000 PDT

David Meyer <dmm@...>

See https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/TSC:Main for call information, agenda, and the like.

Thnx,

--dmm

Re: Resolving the multiple controller code bases issue

David Meyer <dmm@...>

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 1:57 PM, Ed Warnicke (eaw) <eaw@...> wrote:
Happy to move to a more reasonable place… suggestions?  Would it make sense to hang them off of:

before the 'OpenDaylight Project Documentation' section?  Elsewhere?

Maybe make a "Core Architectural Principles" or similar after Hackfests (so it would be # 5). Then link your's off that? That way we have a place we can perhaps have discussions around this or other pages.

Comments?

--dmm

Ed

On Apr 29, 2013, at 3:05 PM, David Meyer <dmm@...> wrote:

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 1:03 PM, Colin Dixon <ckd@...> wrote:

The list of desirable features which you're asking for are at least partially documented here:
https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/OpenDaylight_Controller:Architectural_Principles

Presumably we should move that out to a project-neutral space on the wiki and attach it to any discussions as we go forward.

Thanks for pointing this out. For those who haven't taken a look at this page, it has some reasonable principles. Also agree with Colin that these are general principles, not project specific.

--dmm

--Colin

tsc-bounces@... wrote on 04/29/2013 02:49:19 PM:
> [...]

> >         from a technical point of view, will best serve the ODP
> >         community. In addition, the proposal may include
> >         proposals to start other ODP projects or sub-projects to
> >         address any gaps or future work.  And of course,
> >         community members are encouraged to participate in
> >         this process.
>
> I agree.  Pushing back on the developers that own each proposal and making
> the path forward "their problem" is a tried and true way to try to positively
> engage each of the teams.  A critical component of the success of
> OpenDaylight is building community and collaboration.
>
> > (b).   The proposal should be available for TSC review no later
> >         than Monday, 13 May 2013. Of course, we should provide
> >         for flexibility in the event substantive progress is
> >         being made. That said, 13 May 2013 should be our target
> >         date.
> >
> > (c).    If no proposal can be created by Cisco and BSN (possibly
> >         working with other community members), the TSC will take
> >         an up or down vote on which controller code base ODP will
> >         be using going forward. The vote should be taken on
> >         Tuesday, 14 May 2013 by email in a private ballot to
> >         preclude the appearance of a "deciding vote" being cast
> >         by any TSC member. I propose that the Linux Foundation
> >         receive, tally, and make public all the votes and the
> >         result at the same time.
>
> I believe we'd need to have some metrics that we (the TSC) would be
> using to evaluate the code bases and make a vote that's not completely
> arbitrary or a popularity contest.  Some examples are (just throwing
> things out to be concrete):
>
> 1) controller extensibility and modularity
> 2) model driven API abstraction
> 3) ability to support eventual consistency model
> 4) ability to support multiple southbound plugins
> 5) ability to support virtual networking requirements
>
> And I see this as an absolute last resort.  Basically, if we get here
> it's because the controller and net-virt-platform teams have reached
> some fundamental impasse.
>
> > Note that it is not uncommon for an open source project such as
> > ODP to have competing code bases, nor is it uncommon for a
> > resolution such as described above to be used in these cases. In
> > particular, this process is designed to both be as true as
> > possible to the open source community and its governance model
> > while at the same time providing a forcing function to drive
> > resolution of our controller code base problem.
> >
> > Finally, I have asked Collin Dixon and David Erickson to start a
> > discussion of architectural and technical aspects of the two code
> > bases on discuss@.... Thanks Colin and David!
> > Please join in on that discussion to the extent you have
> > time/inclination. This discussion is a crucial part of building
> > our community, and we will need such an analysis in the event
> > that vote. In particular, this work will give us a technical
> > basis on which to base our votes.
>
> Yes, OK.  Let's use that to build the list I mentioned above.

Invitation to WebEx meeting: OpenDaylight TSC Meeting

Phil Robb

Cisco WebEx logo
Hi,

Phil Robb is inviting you to this WebEx meeting:

OpenDaylight TSC Meeting

Thu, May 2, 11:00 am | 1 hr

Denver (Mountain Daylight Time, GMT-06:00)

Host: Phil Robb

Add the attached iCalendar (.ics) file to your calendar.

Agenda

This meeting does not have an agenda.

Access Information

Where:  WebEx Online
Meeting number:  191 351 304
Password:  This meeting does not require a password.

Audio Connection

1-855-244-8681 Call-in toll-free number (US/Canada)

1-650-479-3207 Call-in toll number (US/Canada)

Access code: 191 351 304

Need more numbers or information? Check out toll-free calling restrictions.

Meeting Files (0)

Can't access your meeting? Get help.
Delivering the power of collaboration,
Cisco WebEx Team
Footer
IMPORTANT NOTICE: This WebEx service includes a feature that allows audio and any documents and other materials exchanged or viewed during the meeting to be recorded. By joining this meeting, you automatically consent to such recordings. If you do not consent to the recording, discuss your concerns with the meeting host prior to the start of the recording or do not join the meeting. Please note that any such recordings may be subject to discovery in the event of litigation.

©2013 Cisco and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
MT-A-001
Cisco

Re: Increasing TSC meetings to twice per week

David Meyer <dmm@...>

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 8:10 AM, Rob Sherwood <rob.sherwood@...> wrote:
Did we settle on something here?  If so, I didn't see it.  My pref would be to extend our existing meeting rather than have another one, because we always loose time trying to make sure everyone is on the call, etc.  That said, I can move most things on Tuesday except my 10-11a (ONF Council of Chairs meeting).

Rob, we haven't closed on this yet but I have put it on the agenda for Thursday (which should be posted today (RSN)). --dmm

Thanks,

- Rob
.

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 10:54 AM, Christopher Price <christopher.price@...> wrote:
Hi Phil,

In general Tuesdays work for me I don't have anything recurring that cannot be shuffled.

/ Chris

From: Phil Robb <probb@...>
Date: Thursday, April 25, 2013 7:15 PM

To: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Subject: [OpenDaylight TSC] Increasing TSC meetings to twice per week

Hello OpenDaylight TSC Members:

As Dave mentioned in a previous mail, the TSC is not making as much progress as is needed during the weekly calls that are occurring.  While the discussions and exchange of ideas are excellent,  we are routinely not getting through the agenda which is resulting in items being repeatedly deferred from one week to the next.

We suggest that the TSC add another hour onto our weekly schedules to overcome this increased start-up workload.  We can drop back down to weekly meetings once we are through this initial push.

I would like to suggest that we add a meeting from 10:00am to 11:00am on Tuesday mornings in addition to the one hour (10:00am - 11:00am Thursdays) meetings already scheduled.

Alternatively we could expand the meeting on Thursdays to 2 hours.

Please let me know if you could accomodate a 10am PDT meeting on Tuesdays.  Your help in this is greatly appreciated.  As everyone knows. we have much to get done before our first release in September.

Phil.

From: Phil Robb <probb@...>
Date: Thursday, April 25, 2013 7:15 PM

To: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>

[...]

I definitely recognize that there is a lot of pressure (from press,
developers, even from ourselves) to show that the daylight community can
make progress and produce useful code, but I'm not sure that artificially
pushing for a final decision on the controllers (one way or
another)---especially in this two weeks time frame---is the right way to do
it.

It's my read that the vast majority of people (users, developers, even a
number of TSC members) are trying to come up to speed with _what a
controller is_ and what is it supposed to do, before even starting on the
harder question of "which code base is a better controller". More so,
while I agree with the rough characterization of your three options ( (i)
let two controllers exist indefinitely, (ii) merge the controllers, (iii)
vote to pick one), we don't yet even know enough to answer the technical
feasibility of these options or which one will net result in the best code.
The problem we have right now is no clear path forward to a single core
code base. As a consequence, we can't really even point would-be users
or developers to a place to go to help us push down that path.

For example, Colin Dixon and I have been talking about potentially merging
controllers at the SAL level. This would mean in net-virt's perspective
that the SAL would look like an application, and from the 'controller'
project prospective the net-virt controller would look like a SAL plugin.

I think this approach potentially has legs and would solve a lot of
problems (and potentially not even be that much work) but we're going to
need some time to investigate it.
Sounds like an excellent thing to get to discuss@ asap. We should
be operating in post early, post often mode. I'd particularly like
to understand (not here, but on the proper list), how this actually
concentrates our effort.

Last, if we're concerned about being to produce useful code, I would like
to submit that working towards some specific user-facing use-case for Q3
(e.g., a full quantum stack with network virtualization support) is a
better goal, both from an impact perspective but also because it's less
divisive.
How is it less divisive? And how does doing it in parallel help focus
our effort?

thanks,
-chris

14221 - 14240 of 14323