Date

Switching default build node to centos8-builder-4c-4g

Robert Varga

Hello everyone,

we are currently defaulting to centos7-builder-4c-4g here: https://github.com/opendaylight/releng-builder/blob/master/jjb/defaults.yaml#L19=

CentOS7 is ancient and cannot support our releases going forward, as it lacks JDK17 -- which is scheduled to be required for Chlorine.

MRI projects have already switched to CentOS (Stream) 8, like here: https://github.com/opendaylight/releng-builder/blob/master/jjb/netconf/netconf.yaml#L17=

That having been said and provided we get a fix for https://jira.linuxfoundation.org/plugins/servlet/theme/portal/2/IT-23826, I propose we switch the default build node to CentOS 8 and deal with whatever fallout -- probably in June, as that is essentially quiet with only Chlorine prep on the table.

Whaddya say?

proxy for next TSC meeting

Guillaume Lambert

Hello

As discussed today, I won’t be able to attend next TSC meeting.

If needed, Cédric can be my proxy.

Kind Regards

Guillaume

Orange Confidential

Re: [release] Sulfur code freeze

Daniel de la Rosa

On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 11:38 AM Robert Varga <nite@...> wrote:

> Hello all,  any update on this? Sulfur integration test are still in bad
> shape

So we still do not have that ticket taken care of, but I realized we can
work it around by changing the builders -- which we did and I spent
today releasing MRI projects, which are now integrated.

I have kicked off an AR ahead of schedule here:
https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/job/autorelease-release-sulfur-mvn38-openjdk11/15/

It should complete just fine and the test results should come back in a
much more reasonable shape -- most likely good enough to finally cut the

Yes Anil is out this week so maybe @Andrew Grimberg can get somebody else to help with

Anyhow, Integration test for AR#15 still has some issues

Should we just move forward like this?

branch.

> On Wed, Apr 6, 2022 at 4:04 PM Daniel de la Rosa via
> lists.opendaylight.org <http://lists.opendaylight.org>
> <ddelarosa0707=gmail.com@...
> <mailto:gmail.com@...>> wrote:
>
>     Great, thanks for the update.
>
>     On Wed, Apr 6, 2022 at 1:13 AM Robert Varga <nite@...
>     <mailto:nite@...>> wrote:
>
>         On 06/04/2022 01:21, Daniel de la Rosa wrote:
>          > Hello Robert and all
>          >
>          > it looks like we still have several issues
>          >
>          >
>         https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/view/autorelease/job/integration-distribution-test-sulfur/190/
>         <https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/view/autorelease/job/integration-distribution-test-sulfur/190/>
>
>          >
>         <https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/view/autorelease/job/integration-distribution-test-sulfur/190/
>         <https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/view/autorelease/job/integration-distribution-test-sulfur/190/>>
>          >
>          > are we still tracking some of these issues in jira tickets?
>
>         Yes, I think most of the issues are already fixed, but I am
>         waiting for
>         https://jira.linuxfoundation.org/plugins/servlet/theme/portal/2/IT-23826
>         <https://jira.linuxfoundation.org/plugins/servlet/theme/portal/2/IT-23826>
>
>         to issue the corresponding releases.
>
>         With the upgrade guide complete, I think we are good to branch,
>         though.
>

>     Ok it looks like @Anil Belur <mailto:abelur@...> is
>     still working on this issue so let's see if we can get an update shortly
>

>         Regards,
>         Robert

Re: ODL modernization

Luis Gomez

On Apr 14, 2022, at 3:20 PM, Robert Varga <nite@...> wrote:

On 09/04/2022 05:47, Luis Gomez wrote:
Hi TSC ex-colleagues,
As I promised, here is a list of topics for ODL modernization. This is all that came to my mind now but it could be more, the goal here is really to trigger some brainstorm and discussion.
1) Use cases:
Our YANG based platform made it easy for ODL to become the SDN controller of choice for HW devices supporting NETCONF and other control protocols like BGP-LS, PCEP, OPENFLOW where multi-vendor is important. However it made it hard to have a role in the cloud where YANG and protocols like NETCONF, BGP-LS, PCEP are almost not existent and multi-vendor is not that important. Now, given the amount of money and effort that is currently put in the cloud, it would make sense for ODL to at least participate in some cloud use case. For example, I believe ODL can still play some role in the hybrid cloud use case where HW devices need to talk to cloud devices, ODL could take care of the HW devices while another open source controller could take care of the cloud devices.
Strictly speaking: we already do, but through external integrations and those bring very little in terms of engagement/contributions :(
OK, then maybe it will help some marketing and/or white paper if anyone knows about these use cases in more detail :)

2) SW Platform:
The OSGI/Karaf platform was state-of-the-art 10 years back where there was no real micro-services platforms like K8s, but now it is just obsolete. In the new paradigm of micro-services, applications are loose-coupled and they are mostly self-contained (e.g. run their own processes within a container) although they can share some common resources like a database, a message broker, an API gateway, etc.
Weeeeeeeeeell. I could *very easily* sell you OSGi as:
- the original Java micro-service platform
- the current Java nano-service platform
Fair enough, I did not explained well myself, Java nano-service is still required but nowadays you can balance between java nano-service and container micro-service so with both at hand you can cover very much do anything you want. I think what we miss the most is infrastructure and devops work for container micro-services.

Also JPMS re-creates a (miserable) subset of OSGi. But that really is semantics, so let's not get distracted here.

OSGi is just another runtime. It always has been where ODL architectural principles are considered. Unfortunately some projects require it as a core dependency -- just because they did not know better at the time that code was merged. There has been some very solid work done over the past ~2 years to remove those assumptions.

What remains, though, is that OSGi+Karaf is the only thing that is seriously integrated *and tested*. Your next comments and my responses need to be considered with regard to this simple truth.

For ODL to fit in the new paradigm, we would need to:
- Replace ODL distribution with ODL applications that can run in their own container: NETCONF, BGP, PCEP, TPCE, etc
Agree. That is a packaging exercise. From the get go, we can (mostly, with notable exception of PCEP right now) do whatever you'd like... more below.

- Consolidate kernel repos and jars: Existing ODL applications share a common code called kernel. Today we have ~6 repositories and a bunch of jars for the kernel where there is a single person/organization maintaining the code.
Yeah, no. As the person referenced in that sentence, I have to say that the each repo (and project) has a rather well-defined scope -- as per our governance. It also keeps a reasonable straight-jacket on what is done and how.

Merging the repos would throw us back ~9 years when controller.git contained all of yangtools, mdsal, netconf, adsal, the works. It would also lower to guards we have against layering/design violations.

One example I can quote here is https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/c/openflowplugin/+/91313 -- that patch should have never been approved and it was upgraded SpotBugs which eventually found it. It took three days to correct -- not something we want to do if long-term maintainability is our goal.
Well, this consolidation idea was to ease the development and release work of the kernel components, but if maintainers of the code prefer the way it is today, I am totally cool with that :)

- Replace Karaf/OSGI framework with something more actual to plumb the java code and jars together (e.g. spring).
Right, and odlmicro just dropped the ball here in more than one way :(

The long-term plan here is to have OSGi DS annotations and a reasonable DI framework for static deployments. In this regard Blueprint is one of the worst decisions we have ever made.

In terms of "reasonable framework":

1. we have static Karaf fully supported, but per-use-case packaging has not been appearing. This is easy pickings most of the time: create a static karaf, put into a docker (or whathever) and you are done. It is a no-frills solution, boot time is at ~30% of what dynamic Karaf is.

2. odlmicro is moribund. Contributors are welcome, but if those do not step forward, https://github.com/PANTHEONtech/lighty is very much an alternative, which is not readily integratable into individual projects :(

3. what we *really* want to do is Dagger. That's pretty much the gold standard in Android apps, completely compile-time, all that jazz. While we have the basics ready in some places, noone has prototyped anything reasonable with it.

At this point, I think the idea behind odlmicro should be supplanted by a single goal: make everthing wireable via Dagger and provide a Dagger-based equivalent of netconf.git/static/pom.xml to get that use case up and running.
I may be wrong but I do not think anybody is after odlmicro nowadays. Anyway to me the problem Karaf/OSGI is not that much the boot time (option 1) but the usability and adoption aspect, developers like to write code in modern and well adopted platforms.

3) Infrastructure:
Here is kind of obsolete too. Some ideas to renew the build and test infrastructure:
Build pipeline:
- Move from JJB (not maintained anymore) to Jenkins pipelines or similar (work is ongoing).
Yeah, that's the idea, but I am not aware of anyone actively working on this.

- Move to a continuous release process where a merge in master produces a new release in the artifact repository (staging). This simplifies a lot the release process: just move artifacts from staging to release repository.
This ties in with your comment about consolidating repos. Rather that that, I wish we just had a reasonable infra to automatically release on patch merge -- including version bumps, CSIT validation, proper git history (which we do not have), all that jazz.

There is just no way I can over-sell this -- this is the core piece of automation we are missing. Requires some real DevOps folks, which we seem to be in short supply of these days.

- Every ODL application (NETCONF, BGP, PCEP, TPCE, etc) should generate a container automatically after a merge in master. We should be testing this vs ODL distribution.
Right, and we are building towards this. I think NETCONF is *almost* there, but I am not sure. This is a prerequisite to having maven-stage jobs executing CSIT prior to allowing release, which ties in to the previous point.

System test:
- Robot was the best open source system test framework 10 years back where organizations had developers and system engineers separated. Things have changed a lot since and many agile organizations nowadays have developers doing system integration and system test code apart from writing product features. Robot framework is good for system integrators with basic or non coding skills but bad for developers that have to ramp up in a new language that soon find very limiting. This is why I think at this moment it would be good to switch to something like pytest for example.
Yes.

At the end of the day, CSIT must be completely owned by the project it is testing and it must be reasonably maintainable. Neither int/test organization (we still carry SXP tests?!) nor RF fulfill (please point me to a reasonable IDE, can you?) that criteria :)
IMO int/test should be simply testing 1) non functional aspects like scale, security, etc 2) multiple applications together (not sure if this still makes sense), and 3) hosting common test libraries.

- Leverage K8s to do multi-application and scale testing.
I think int/packaging some overhaul here. At the end of the day, the first use case we need to have is a Docker (or whatever, I don't care) based on netconf.git/static being packaged as part of netconf-maven-merge job. I have no idea what we need to make that happen, though.
Work is ongoing but very slow due to lack of bandwidth contribution. So far we managed to create the infrastructure for dockers and some partial support for helm charts but there is still the work of getting containers down to some projects (not all need docker) and finalize the helm infrastructure work.

Re: ODL modernization

- Leverage K8s to do multi-application and scale testing.
I think int/packaging some overhaul here. At the end of the day, the first use case we need to have is a Docker (or whatever, I don't care) based on netconf.git/static being packaged as part of netconf-maven-merge job. I have no idea what we need to make that happen, though.
Just to qualify this end-to-end in terms of the NETCONF/RESTCONF pass-through case.

netconf-maven-stage-master should produce a container containing the use-case, using whatever runtime (dynamic Karaf, static Karaf, Guice, Dagger, it does not matter.

netconf.git-hosted CSIT should combine that with a Helm chart on the LFIT-K8S-implementation-du-jour. Run netconf.git-hosted CSIT on that. ~80% of int/test infra is not in the picture.

If it passes, netconf-maven-release-merge is good to go and should run automatically (and lock the branch, bump versions, tag the release, all that jazz). No committer intervention necessary.

Once that completes, downstream projects should realize "hey, there is an upgraded upstream, perhaps I need to release with what I have", go through exactly the same process, rinse&repeat until you hit an autorelease project.

And then the question arises: why do we have autorelease and cannot just publish int/dist release based on this pipeline to Maven Central? :)

So ... what is up for getting their hands dirty?

Re: ODL modernization

Robert Varga

[...]

It should complete just fine and the test results should come back in a much more reasonable shape -- most likely good enough to finally cut the branch.

<mailto:nite@...>> wrote:
> Hello Robert and all
>
> it looks like we still have several issues

https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/view/autorelease/job/integration-distribution-test-sulfur/190/
<https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/view/autorelease/job/integration-distribution-test-sulfur/190/>

<https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/view/autorelease/job/integration-distribution-test-sulfur/190/
<https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/view/autorelease/job/integration-distribution-test-sulfur/190/>>

> are we still tracking some of these issues in jira tickets?
Yes, I think most of the issues are already fixed, but I am
waiting for
https://jira.linuxfoundation.org/plugins/servlet/theme/portal/2/IT-23826
<https://jira.linuxfoundation.org/plugins/servlet/theme/portal/2/IT-23826>
to issue the corresponding releases.
With the upgrade guide complete, I think we are good to branch,
though.
Ok it looks like @Anil Belur <mailto:abelur@...> is
still working on this issue so let's see if we can get an update shortly

Re: ODL modernization

Guillaume Lambert

Hello Luis

Thanks for this feedback. I mostly share your concerns here at least about 2 and 3.

(about 1, I am not very involved in cloud use-cases and the situation is a bit different in core networks)

about 3)

We had some experience in tpce to use a combination of python tox + unittest + requests to develop blackbox testing suites for our REST APIs, mostly thanks to Cédric's guidance.
It might make sense for the infra tests too IMO.

My 2 cents

BR

Guillaume

[...]

[tsc] Luis to proxy Anil on 14-04-2022

Anil Belur

Hello TSC members:

I won't be able to attend the TSC call this week, Luis has agreed to be my proxy.

Cheers,
ab

TSC Meeting for April 14, 2022 at 10 pm Pacific

The next TSC meeting is April 14, 2022 at 10 pm Pacific Time.
As usual, the agenda proposal and the connection details for this meeting are available in the wiki
at the following URL:

Re: [release] Sulfur code freeze

Daniel de la Rosa

Hello all,  any update on this? Sulfur integration test are still in bad shape

On Wed, Apr 6, 2022 at 4:04 PM Daniel de la Rosa via lists.opendaylight.org <ddelarosa0707=gmail.com@...> wrote:
Great, thanks for the update.

On Wed, Apr 6, 2022 at 1:13 AM Robert Varga <nite@...> wrote:
> Hello Robert and all
>
> it looks like we still have several issues
>
> https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/view/autorelease/job/integration-distribution-test-sulfur/190/
> <https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/view/autorelease/job/integration-distribution-test-sulfur/190/>
>
> are we still tracking some of these issues in jira tickets?

Yes, I think most of the issues are already fixed, but I am waiting for
https://jira.linuxfoundation.org/plugins/servlet/theme/portal/2/IT-23826
to issue the corresponding releases.

With the upgrade guide complete, I think we are good to branch, though.

Ok it looks like @Anil Belur is still working on this issue so let's see if we can get an update shortly

ODL modernization

Luis Gomez

[...]

BR/Luis

Re: TSC Meeting for April 7, 2022 at 9 am Pacific

Daniel de la Rosa

Hello all,
Unfortunately I won't be able to make today's meeting. Sulfur RC is still pending so I'll follow up with  @Robert Varga via email once it is ready so I can setup a TSC approval form and start with Chlorine as soon as possible.

Thanks

On Wed, Apr 6, 2022 at 2:13 AM <guillaume.lambert@...> wrote:

Hello OpenDaylight Community,

The next TSC meeting is April 7, 2022 at 9 am Pacific Time.
As usual, the agenda proposal and the connection details for this meeting are available in the wiki
at the following URL:

I take the opportunity to publicly congratulate our new TSC members Manoj & Ivan & Cédric.
And also to thank Luis & Navid & Oleksii for their commitment.

Re: [release] Sulfur code freeze

Daniel de la Rosa

Great, thanks for the update.

On Wed, Apr 6, 2022 at 1:13 AM Robert Varga <nite@...> wrote:
> Hello Robert and all
>
> it looks like we still have several issues
>
> https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/view/autorelease/job/integration-distribution-test-sulfur/190/
> <https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/view/autorelease/job/integration-distribution-test-sulfur/190/>
>
> are we still tracking some of these issues in jira tickets?

Yes, I think most of the issues are already fixed, but I am waiting for
https://jira.linuxfoundation.org/plugins/servlet/theme/portal/2/IT-23826
to issue the corresponding releases.

With the upgrade guide complete, I think we are good to branch, though.

Ok it looks like @Anil Belur is still working on this issue so let's see if we can get an update shortly

TSC Meeting for April 7, 2022 at 9 am Pacific

The next TSC meeting is April 7, 2022 at 9 am Pacific Time.
As usual, the agenda proposal and the connection details for this meeting are available in the wiki
at the following URL:

I take the opportunity to publicly congratulate our new TSC members Manoj & Ivan & Cédric.
And also to thank Luis & Navid & Oleksii for their commitment.

Re: [release] Sulfur code freeze

Hello Robert and all
it looks like we still have several issues
https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/view/autorelease/job/integration-distribution-test-sulfur/190/ <https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/view/autorelease/job/integration-distribution-test-sulfur/190/>
are we still tracking some of these issues in jira tickets?
Yes, I think most of the issues are already fixed, but I am waiting for https://jira.linuxfoundation.org/plugins/servlet/theme/portal/2/IT-23826 to issue the corresponding releases.

On Fri, Apr 1, 2022 at 4:11 PM Robert Varga <nite@...> wrote:
> Alright, everything has been merged up.
>
> int/dist and autorelease need to have their jobs updated to use
> maven-3.8, please review the patches here:
>
> https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/c/releng/builder/+/100304
> https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/c/releng/builder/+/100306
>
> I am writing up the release notes and upgrade guide next.

So looking at
https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/job/integration-distribution-test-sulfur/185/
we have plenty of badness.

The core problem is that a ton of test suites are depending on
OPERATIONAL_API, which points to old RESTCONF, which is no longer
installed by default. I have
https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/c/releng/builder/+/100359 to install
it for now, but we need to eventually (very soon) ditch it.

Luis, any idea on how to fix that in a sensible manner?

Also, RF is now reporting a ton of ugly 'Keyword 'BuiltIn.Run Keyword
Unless' is deprecated.' messages -- I'll take a peek next week unless
somebody beats me to it.

Finally, I am tracking two regressions in MD-SAL (already fixed) and one
in NETCONF (next on the list), but I'd like to get a better reading on
CSIT before rolling out the corresponding releases out.

Hello Robert and all

it looks like we still have several issues

are we still tracking some of these issues in jira tickets?

2022 TSC Chairperson Election

Casey Cain

The self-nomination period for OpenDaylight TSC Chairperson is now open.  The role of the TSC Chair is to lead the TSC through meetings and discussions on relevant topics.  This election and nomination process is limited to TSC Members.  Any TSC Member can nominate themselves, run for election, and vote in the election for the TSC Chair.

The self-nomination period will be from  to  .  Interested TSC members may self-nominate here:  https://wiki.opendaylight.org/x/mG8EAQ

Senior Technical Community Architect
WeChat: okaru6
WhatsApp: +1.503.779.4519

2022 OpenDaylight TSC Election Results

Casey Cain

Please join me in congratulating the winners of the 2022 ODL TSC Election
  • Robert Varga
  • Ivan Hrasko
  • Manoj Chokka
  • Venkatrangan Govindarajan
  • Guillaume Lambert
  • Cedric Olivier
  • Anil Belur
We look forward to their leadership in the OpenDaylight Community!  I would also like to thank the outgoing TSC members.  Luis Gomez, Navid Ghazisaidi, and Oleskii Mozghovyi.  Your contributions to the community have been greatly appreciated and we hope you continue to support the community in the future.