Date

Re: [release] Sulfur code freeze

Daniel de la Rosa

Thanks Robert...

On Thu, Mar 31, 2022 at 8:41 AM Robert Varga <nite@...> wrote:
> On 29/03/2022 01:13, Robert Varga wrote:

>>> A quick update here. We are on the home stretch now, with 31
>>> callsites still being bad. About a third are duplicate (e.g. they are
>>> the same weirdness across bierman20/rfc8040). They will need some
>>> amount of TLC, which I am not in position to give right now, sorry :(
>>
>> Okay, so I am down to 3 call sites, which fall into two categories:
>>
>> 1. old RESTCONF's URI parser leafref support. I think I can perform
>> sufficient surgery to make this work without having to rewrite that
>> thing (as was done for new RESTCONF, where this is a breeze)
>>
>> 2. two instances of a weird interaction with XML codec. It is not that
>> weird, I understand what is going on, it just needs a bit of more work.
>>
>> I will need another day to deal with them and, fingers crossed, UTs
>> should agree.
>
> This is now cleared, netconf-3.0.0 is out there. Most of the MSI update
> patches are done -- except openflowplugin.
>
> Upgraded spotbugs is finding some badness which was introduced in
> https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/c/openflowplugin/+/91313 and I need
> to figure out how to fix it.
>
> BGPCEP still has a four contributions left for review, I will take care
> of that tomorrow.

Alright, everything has been merged up.

int/dist and autorelease need to have their jobs updated to use
maven-3.8, please review the patches here:

https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/c/releng/builder/+/100304
https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/c/releng/builder/+/100306

I am writing up the release notes and upgrade guide next.

Ok great. @Anil Belur and/or @Luis Gomez  maybe you can take a look at this

Bye,
Robert

[...]

2022 Mentorship Program - Call for Mentors

Casey Cain

Today, we’re excited to open the call for mentors and project proposals for the 2022 LF Networking Mentorship ProgramThe Program is intended to provide a formal structure to connect mentors and student developers from around the globe to contribute their enthusiasm, time, and experience toward building sustainable LFN communities.

 Why should you consider mentoring for LF Networking Mentorship Program?
  • You believe in the value of mentorship in helping new developers to navigate open source development, the culture, the tooling and infrastructure to be a productive members of the community.
  • You are passionate about teaching and guiding student developers, many of whom may be first time open-source contributors,
  • You are eager to bring new perspectives, new ideas, and new talent into your community and projects.
  • You have a narrowly scoped mentorship project with clear learning objectives/outcomes and a mentee's work and potential contributions could add value to the project or community of which you're an active developer or maintainer.
 I am interested in mentoring but how do I get started?
What are the elements the LFN Mentorship Program will implement to maximize mentor/mentee collaboration success?
  • Mentor and mentee onboarding will be conducted at the start of the Program
  • Project planning that includes deliverables, milestones, and tasks will be completed collaboratively between the mentors and mentees during the first two weeks of the program and posted on the wiki to increase transparency and accountability.
  • Mentee presentations will be required to sharpen both presentation skills and to cultivate the ability to provide constructive feedback and critique that’s the norm in the open source community for developing technologies collaboratively and openly.
  • Mentee evaluation will be conducted on a regular cadence tied to milestone deliverable schedules to help mentors and LFN staff formalize and respond to progress.
While mentors will be on a voluntary basis, the hired mentees will be eligible to receive a stipend. As an added bonus, each mentee who successfully completes the Program will be invited and financially sponsored by LF Networking to attend an event/conference and present their work to the broader community (specific event TBD but will be during Q3 or Q4 of this year or Q1 of the following year).

If you have any questions, please contact mentorship@lfnetworking.org

We look forward to your submission of a mentorship project and thank you in advance for volunteering your time to contribute to the training of the new talent pool in the LF Networking communities.

Senior Technical Community Architect
WeChat: okaru6
WhatsApp: +1.503.779.4519

TSC Meeting for March 31, 2022 at 10 pm Pacific

The next TSC meeting is March 31, 2022 at 10 pm Pacific Time.
As usual, the agenda proposal and the connection details for this meeting are available in the wiki
at the following URL:

[...]

ODL TSC Seats

Casey Cain

Hello everyone,

At the last TSC meeting, we discussed updating the size of the TSC.  We agreed that 3 Committer and 2 Community seats seemed to make sense instead of the current 7 seats.  There was an agreement to wait and see if we had enough eligible candidates submit their nominations before making any changes.  However, we did not receive enough qualified nominations.

I ask that current TSC members review the proposal and vote to update the size of the TSC here:
Total Seats will change from 7 to 5.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Senior Technical Community Architect
WeChat: okaru6
WhatsApp: +1.503.779.4519

Re: [release] Sulfur code freeze

On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 3:47 PM Robert Varga <nite@... <mailto:nite@...>> wrote:
That’s impressive. Ok thanks and it is all good. We will have a very solid sulfur release
A quick update here. We are on the home stretch now, with 31 callsites still being bad. About a third are duplicate (e.g. they are the same weirdness across bierman20/rfc8040). They will need some amount of TLC, which I am not in position to give right now, sorry :(

I expect to have them cleared tomorrow, Tuesday the latest, at which point I'll activate the supercommitter rights and roll things out.

The upgrade guide will come right after that, e.g. Tue or Wed.

Re: [release] Sulfur code freeze

Olivier Dugeon

Hello Robert, all,

Le 21/03/2022 à 15:17, Robert Varga a écrit :
On 21/03/2022 14:45, Olivier Dugeon via lists.opendaylight.org wrote:

bgpcep is ready for integration, but netconf is not -- as it turns the vast majority of patches dealing with SchemaNode.getPath() caller removal had to be reverted because ... let's say they were naive.

Not yet for BGPCEP. I discover some late bugs on new PCE server last week. Patch is ready. I'll submit it this afternoon, just right after last verification.

Latest patches have been submitted:

The first two have been reviewed and are ready to be merged. Latest one needs to be reviewed.

The only point that is remaining for BGPCEP, is to clean the compilation from various warning message. I don't know if we include these now or wait for Sulfur SR1.

Regards

Olivier

Alright, anyway it's going to take a couple of days to sort out the RESTCONF stuff, so that (and the javadoc jobs) are the real blockers.

Orange logo

Olivier Dugeon
Orange Expert, Future Networks
Open Source Referent
Orange/IMT/OLN/WTC/IEE/iTeQ

fixe : +33 2 96 07 28 80
mobile : +33 6 82 90 37 85
olivier.dugeon@...

On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 3:47 PM Robert Varga <nite@...> wrote:
> On 20/03/2022 19:50, Robert Varga wrote:
>> On 19/03/2022 16:37, Daniel de la Rosa wrote:
>>>
>>>     Alright, so MDSAL-731 is fixed and it makes MDSAL-735 more
>>> diagnosable
>>>     -- I plan to squash that today.
>>>

>>> It looks like all issues have been resolved. So are we ready to pick
>>> the next AR as RC?
>>
>> I am still working through netconf/bgpcep, plus the bump to MSI
>> projects. I'll keep you posted.
>
> bgpcep is ready for integration, but netconf is not -- as it turns the
> vast majority of patches dealing with SchemaNode.getPath() caller
> removal had to be reverted because ... let's say they were naive.

So fixing RESTCONF here is going to require a yangtools-8.0.2 release.
The problem is that we lost a DataSchemaContextTree capability which was
provided indirectly via SchemaNode.getPath() -- the details are in
YANGTOOLS-1412.

I expect to have that fixed today and finish the RESTCONF integration
tomorrow, so that the MRI bump should (fingers crossed) over the weekend.

It is way later than planned, expected or hoped, but unfortunately it is
what it is. There is silver lining here, though: this effort found two
bugs that have been squashed after lurking around for 7 years.

That’s impressive. Ok thanks and it is all good. We will have a very solid sulfur release

I'll keep you posted,
ODL Release Manager

[...]

TSC Meeting for March 24, 2022 at 9 am Pacific

The next TSC meeting is March 24, 2022 at 9 am Pacific Time.
As usual, the agenda proposal and the connection details for this meeting are available in the wiki
at the following URL:

Re: OpenDaylight 2022 TSC Election Nomination period is open

Casey Cain

Hello everyone,

This is a reminder that the self-nomination period for the TSC election has been extended to 24 March 2022.  Community members interested in joining the TSC must self-nominate before the nomination period closes here: https://wiki.opendaylight.org/x/Zl0EAQ.

Senior Technical Community Architect
WeChat: okaru6
WhatsApp: +1.503.779.4519

On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 6:54 AM Casey Cain <ccain@...> wrote:
Hello everyone,

This is a reminder that tomorrow 17 March 2022, is the last day to submit your nomination for the TSC election.   Community members interested in joining the TSC must self-nominate before the nomination period closes here: https://wiki.opendaylight.org/x/Zl0EAQ.

Senior Technical Community Architect
WeChat: okaru6
WhatsApp: +1.503.779.4519

On Thu, Mar 3, 2022 at 12:36 PM Casey Cain <ccain@...> wrote:
Hello everyone,

The election and nomination process is for those individuals who have committer rights on one or more OpenDaylight Projects and Active Community Members (ACM). All OpenDaylight Committers and ACMs can nominate themselves, run for election, and vote in the election for the Committer-At-Large seats on the TSC.
  • A Committer is a contributor that has the authority, and responsibility to submit changes to an OpenDaylight software repository.
    • 5 seats
  • Active Community Members: Anyone from the OpenDaylight community with twenty (20) or more measurable contributions during the previous 12-month period, inclusive of code merged, code reviews performed, wiki page edits, or JIRA activities.
    • 2 seats

Details on the election process may be found here.

Dates to Remember

Nomination Period: 04 Mar 2022 to 17 Mar 2022
Voting Period: 17 Mar 2022 to 31 Mar 2022

How to participate

Members who are interested in joining the TSC must self-nominate before the nomination period closes here: https://wiki.opendaylight.org/x/Zl0EAQ

Senior Technical Community Architect
WeChat: okaru6
WhatsApp: +1.503.779.4519

Re: [release] Sulfur code freeze

Robert Varga

serviceutils is also ready to integrate, but there's a problem needing action in global-jjb: javadocs jobs are using mvn35 and thus end up exploding like here: https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/job/serviceutils-maven-javadoc-verify-sulfur-openjdk11/32/

Even when we tell the job to use mvn38, it will unpack the correct maven, but will attempt to use mvn35: https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/job/serviceutils-maven-javadoc-verify-sulfur-openjdk11/33/console

[...]

Great, thanks!

On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 11:20 PM Robert Varga <nite@...> wrote:
> On 16/03/2022 00:53, Daniel de la Rosa wrote:
>> Hello Robert
>
> Hello Daniel,
>
>>     The major outstanding item are the MD-SAL regressions detected in
>> ovsdb
>>     (and same thing is biting netconf) and bgpcep, tracked as
>> MDSAL-731 and
>>     MDSAL-735 respectivelly.
>>

>> Another day has passed :) so i guess we have to wait until these two
>> are fixed to pick a RC?
>
> Yes, unfortunately and I am still struggling with the fix, it turns out
> to be more complicated than expected, but I am converging on a solution.

Alright, so MDSAL-731 is fixed and it makes MDSAL-735 more diagnosable
-- I plan to squash that today.

It looks like all issues have been resolved. So are we ready to pick the next AR as RC?

Re: [release] Sulfur code freeze

Hello Robert
Hello Daniel,

    The major outstanding item are the MD-SAL regressions detected in ovsdb
    (and same thing is biting netconf) and bgpcep, tracked as MDSAL-731 and
    MDSAL-735 respectivelly.

Another day has passed :) so i guess we have to wait until these two are fixed to pick a RC?
Yes, unfortunately and I am still struggling with the fix, it turns out to be more complicated than expected, but I am converging on a solution.
Alright, so MDSAL-731 is fixed and it makes MDSAL-735 more diagnosable -- I plan to squash that today.

Re: [release] Chlorine release schedule proposal

Daniel de la Rosa

On Tue, Mar 15, 2022 at 9:33 AM Robert Varga <nite@...> wrote:
> Hello TSC and all
>
> Please let me know if you have any feedback on this proposal
>
> https://wiki.opendaylight.org/display/ODL/Release+Schedule+for+Chlorine
> <https://wiki.opendaylight.org/display/ODL/Release+Schedule+for+Chlorine>

Ah, this is nice, but could you adjust the first column to contain links
to Release Process requirements? that will make it easier for people
unfamiliar with it to understand what means what.

ok I have added links from here

and the release schedule...

hope that helps to make it easier for people unfamiliar with ODL release process

 From a quick glance it looks okay, except for the minor detail of me
not attending the TSC call for the Middle Checkpoint :)