[release] Micro distribution tech discussion


Samuel Kontriš <samuel.kontris@...>
 

Hello everyone,

this is a first DRAFT of the ODL project proposal for lighty.io - it's still work in progress.

In case you have any questions or if you think that something is missing, then let us know. Any feedback is welcome.


https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/Project_Proposals:Lighty


Regards

Samuel




Od: Luis Gomez <ecelgp@...>
Odoslané: sobota, 19. októbra 2019 1:29:22
Komu: Release; tsc
Predmet: Re: [release] Micro distribution tech discussion
 
For those interested, we will be using next Monday TWS slot to present Lumina work progress on micro-distribution topic (mostly odl-simple at this moment).

BR/Luis


On Oct 2, 2019, at 1:19 PM, Luis Gomez <ecelgp@...> wrote:

Hi everyone,

Following up on the micro distribution topic presented in DDF:


Can we use next week TWS call (Monday 10AM PST) to discuss about the problem we try to solve, the proposed solutions (odl-simple vs lights.io) and their availability? e.g. it is not yet clear lighty.io or some of its components will be available in ODL Mg.

BR/Luis


Abhijit Kumbhare
 

Samuel,

Can you also send the proposal to the following email address to begin the 2 week review period? 

project-proposals <project-proposals@...>

Of course one thing we should consider going forward - should we just require the proposal sent to the TSC mailing list? The separate mailing list for proposals made sense in the earlier days of very cluttered TSC mailing list - but may not be so much now.

Thanks,
Abhijit


On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 5:50 AM Samuel <samuel.kontris@...> wrote:

Hello everyone,

this is a first DRAFT of the ODL project proposal for lighty.io - it's still work in progress.

In case you have any questions or if you think that something is missing, then let us know. Any feedback is welcome.


https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/Project_Proposals:Lighty


Regards

Samuel




Od: Luis Gomez <ecelgp@...>
Odoslané: sobota, 19. októbra 2019 1:29:22
Komu: Release; tsc
Predmet: Re: [release] Micro distribution tech discussion
 
For those interested, we will be using next Monday TWS slot to present Lumina work progress on micro-distribution topic (mostly odl-simple at this moment).

BR/Luis


On Oct 2, 2019, at 1:19 PM, Luis Gomez <ecelgp@...> wrote:

Hi everyone,

Following up on the micro distribution topic presented in DDF:


Can we use next week TWS call (Monday 10AM PST) to discuss about the problem we try to solve, the proposed solutions (odl-simple vs lights.io) and their availability? e.g. it is not yet clear lighty.io or some of its components will be available in ODL Mg.

BR/Luis

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#18259): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/release/message/18259
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/34374832/675589
Group Owner: release+owner@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/release/unsub  [abhijitkoss@...]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


Abhijit Kumbhare
 

Samuel,

When do you think you will be ready to move this project proposal beyond draft to an actual proposal by sending it to the mailing list for project proposals <project-proposals@...>?

Thanks,
Abhijit


Tejas Nevrekar
 

Hi all,

I did not find a way to add comments to the project page draft - https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/Project_Proposals:Lighty

Is there an alternate page or can we do email? 

Regards,

Tejas. S. Nevrekar
Mobile: +91-99805 31339
Bangalore, INDIA.


On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 1:14 PM Abhijit Kumbhare <abhijitkoss@...> wrote:
Samuel,

When do you think you will be ready to move this project proposal beyond draft to an actual proposal by sending it to the mailing list for project proposals <project-proposals@...>?

Thanks,
Abhijit -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#12188): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/message/12188
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/36487308/1217489
Group Owner: TSC+owner@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/unsub  [tejas.nevrekar@...]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


Abhijit Kumbhare
 

Historically we have done it over email.


On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 10:43 AM Tejas Nevrekar <tejas.nevrekar@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I did not find a way to add comments to the project page draft - https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/Project_Proposals:Lighty

Is there an alternate page or can we do email? 

Regards,

Tejas. S. Nevrekar
Mobile: +91-99805 31339
Bangalore, INDIA.


On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 1:14 PM Abhijit Kumbhare <abhijitkoss@...> wrote:
Samuel,

When do you think you will be ready to move this project proposal beyond draft to an actual proposal by sending it to the mailing list for project proposals <project-proposals@...>?

Thanks,
Abhijit -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#12188): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/message/12188
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/36487308/1217489
Group Owner: TSC+owner@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/unsub  [tejas.nevrekar@...]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


Tejas Nevrekar
 

Sure Abhijit. I will pose my comments/suggestions here then:

1. Will this project upstream the existing lighty components for the SB plugins like netconf, openflowplugin?
2. From an implementation standpoint, do we need to keep this component as a separate project? In stead it could be integrated deeper into ODL's existing implementations. That way there will not need to be a separate project for these aspects. So we borrow lighty principles and restructure existing projects like netconf, openflowplugin, bgpcep to strip OSGi, move to annotations, relevant constructors.
3. When used with other DIs like guice or spring, we need to study the impact of invoking via the guice-bindings or spring-bindings approach v/s natively enabling these bindings from the respective projects ground up.

Robert/Samuel, any thoughts please?

Thanks,

-Tejas.

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 12:52 AM Abhijit Kumbhare <abhijitkoss@...> wrote:
Historically we have done it over email.

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 10:43 AM Tejas Nevrekar <tejas.nevrekar@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I did not find a way to add comments to the project page draft - https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/Project_Proposals:Lighty

Is there an alternate page or can we do email? 

Regards,

Tejas. S. Nevrekar
Mobile: +91-99805 31339
Bangalore, INDIA.


On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 1:14 PM Abhijit Kumbhare <abhijitkoss@...> wrote:
Samuel,

When do you think you will be ready to move this project proposal beyond draft to an actual proposal by sending it to the mailing list for project proposals <project-proposals@...>?

Thanks,
Abhijit -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#12188): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/message/12188
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/36487308/1217489
Group Owner: TSC+owner@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/unsub  [tejas.nevrekar@...]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


Samuel <samuel.kontris@...>
 

Hello everyone,


Tejas, thank you for your feedback.

Regarding your comments:

  1. Yes, we will upstream all lighty.io modules from our lighty.io github repository [1].
  2. Yes, I agree with you. I would like to see all projects to provide their own lighty.io modules as a library without the need to be dependent on any framework (OSGi in this case). But it will probably require pretty big changes to code and infrastructure of particular project. At first, we can start by creating these modules in separate ODL Lighty project and then we can slowly refactor other projects and move the lighty.io modules there.
  3. I would like to provide other DI frameworks just as an alternative to "pure java library" approach so we won't enforce downstream projects to use any framework. Downstream projects should be able to choose DI framework they want/need. So they should analyze what is the best choice for them.


[1] -  https://github.com/PantheonTechnologies/lighty-core


Regards
Samuel

Od: Tejas Nevrekar <tejas.nevrekar@...>
Odoslané: piatok, 8. novembra 2019 11:09:37
Komu: Abhijit Kumbhare
Kópia: tsc
Predmet: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] [release] Micro distribution tech discussion
 
Sure Abhijit. I will pose my comments/suggestions here then:

1. Will this project upstream the existing lighty components for the SB plugins like netconf, openflowplugin?
2. From an implementation standpoint, do we need to keep this component as a separate project? In stead it could be integrated deeper into ODL's existing implementations. That way there will not need to be a separate project for these aspects. So we borrow lighty principles and restructure existing projects like netconf, openflowplugin, bgpcep to strip OSGi, move to annotations, relevant constructors.
3. When used with other DIs like guice or spring, we need to study the impact of invoking via the guice-bindings or spring-bindings approach v/s natively enabling these bindings from the respective projects ground up.

Robert/Samuel, any thoughts please?

Thanks,

-Tejas.

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 12:52 AM Abhijit Kumbhare <abhijitkoss@...> wrote:

Historically we have done it over email.

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 10:43 AM Tejas Nevrekar <tejas.nevrekar@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I did not find a way to add comments to the project page draft - https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/Project_Proposals:Lighty

Is there an alternate page or can we do email? 

Regards,

Tejas. S. Nevrekar
Mobile: +91-99805 31339
Bangalore, INDIA.


On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 1:14 PM Abhijit Kumbhare <abhijitkoss@...> wrote:
Samuel,

When do you think you will be ready to move this project proposal beyond draft to an actual proposal by sending it to the mailing list for project proposals <project-proposals@...>?

Thanks,
Abhijit -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#12188): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/message/12188
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/36487308/1217489
Group Owner: TSC+owner@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/unsub  [tejas.nevrekar@...]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


Robert Varga
 

On 07/11/2019 20:22, Abhijit Kumbhare wrote:
Historically we have done it over email.
Hello,

I have updated the proposal to spell out gaps in our knowledge of the
problem/solution domains here:

https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/Project_Proposals:Lighty#Open_questions

We will need to provide some amount of answers in these before the
proposal can be considered complete (and thus subject to review and
approval).

Please send in your comments to this thread, or provide edits of the
page in case you have concrete data to be added to the existing text.

Also, please indicate your willingness to work on the project by listing
yourself in the committed resources -- based on the outcome of the
collaboration, we (i.e. community) will pick a set of committers to make
sure the project end up executing properly.

Thanks,
Robert




On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 10:43 AM Tejas Nevrekar <tejas.nevrekar@...
<mailto:tejas.nevrekar@...>> wrote:

Hi all,

I did not find a way to add comments to the project page draft
https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/Project_Proposals:Lighty. 

Is there an alternate page or can we do email? 

Regards,

Tejas. S. Nevrekar
Mobile: +91-99805 31339
Bangalore, INDIA.


On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 1:14 PM Abhijit Kumbhare
<abhijitkoss@... <mailto:abhijitkoss@...>> wrote:

Samuel,

When do you think you will be ready to move this project
proposal beyond draft to an actual proposal by sending it to the
mailing list for project proposals
<project-proposals@...
<https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/project-proposals>>?

Thanks,
Abhijit -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#12188):
https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/message/12188
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/36487308/1217489
Group Owner: TSC+owner@...
<mailto:TSC%2Bowner@...>
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/unsub 
[tejas.nevrekar@... <mailto:tejas.nevrekar@...>]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#12193): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/message/12193
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/36487308/1320659
Group Owner: TSC+owner@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/unsub [nite@...]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


Luis Gomez
 

Hi all,

I think we are losing some momentum to get something done in this release.

Let me comment on the questions that are blocking this project:

1) Relationship with other projects

I do not understand the first paragraph, can you elaborate or put an example of the problem.

Regarding the use-case packaging, can we just do the "Netconf controller" in Magnesium, that seems to be simple enough (included in Kernel projects) and what most folks I know are looking for. Later we can decide on more package flavors

2) Monlithic vs Modular service:

This seems more like a future improvement than an issue so no blocking or am I wrong?

3) Dependency injection:

What does Lighty support as dependency injection today? we can start with that to simplify.

4) Dynamic configuration:

Yes, we need changes in the existing projects to deal with the new packaging, but can we just start with Netconf in Magnesium and progressively add more projects in future releases?

5) CLI Integration:

Similar to 4) those projects interested in participating in the new packaging will have to go through some changes and/or lose some features but can we just focus on Netconf for this release?

As a summary, I do not think we have to resolve every project integration problem before we start doing anything here. Lets pick a simple use case like Netconf, start working on it, learn with the process and after add more projects. Does it make sense or am I missing something here?

BR/Luis

On Nov 12, 2019, at 8:50 AM, Robert Varga <nite@...> wrote:



On 07/11/2019 20:22, Abhijit Kumbhare wrote:
Historically we have done it over email.
Hello,

I have updated the proposal to spell out gaps in our knowledge of the
problem/solution domains here:

https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/Project_Proposals:Lighty#Open_questions

We will need to provide some amount of answers in these before the
proposal can be considered complete (and thus subject to review and
approval).

Please send in your comments to this thread, or provide edits of the
page in case you have concrete data to be added to the existing text.

Also, please indicate your willingness to work on the project by listing
yourself in the committed resources -- based on the outcome of the
collaboration, we (i.e. community) will pick a set of committers to make
sure the project end up executing properly.

Thanks,
Robert




On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 10:43 AM Tejas Nevrekar <tejas.nevrekar@...
<mailto:tejas.nevrekar@...>> wrote:

Hi all,

I did not find a way to add comments to the project page draft
- https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/Project_Proposals:Lighty.

Is there an alternate page or can we do email?

Regards,

Tejas. S. Nevrekar
Mobile: +91-99805 31339
Bangalore, INDIA.


On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 1:14 PM Abhijit Kumbhare
<abhijitkoss@... <mailto:abhijitkoss@...>> wrote:

Samuel,

When do you think you will be ready to move this project
proposal beyond draft to an actual proposal by sending it to the
mailing list for project proposals
<project-proposals@...
<https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/project-proposals>>?

Thanks,
Abhijit -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#12188):
https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/message/12188
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/36487308/1217489
Group Owner: TSC+owner@...
<mailto:TSC%2Bowner@...>
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/unsub
[tejas.nevrekar@... <mailto:tejas.nevrekar@...>]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#12193): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/message/12193
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/36487308/1320659
Group Owner: TSC+owner@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/unsub [nite@...]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#12215): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/message/12215
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/36487308/1217165
Group Owner: TSC+owner@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/unsub [ecelgp@...]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


Abhijit Kumbhare
 

Do you guys want this on tomorrow's TSC call or do you want to continue over email?


On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 12:44 PM Luis Gomez <ecelgp@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I think we are losing some momentum to get something done in this release.

Let me comment on the questions that are blocking this project:

1) Relationship with other projects

I do not understand the first paragraph, can you elaborate or put an example of the problem.

Regarding the use-case packaging, can we just do the "Netconf controller" in Magnesium, that seems to be simple enough (included in Kernel projects) and what most folks I know are looking for. Later we can decide on more package flavors

2) Monlithic vs Modular service:

This seems more like a future improvement than an issue so no blocking or am I wrong?

3) Dependency injection:

What does Lighty support as dependency injection today? we can start with that to simplify.

4) Dynamic configuration:

Yes, we need changes in the existing projects to deal with the new packaging, but can we just start with Netconf in Magnesium and progressively add more projects in future releases?

5) CLI Integration:

Similar to 4) those projects interested in participating in the new packaging will have to go through some changes and/or lose some features but can we just focus on Netconf for this release?

As a summary, I do not think we have to resolve every project integration problem before we start doing anything here. Lets pick a simple use case like Netconf, start working on it, learn with the process and after add more projects. Does it make sense or am I missing something here?

BR/Luis



> On Nov 12, 2019, at 8:50 AM, Robert Varga <nite@...> wrote:
>
>
>
> On 07/11/2019 20:22, Abhijit Kumbhare wrote:
>> Historically we have done it over email.
>
> Hello,
>
> I have updated the proposal to spell out gaps in our knowledge of the
> problem/solution domains here:
>
> https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/Project_Proposals:Lighty#Open_questions
>
> We will need to provide some amount of answers in these before the
> proposal can be considered complete (and thus subject to review and
> approval).
>
> Please send in your comments to this thread, or provide edits of the
> page in case you have concrete data to be added to the existing text.
>
> Also, please indicate your willingness to work on the project by listing
> yourself in the committed resources -- based on the outcome of the
> collaboration, we (i.e. community) will pick a set of committers to make
> sure the project end up executing properly.
>
> Thanks,
> Robert
>
>
>
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 10:43 AM Tejas Nevrekar <tejas.nevrekar@...
>> <mailto:tejas.nevrekar@...>> wrote:
>>
>>    Hi all,
>>
>>    I did not find a way to add comments to the project page draft
>>    - https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/Project_Proposals:Lighty.
>>
>>    Is there an alternate page or can we do email?
>>
>>    Regards,
>>
>>    Tejas. S. Nevrekar
>>    Mobile: +91-99805 31339
>>    Bangalore, INDIA.
>>
>>
>>    On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 1:14 PM Abhijit Kumbhare
>>    <abhijitkoss@... <mailto:abhijitkoss@...>> wrote:
>>
>>        Samuel,
>>
>>        When do you think you will be ready to move this project
>>        proposal beyond draft to an actual proposal by sending it to the
>>        mailing list for project proposals
>>        <project-proposals@...
>>        <https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/project-proposals>>?
>>
>>        Thanks,
>>        Abhijit -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>>        Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.
>>
>>        View/Reply Online (#12188):
>>        https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/message/12188
>>        Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/36487308/1217489
>>        Group Owner: TSC+owner@...
>>        <mailto:TSC%2Bowner@...>
>>        Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/unsub
>>        [tejas.nevrekar@... <mailto:tejas.nevrekar@...>]
>>        -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>>
>>
>> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>> Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.
>>
>> View/Reply Online (#12193): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/message/12193
>> Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/36487308/1320659
>> Group Owner: TSC+owner@...
>> Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/unsub  [nite@...]
>> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>>
>
>
>
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.
>
> View/Reply Online (#12215): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/message/12215
> Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/36487308/1217165
> Group Owner: TSC+owner@...
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/unsub  [ecelgp@...]
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-