TSC meetings accessibility

Alissa Bonas <abonas@...>

Hello,

I'd like to bring the following issue to your attention - the usage of Webex for TSC meetings.
As you probably know, there is a very poor (if not lack at all) support for Webex on Linux systems.
As a result, community members such as myself are not able to connect to the meetings nor listen to their recording afterwards.
The webex recordings desktop player is not available for Linux, nor does it work (at least not out of the box) in Firefox/Chrome on Fedora/RHEL.

IMHO, being part of an open source community, and especially belonging to the Linux foundation implies that all community members are supposed to be able to easily access the meetings and their recording, and should be able to so from a Linux OS.

Please consider using some other tool that is supported well on Linux.
Or perhaps switch to IRC which is a very common method of holding meetings in other open source projects.

Thank you in advance,
Alissa

Ed Warnicke (eaw) <eaw@...>

Alissa,
I’m sympathetic to issues for Linux users. Thinking it through bit by bit though
there are certain features that are extremely helpful to have for the TSC calls:

1) Voice (obviously)
2) Attendee List (we use this every meeting to help determine quorum etc)
3) A visual way to associate who is speaking with attendees (I know this helps tremendously for folks in figuring out who’s talking,
as well as allowing us to identify sources of random noise on the line)
4) The ability of the admin to mute identify (see #3) and selectively mute folks who are producing undo
noise (like taking a cell phone call while on the call and failing to mute themselves)
5) Screensharing (we *do* share things other than the agenda, and as we have decided to ask
projects to present to the TSC prior to their creation reviews, I suspect this will remain critical).
6) Can record the call and attendant screen share

I am quite open to finding a mechanism that is more Linux friendly (as well as Mac/Windows) that
can meet these needs. Would you be willing to do some research to find such a service?

Ed

On Dec 31, 2013, at 3:59 AM, Alissa Bonas <abonas@...> wrote:

[...]

I just put a few minutes into trying Webex on Linux. When I tried to
join a Webex meeting from Firefox on

hagbard@ubuntu:~/git/controller$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release: 12.04
Codename: precise

    It complained about the lack of a Java browser
plugin.  A few minutes googling about led me to
just installing:

sudo apt-get install icedtea-7-plugin

After relaunching Firefox I was able to :

1)  Join a Webex meeting
2)  See the Webex share from the meeting
3)  Share an application from Linux to the Webex meeting
4)  Play back a TSC meeting on Linux.

It seems the only issue at all was installing a Java browser plugin
(which is what icedtea-7-plugin does).

Have you tried something like this?  If so, did it work for you?

David Meyer <dmm@...>

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 8:44 PM, Ed Warnicke (eaw) <eaw@...> wrote:
[...]

I want to discuss this with the TSC so Alissa, if you want to do
research go ahead but this decision lies with the TSC.

--dmm

[...]

Yes, of course, it's up to TSC to decide on this matter.