Upcoming OpenDaylight HackFest dates

Phil Robb

Hello OpenDaylight TSC:

Possible dates and locations for the next HackFests include:

  • Mid to late August in the San Jose area
  • The week of Sept 16th in New Orleans - Coincident with LinuxCon North America
  • The week of October 21st in Edinburgh U.K. - Coincident with LinuxCon Europe
  • Late November / Early December in Japan (It seems like the logical place to hold our first Asian HackFest given the number of developers in the community from that geography.)
We need to decide within the next couple of days regarding the potential Hackfest in August in order to get it set up in time.  In my opinion, this one might be a bit too close to our July Hackfest but I defer to the TSC.

We also need to decide within the next couple of days regarding the September Hackfest at LinuxCon North America.  Available space is going quickly and we need to confirm our presence if we going to have one there.

Please let me know your thoughts as soon as possible.  We are on a short fuse.

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Phil Robb
Director - Networking Solutions

Christopher Price <christopher.price@...>

Hi Phil & All,

I see value in some collaborative activity close to milestone 2 of the simultaneous release plan.  We should be at this time rather well aligned between projects and into the less attractive details of getting the work done.  I do agree that it may be a bit much to squeeze a HackFest in between Portland and New Orleans.  I wonder if we have other tools in our toolkits that can help with some collaboration, getting the project leads to align in some way could be enough for M2.

A HackFest in San Jose is easy for us to work with, however some of our members who would be traveling for that might not get as much out of it.  I would be happy enough to wait until September and focus on practical M3 related activities for the next HackFest.

/ Chris

From: Phil Robb <probb@...>
Date: Monday, July 22, 2013 7:53 AM
To: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Subject: [OpenDaylight TSC] Upcoming OpenDaylight HackFest dates

David Meyer <dmm@...>

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 7:53 AM, Phil Robb <probb@...> wrote:
Hello OpenDaylight TSC:

Possible dates and locations for the next HackFests include:

Mid to late August in the San Jose area
The week of Sept 16th in New Orleans - Coincident with LinuxCon North
America
For North America, I would prefer NOLA on the theory that we could get
some cross-pollination.

The week of October 21st in Edinburgh U.K. - Coincident with LinuxCon Europe
Late November / Early December in Japan (It seems like the logical place to
hold our first Asian HackFest given the number of developers in the
community from that geography.)
I'm in favor of both of these.

We need to decide within the next couple of days regarding the potential
Hackfest in August in order to get it set up in time. In my opinion, this
one might be a bit too close to our July Hackfest but I defer to the TSC.

We also need to decide within the next couple of days regarding the
September Hackfest at LinuxCon North America. Available space is going
quickly and we need to confirm our presence if we going to have one there.

Please let me know your thoughts as soon as possible. We are on a short
fuse.
I'll also put this on the agenda for this week's TSC call.

--dmm

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Phil Robb
Director - Networking Solutions
The Linux Foundation
(O) 970-229-5949
(M) 970-420-4292
Skype: Phil.Robb

Ed Warnicke (eaw) <eaw@...>

I think we are more likely to get cross-pollination at this stage by holding the next
hackfest in SJC, as its likely to have the highest concentration of folks who we
can pull in.

Ed

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 8:02 AM, Ed Warnicke (eaw) <eaw@...> wrote:
I think we are more likely to get cross-pollination at this stage by holding the next
hackfest in SJC, as its likely to have the highest concentration of folks who we
can pull in.
Yep, agreed.

--dmm

[...]

Anees A Shaikh <aashaikh@...>

I also discussed with Phil the idea of having the October hackfest in SJC
where we can get more of the folks who will be working on integration
testing for the first simultaneous release. Having some f2f time for that
seems like it would be useful. (Maybe we trade the Europe hackfest with
another date).

thanks.

-- Anees

From: "Ed Warnicke (eaw)" <eaw@...>
To: David Meyer <dmm@...>,
Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Date: 07/23/2013 08:05 AM
Sent by: tsc-bounces@...

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:01 AM, Anees A Shaikh <aashaikh@...> wrote:
I also discussed with Phil the idea of having the October hackfest in SJC
where we can get more of the folks who will be working on integration
testing for the first simultaneous release. Having some f2f time for that
seems like it would be useful. (Maybe we trade the Europe hackfest with
another date).
Phil mentioned that to me also and it makes a lot of sense. --dmm

From: "Ed Warnicke (eaw)" <eaw@...>
To: David Meyer <dmm@...>,
Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Date: 07/23/2013 08:05 AM
Sent by: tsc-bounces@...

<probb@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi All:

From this thread and conversations at the hackfest, it seems that doing the next couple hackfests in the San Jose area.  Cross-checking dates against the Release Plan and other competing network/SDN events how about the following:

The week of Sept 10th in San Jose, CA.  - Lines up with the week before M3 and is about 7 weeks from now.

The week of Oct. 28th. - Two weeks before Code Freeze (M5) and 7 weeks from Sept. 10th.

We'll still do the Mini-summits at the Cloud Open events in New Orleans and the U.K. and possibly have a reception as well to introduce the project to the broadest number of people possible at those events.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Phil.

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:04 AM, David Meyer <dmm@...> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:01 AM, Anees A Shaikh <aashaikh@...> wrote:
> I also discussed with Phil the idea of having the October hackfest in SJC
> where we can get more of the folks who will be working on integration
> testing for the first simultaneous release.  Having some f2f time for that
> seems like it would be useful.   (Maybe we trade the Europe hackfest with
> another date).

Phil mentioned that to me also and it makes a lot of sense. --dmm

> thanks.
>
> -- Anees
>
> tsc-bounces@... wrote on 07/23/2013 08:02:58 AM:
>
>> From: "Ed Warnicke (eaw)" <eaw@...>
>> To: David Meyer <dmm@...>,
>> Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
>> Date: 07/23/2013 08:05 AM
>> Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] Upcoming OpenDaylight HackFest dates
>> Sent by: tsc-bounces@...
>>
>> I think we are more likely to get cross-pollination at this stage by
>> holding the next
>> hackfest in SJC, as its likely to have the highest concentration of
>> folks who we
>> can pull in.
>>
>> Ed
>> On Jul 22, 2013, at 9:37 AM, David Meyer <dmm@...> wrote:

>> > For North America, I would prefer NOLA on the theory that we could get
>> > some cross-pollination.

>> LinuxCon Europe
> place to
>> >
>> > I'm in favor of both of these.

> potential
> this
> TSC.

> going
> there.

> short
>> >
>> > I'll also put this on the agenda for this week's TSC call.
>> >
>> > --dmm

Phil Robb
Director - Networking Solutions
The Linux Foundation
(O) 970-229-5949
(M) 970-420-4292
Skype: Phil.Robb

Christopher Price <christopher.price@...>

Sounds like a good plan.
We need to get our heads down now for a while and I agree with the consensus forming that we should look to use these events to drive activity at key times, to that extent these dates/locale's fit nicely.

/ Chris

From: Phil Robb <probb@...>
Date: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:44 PM
To: David Meyer <dmm@...>
Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>

Hi All:

From this thread and conversations at the hackfest, it seems that doing the next couple hackfests in the San Jose area.  Cross-checking dates against the Release Plan and other competing network/SDN events how about the following:

The week of Sept 10th in San Jose, CA.  - Lines up with the week before M3 and is about 7 weeks from now.

The week of Oct. 28th. - Two weeks before Code Freeze (M5) and 7 weeks from Sept. 10th.

We'll still do the Mini-summits at the Cloud Open events in New Orleans and the U.K. and possibly have a reception as well to introduce the project to the broadest number of people possible at those events.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Phil.

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:04 AM, David Meyer <dmm@...> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:01 AM, Anees A Shaikh <aashaikh@...> wrote:
> I also discussed with Phil the idea of having the October hackfest in SJC
> where we can get more of the folks who will be working on integration
> testing for the first simultaneous release.  Having some f2f time for that
> seems like it would be useful.   (Maybe we trade the Europe hackfest with
> another date).

Phil mentioned that to me also and it makes a lot of sense. --dmm

> thanks.
>
> -- Anees
>
> tsc-bounces@... wrote on 07/23/2013 08:02:58 AM:
>
>> From: "Ed Warnicke (eaw)" <eaw@...>
>> To: David Meyer <dmm@...>,
>> Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
>> Date: 07/23/2013 08:05 AM
>> Subject: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] Upcoming OpenDaylight HackFest dates
>> Sent by: tsc-bounces@...
>>
>> I think we are more likely to get cross-pollination at this stage by
>> holding the next
>> hackfest in SJC, as its likely to have the highest concentration of
>> folks who we
>> can pull in.
>>
>> Ed
>> On Jul 22, 2013, at 9:37 AM, David Meyer <dmm@...> wrote:

>> > For North America, I would prefer NOLA on the theory that we could get
>> > some cross-pollination.

>> LinuxCon Europe
> place to
>> >
>> > I'm in favor of both of these.

> potential
> this
> TSC.

> going
> there.

> short
>> >
>> > I'll also put this on the agenda for this week's TSC call.
>> >
>> > --dmm

Phil Robb
Director - Networking Solutions
The Linux Foundation
(O) 970-229-5949
(M) 970-420-4292
Skype: Phil.Robb

David Meyer <dmm@...>

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 2:52 PM, Christopher Price
<christopher.price@...> wrote:
Sounds like a good plan.
We need to get our heads down now for a while and I agree with the consensus
forming that we should look to use these events to drive activity at key
times, to that extent these dates/locale's fit nicely.
+1

/ Chris

From: Phil Robb <probb@...>
Date: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:44 PM
To: David Meyer <dmm@...>
Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>

Hi All:

From this thread and conversations at the hackfest, it seems that doing the
next couple hackfests in the San Jose area. Cross-checking dates against
the Release Plan and other competing network/SDN events how about the
following:

From: "Ed Warnicke (eaw)" <eaw@...>
To: David Meyer <dmm@...>,
Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>