VMs for test tools

Luis Gomez <luis.gomez@...>

Hi TSC members,

I have been talking with Carol today (mentor for test tools), and we agreed we need to have at least 5 VMs in the beginning to test the basic package:

-          VM 1: Test management tools

-          VM2: REST/GUI test generator

-          VM3: ODL controller

-          VM4: OF simulator

-          VM5: Netconf simulator

The question now is how do we get these VMs? Does ODL project have already these resources in the cloud so we can quickly deploy them? So we need to order them through the cloud provider? If so how long does it take to deploy them

In case ODL does not have resources or it takes long to have them, we can always use our Internet Lab in Ericsson but I think it is better to use the final setup from the beginning (if possible).

BR/Luis

Ed Warnicke (eaw) <eaw@...>

Looping in Andrew, our freakishly awesome sysadmin :)

Ed
On Sep 19, 2013, at 10:06 PM, Luis Gomez <luis.gomez@...> wrote:

Hi TSC members,

I have been talking with Carol today (mentor for test tools), and we agreed we need to have at least 5 VMs in the beginning to test the basic package:

-          VM 1: Test management tools
-          VM2: REST/GUI test generator
-          VM3: ODL controller
-          VM4: OF simulator
-          VM5: Netconf simulator

The question now is how do we get these VMs? Does ODL project have already these resources in the cloud so we can quickly deploy them? So we need to order them through the cloud provider? If so how long does it take to deploy them

In case ODL does not have resources or it takes long to have them, we can always use our Internet Lab in Ericsson but I think it is better to use the final setup from the beginning (if possible).

Andrew Grimberg

Greetings folks,

These are all going to be automated tests correct? I ask as we don't
provide shell access in general to systems. We _can_ if we have to but
would prefer not to.

Our standard systems are all RHEL 6 (including everything running the
current infrastructure).

Finally, what specifically is going to be needed on the systems? I ask
as I'll be building the systems up using puppet policy so that we can
easily replicate and make changes in the future.

-Andy-

On Sep 19, 2013, at 10:06 PM, Luis Gomez <luis.gomez@...<mailto:luis.gomez@...>> wrote:

Hi TSC members,

I have been talking with Carol today (mentor for test tools), and we agreed we need to have at least 5 VMs in the beginning to test the basic package:

- VM 1: Test management tools
- VM2: REST/GUI test generator
- VM3: ODL controller
- VM4: OF simulator
- VM5: Netconf simulator

The question now is how do we get these VMs? Does ODL project have already these resources in the cloud so we can quickly deploy them? So we need to order them through the cloud provider? If so how long does it take to deploy them

In case ODL does not have resources or it takes long to have them, we can always use our Internet Lab in Ericsson but I think it is better to use the final setup from the beginning (if possible).

Andrew J Grimberg
Systems Administrator
The Linux Foundation

David Meyer <dmm@...>

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 8:52 AM, Ed Warnicke (eaw) <eaw@...> wrote:
[...]

This begs the larger question of what kind of (permanent) facilities
ODP will need for this kind of activity. Let's talk about this after
you're review of the T&I status on Thursday.

Thx,

--dmm

Luis Gomez <luis.gomez@...>

Hi Andrew,

Yes the idea is to have this test all automated using an automation framework like robot. I cc Carol as she is our automation expert and may have some comments as well. For the access, I think it would be just enough to give it to Carol and maybe the other mentor in China, unless of course you feel comfortable to install all automation and test tools on the VMs.

[...]

Yes we can discuss this on Thursday meeting.

Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...>

wrote:

[...]

It would be awesome for the community if these test Vms would be made
publicly available for download. That way others can be testing against
the same things ODP is. Perhaps external testing can also feedback into
the ODP test suites to make them better.

--Tom

Thx,

--dmm

Ed Warnicke (eaw) <eaw@...>

+1 :)

Ed

wrote:

[...]

Baohua Yang

+1.
VM is becoming one of the most popular distribution media types recently.

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 4:11 AM, Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@...> wrote:

On 9/24/13 12:14 PM, "David Meyer" <dmm@...> wrote:

>On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 8:52 AM, Ed Warnicke (eaw) <eaw@...> wrote:
>> Looping in Andrew, our freakishly awesome sysadmin :)
>>
>> Ed
>> On Sep 19, 2013, at 10:06 PM, Luis Gomez <luis.gomez@...>
>>wrote:
>>
>> Hi TSC members,
>>
>> I have been talking with Carol today (mentor for test tools), and we
>>agreed
>> we need to have at least 5 VMs in the beginning to test the basic
>>package:
>>
>> -          VM 1: Test management tools
>> -          VM2: REST/GUI test generator
>> -          VM3: ODL controller
>> -          VM4: OF simulator
>> -          VM5: Netconf simulator
>>
>> The question now is how do we get these VMs? Does ODL project have
>>already
>> these resources in the cloud so we can quickly deploy them? So we need
>> order them through the cloud provider? If so how long does it take to
>>deploy
>> them
>>
>> In case ODL does not have resources or it takes long to have them, we
>>can
>> always use our Internet Lab in Ericsson but I think it is better to use
>>the
>> final setup from the beginning (if possible).
>
>This begs the larger question of what kind of (permanent) facilities
>ODP will need for this kind of activity. Let's talk about this after
>you're review of the T&I status on Thursday.

        It would be awesome for the community if these test Vms would be made
publicly available for download.  That way others can be testing against
the same things ODP is.  Perhaps external testing can also feedback into
the ODP test suites to make them better.

        --Tom

>Thx,
>
>--dmm
>

>> BR/Luis