Re: [vtn-dev] [opendove-dev] Virtualization Edition Guide for VTN Manager

Hideyuki Tai <h-tai@...>

Hi all,

It seems to me that affinity.nfchainagent and affinity.implementation bundles depend on affinity.l2agent.
The affinity.l2agent runs as a learning switch like the one described in the following link.
http://archive.openflow.org/wk/index.php/OpenDayLight_Tutorial#Sample_application:_MAC_Hub_or_Learning_Switch

The affinity.l2agent installs flow entries when it receives a packet and it knows the destination MAC address of the packet.
So the affinity.l2agent allows communication between all hosts it detects.

L2Agent.java
https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/gitweb?p=affinity.git;a=blob_plain;f=l2agent/src/main/java/org/opendaylight/affinity/l2agent/L2Agent.java;h=b3b285b415bb30fd732de8f6bbae8a645ca90817;hb=HEAD

Is my understanding right?

On the other hand, VTN Manager allows communication only between hosts which belong to the same virtual tenant.

Therefore, flow entries installed by affinity service and VTN Manager might be inconsistent.

For the second release, it's better to provide some kind of mechanism to select which approach to use for peaceful coexistence.

In the last hackfest (September 10), I heard that Madhu planned to add a functionality to Container Manager
which provides a way to select bundles to be copyed for a container to be created.
I think such an approach solves the problem.

Regards,
Hideyuki Tai

From: "Ed Warnicke (eaw)" <eaw@...>
To: Hideyuki Tai <h-tai@...>,
Cc: "<affinity-dev@...>" <affinity-
dev@...>, "<discuss@...>"
<discuss@...>, "integration-
dev@..." <integration-
dev@...>, "<opendove-dev@...>"
<opendove-dev@...>, "vtn-
dev@..." <vtn-dev@...>
Date: 11/15/2013 11:19 PM
Subject: Re: [opendove-dev] [integration-dev] Virtualization Edition
Guide for VTN Manager
Sent by: opendove-dev-bounces@...

Hideyuki,

This is a problem as affinity is also part of the virtualization
edition... what can be done to allow peaceful coexistence?

Ed

On Nov 15, 2013, at 12:00 AM, "Hideyuki Tai" <h-tai@...>
wrote:

Hi all,

I've written the procedure how to run VTN Manager without any
trouble in the Virtualization Edition
in the following page.

https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/
OpenDaylight_Virtual_Tenant_Network_(VTN):Installation:Virtualization_Edition

VTN Manager does not work correctly when the following bundles are
running:
* arphandler bundle (org.opendaylight.controller.arphandler)
* sample bundles (org.opendaylight.controller.samples.*)
* affinity bundles (org.opendaylight.affinity.*)

For example, simpleforwarding
(org.opendaylight.controller.samples.simpleforwarding) sets
flow entries automatically after detecting host information.
These flow entries might be inconsistent with flow entries
installed by VTN Manager.

To let VTN Manager work correctly in the Virtualization Edition,
you have to stop the above bundles.
For example, to prevent OSGi framework from automatically
installing and starting the above bundles,
please edit configuration/config.ini as follows.

47 # Avoid to auto-install following bundles, that means those need
48 # to be started manually or in other way like osgi.bundles
49 #felix.fileinstall.filter=^(?!org.apache.felix.fileinstall).*
50 felix.fileinstall.filter=\
51 ^(?!org\\.(apache\\.felix\\.fileinstall|\
52 opendaylight\\.(affinity|\
53 controller\\.(arphandler|samples)))).*
54

Installation Guide for VTN Coordinator is available here:
https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/
OpenDaylight_Virtual_Tenant_Network_(VTN):Installation:VTN_Coordinator

To test VTN Coordinator, please check the above guide.
VTN Coordinator is not included in the Virtualization Edition yet,
but I believe that it will be included soon.

Regards,
Hideyuki Tai

Join integration-dev@lists.opendaylight.org to automatically receive all group messages.