Date

Re: [E] Re: [integration-dev] integration/distribution version issues

Sangwook Ha

Looking at the release & version bump cycle, some of the steps may be simplified, and hopefully automated:

- For each release of managed projects, release & version bump, are done separately a few days apart - is there any reason why this cannot be done together?
- For 'opendaylight/pom.xml' there are multiple manual steps: can steps 2 & 3 be merged & done automatically?
1) activate profiles for self-managed projects
2) release
3) update versions and deactivate profiles for self-managed projects (sometimes the version bump is done in two separate steps: the artifact/karaf & self-managed project)

And there are two different types of release tags - one for managed projects (e.g. release/silicon-sr3) and common release (14.3.0). The former does not update 'opendaylight/pom.xml' but the latter updates all the POM files. And this is confusing because all the versions except for 'opendaylight/pom.xml' have been bumped up by the time the release is made, and they have a version ahead of what the label says (e.g. for the tag '14.3.0' all the versions except for 'opendaylight/pom.xml' is '14.4.0').

Thanks,
Sangwook

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 1:18 AM Robert Varga <nite@...> wrote:
On 17/11/2021 08:26, Luis Gomez wrote:
> I thought this was clear, at least to ODL old folks, the int/dist
> project holds 2 distributions:

Three, actually.

> - Karaf distribution (karaf/pom.xml) only containing Managed projects is
> also a Managed project and integrated with autorelease (automatic
> release & bump).
> - Common distribution (opendaylight/pom.xml) containing Managed and Self
> Managed projects. This is a Self Managed project and therefore it has to
> be manually released, bumped, etc, just like any other SM project.

Yes, and therefore the release lifecycle of int/dist is unlike any other
project I have come across.

> AFAIR the sanity test you are pointing out is the only test that uses
> the common distribution, all of our CSIT uses Karaf distribution. I hope
> this explains.

Right-o, but unfortunately you are explaining something completely
off-topic, so let me try to reiterate.

1. Ever since the dawn of autorelease MSI projects have agreed to bump
the minor version, i.e. 1.2.0 -> 1.3.0

2. On Feb 22 this year, Anil branched stable/silicon, correctly bumping
opendaylight/pom.xml from 0.14.0-SNAPSHOT to 0.15.0-SNAPSHOT:
https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/c/integration/distribution/+/95287

3. On Apr 3 this year, you changed the versioning scheme on
stable/silicon to 14.0.0-SNAPSHOT:
https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/c/integration/distribution/+/95655

4. On Apr 22 this year, Guillaume made a similar change on then-master:
https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/c/integration/distribution/+/95789

5. On Sep 21 this year, Anil branched stable/phosphorus, but unlike all
the previous times, opendaylight/pom.xml's version was NOT updated:
https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/c/integration/distribution/+/97551

6. On Sep 24 this year, the first successful
distribution-merge-full-sulfur job run:
https://s3-logs.opendaylight.org/logs/releng/vex-yul-odl-jenkins-1/distribution-merge-full-sulfur/2/console.log.gz,
happily doing:

> Deploying the main artifact opendaylight-15.0.0-SNAPSHOT.tar.gz
> Uploading to opendaylight-snapshot: https://nexus.opendaylight.org/content/repositories/opendaylight.snapshot/org/opendaylight/integration/opendaylight/15.0.0-SNAPSHOT/opendaylight-15.0.0-20210924.032546-1083.tar.gz
> Uploaded to opendaylight-snapshot: https://nexus.opendaylight.org/content/repositories/opendaylight.snapshot/org/opendaylight/integration/opendaylight/15.0.0-SNAPSHOT/opendaylight-15.0.0-20210924.032546-1083.tar.gz (266 MB at 28 MB/s)
> Uploading to opendaylight-snapshot: https://nexus.opendaylight.org/content/repositories/opendaylight.snapshot/org/opendaylight/integration/opendaylight/15.0.0-SNAPSHOT/maven-metadata.xml
> Uploaded to opendaylight-snapshot: https://nexus.opendaylight.org/content/repositories/opendaylight.snapshot/org/opendaylight/integration/opendaylight/15.0.0-SNAPSHOT/maven-metadata.xml (982 B at 18 kB/s)

7. On Sep 24 this year, run-of-the mill
distribution-merge-full-phosphorus ran:
https://s3-logs.opendaylight.org/logs/releng/vex-yul-odl-jenkins-1/distribution-merge-full-phosphorus/1170/console.log.gz,
happily doing this:

> Deploying the main artifact opendaylight-15.0.0-SNAPSHOT.tar.gz
> Uploading to opendaylight-snapshot: https://nexus.opendaylight.org/content/repositories/opendaylight.snapshot/org/opendaylight/integration/opendaylight/15.0.0-SNAPSHOT/opendaylight-15.0.0-20210924.050736-1084.tar.gz
> Uploaded to opendaylight-snapshot: https://nexus.opendaylight.org/content/repositories/opendaylight.snapshot/org/opendaylight/integration/opendaylight/15.0.0-SNAPSHOT/opendaylight-15.0.0-20210924.050736-1084.tar.gz (266 MB at 28 MB/s)
> Uploading to opendaylight-snapshot: https://nexus.opendaylight.org/content/repositories/opendaylight.snapshot/org/opendaylight/integration/opendaylight/15.0.0-SNAPSHOT/maven-metadata.xml
> Uploaded to opendaylight-snapshot: https://nexus.opendaylight.org/content/repositories/opendaylight.snapshot/org/opendaylight/integration/opendaylight/15.0.0-SNAPSHOT/maven-metadata.xml (982 B at 20 kB/s)

8. This continued for quite some time, i.e. the contents of
opendaylight-15.0.0-SNAPSHOT flip-flopped between Sulfur and Phosphorus

9. On Oct 24 distribution-merge-full-phosphorus started publishing
opendaylight-15.1.0-SNAPSHOT:
https://s3-logs.opendaylight.org/logs/releng/vex-yul-odl-jenkins-1/distribution-merge-full-phosphorus/1322/console.log.gz

10. On Oct 24 distribution-merge-full-sulfur started failing:
https://s3-logs.opendaylight.org/logs/releng/vex-yul-odl-jenkins-1/distribution-merge-full-sulfur/149/console.log.gz

11. On Nov 13 the last published opendaylight-15.0.0-SNAPSHOT expired in
Nexus

12. On Nov 14 distribution-merge-full-sulfur started failing:
https://s3-logs.opendaylight.org/logs/releng/vex-yul-odl-jenkins-1/distribution-merge-full-sulfur/275/console.log.gz
with

> ERROR: Failed to parse POMs
> hudson.remoting.ProxyException: hudson.maven.MavenModuleSetBuild$MavenExecutionException: org.apache.maven.project.ProjectBuildingException: Some problems were encountered while processing the POMs:
> [FATAL] Non-resolvable parent POM for org.opendaylight.integration:opendaylight:15.0.0-SNAPSHOT: Could not find artifact org.opendaylight.integration:karaf:pom:0.15.0-SNAPSHOT in opendaylight-snapshot (https://nexus.opendaylight.org/content/repositories/opendaylight.snapshot/) and 'parent.relativePath' points at no local POM @ line 14, column 13

The bottom line is:

- int/dist setup was busted for almost two months
- job failures have been indicating this clearly for a month
- now finally everything fell apart
- it was a downstream user who detected this mess

I equally hope this explains.

Bye,
Robert

> For more information check this doc:
> https://docs.opendaylight.org/projects/integration-distribution/en/latest/add-project-distribution.html
> <https://docs.opendaylight.org/projects/integration-distribution/en/latest/add-project-distribution.html>
>
> BR/Luis
>
>> On Nov 16, 2021, at 9:08 PM, Robert Varga <nite@...
>> <mailto:nite@...>> wrote:
>>
>> On 17/11/2021 00:37, Daniel de la Rosa wrote:
>>> Let me add more Robert and team to make sure that they see this email
>>
>> This boils down to interaction between autorelease and int/dist.
>>
>> autorelease assumes branch cutting involves bumping minor version,
>> which has been true for all MSI projects since forever.
>>
>> int/dist started violating that assumption by changing versioning
>> scheme here:
>> https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/c/integration/distribution/+/95655
>> <https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/c/integration/distribution/+/95655>
>>
>> I have no skin in this particular game, sorry.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Robert
>>

>>> On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 1:47 PM Sangwook Ha via
>>> lists.opendaylight.org <http://lists.opendaylight.org>
>>> <http://lists.opendaylight.org <http://lists.opendaylight.org>>
>>> <sangwook.ha=verizon.com@...
>>> <mailto:sangwook.ha=verizon.com@...>
>>> <mailto:verizon.com@...
>>> <mailto:verizon.com@...>>> wrote:
>>>    It appears that the versions in
>>>    integration/distribution/opendaylight have not been updated, and
>>>    some Jenkins jobs are failing: e.g.
>>>    openflowplugin-csit-1node-sanity-only-sulfur
>>>    <https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/view/openflowplugin/job/openflowplugin-csit-1node-sanity-only-sulfur/
>>> <https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/view/openflowplugin/job/openflowplugin-csit-1node-sanity-only-sulfur/>>
>>>    I submitted two patches to fix up the version issues for Sulfur &
>>>    Silicon - Phosphorus seems okay.
>>>    Shouldn't this be done automatically when it's released? Looks like
>>>    release version bump to remove SNAPSHOT is done automatically but
>>>    SNAPSHOT version is not updated for opendaylight artifact.
>>>    Thanks,
>>>    Sangwook

Re: integration/distribution version issues

Robert Varga

For more information check this doc: https://docs.opendaylight.org/projects/integration-distribution/en/latest/add-project-distribution.html <https://docs.opendaylight.org/projects/integration-distribution/en/latest/add-project-distribution.html>

int/dist started violating that assumption by changing versioning scheme here: https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/c/integration/distribution/+/95655 <https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/c/integration/distribution/+/95655>

   <https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/view/openflowplugin/job/openflowplugin-csit-1node-sanity-only-sulfur/ <https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/view/openflowplugin/job/openflowplugin-csit-1node-sanity-only-sulfur/>>
   I submitted two patches to fix up the version issues for Sulfur &
   Silicon - Phosphorus seems okay.
   Shouldn't this be done automatically when it's released? Looks like
   release version bump to remove SNAPSHOT is done automatically but
   SNAPSHOT version is not updated for opendaylight artifact.
   Thanks,
   Sangwook

Re: integration/distribution version issues

Luis Gomez

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 1:47 PM Sangwook Ha via lists.opendaylight.org <http://lists.opendaylight.org> <sangwook.ha=verizon.com@... <mailto:verizon.com@...>> wrote:
[...]

Daniel de la Rosa

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 1:47 PM Sangwook Ha via lists.opendaylight.org <sangwook.ha=verizon.com@...> wrote:
[...]

Re: [it-infrastructure-alerts][notice] ODL maintenance window (11:00pm Sun, Nov 14 - 3:30am Mon, Nov 15 UTC)

Anil Belur

Hello all,

ODL maintenance window is complete. All services are back online! Thank you for your patience.

On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 7:37 PM Anil Belur <abelur@...> wrote:
What: LF will perform maintenance on ODL services.

When:  11:00pm Sun, Nov 14 - 3:30am Mon, Nov 15 UTC (10:00am Mon, Nov 15 - 2:30pm Mon, Nov 15 AEDT)

Why: ODL Services (Jenkins, Nexus) some of LVM's need to be migrated across data centers. LF will also update Gerrit to 3.3.x.

Impact: Users may be unable to access any services (Jira, Gerrit, Wiki, Jenkins, Sonar, Nexus, Sigul) during this time.

Jenkins will be put in shutdown mode before the window starts and any long-running Jenkins jobs _will_ be canceled if they don't complete before the start of the window. Notices will be posted to the mailing lists and on the LFN #opendaylight slack channel at the start and end of the maintenance.

Re: [it-infrastructure-alerts][notice] ODL maintenance window (11:00pm Sun, Nov 14 - 3:30am Mon, Nov 15 UTC)

Anil Belur

Hello all,

We had an internal review on the estimates, and it's been advised we require a larger window than estimated (increased by 2 hours) since we have large volumes to be taken offline and moved to newer nvme volumes.

When (updated):  11:00pm Sun, Nov 14 - 5:30am Mon, Nov 15 UTC (10:00am Mon, Nov 15 - 4:30pm Mon, Nov 15 AEDT)

On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 7:37 PM Anil Belur <abelur@...> wrote:
What: LF will perform maintenance on ODL services.

When:  11:00pm Sun, Nov 14 - 3:30am Mon, Nov 15 UTC (10:00am Mon, Nov 15 - 2:30pm Mon, Nov 15 AEDT)

Why: ODL Services (Jenkins, Nexus) some of LVM's need to be migrated across data centers. LF will also update Gerrit to 3.3.x.

Impact: Users may be unable to access any services (Jira, Gerrit, Wiki, Jenkins, Sonar, Nexus, Sigul) during this time.

Jenkins will be put in shutdown mode before the window starts and any long-running Jenkins jobs _will_ be canceled if they don't complete before the start of the window. Notices will be posted to the mailing lists and on the LFN #opendaylight slack channel at the start and end of the maintenance.

Re: [opendaylight-dev][release] OpenDaylight - Silicon SR3 release status

Luis Gomez

On Nov 9, 2021, at 9:44 PM, Daniel de la Rosa <ddelarosa0707@...> wrote:

Thanks Luis, and in that case, please proceed to release Silicon SR3 at your earliest convenience

Thank you all

On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 7:12 PM Luis Gomez <ecelgp@...> wrote:
The release actually happened before the other projects because TPCE does not depend anymore on MSI projects. For future, I would still recommend TPCE to wait for the TSC release approval, otherwise there is risk of having to repeat the release if for a example a bug in the kernel is found.

BR/Luis

On Nov 9, 2021, at 5:47 PM, Daniel de la Rosa <ddelarosa0707@...> wrote:

HI Gilles,

This is from the other email thread.... The logs you show below are for a normal merge job that does not publish release artifacts but SNAPSHOT. So in short, you have bumped TPCE to use Silicon SR3 but the actual TPCE Silicon SR3 release does not happen until 1) Silicon SR3 release artifacts for all managed projects are published in nexus and 2) you execute this release merge job: https://jenkins.opendaylight.org/releng/view/transportpce/job/transportpce-release-merge

thanks

On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 7:09 AM <gilles.thouenon@...> wrote:

Hi Daniel,

Shweta released TransportPCE SR3 last week.

Please see the following log : https://s3-logs.opendaylight.org/logs/releng/vex-yul-odl-jenkins-1/transportpce-release-merge/23/

At first sight it seems OK.

Please tell us if there is any other action required from our side (still the release note to update)

Gilles

*De :*integration-dev@...
<mailto:integration-dev@...>