Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] [lists.opendaylight.org代发]Re: Propose a new project: Alt-datastores


Robert Varga
 

Hello,

having reviewed the proposal, I am not quite clear of points here:

- DataTreeChangeService paragraph seems to imply DataTreeChangeService
API contract is not being correctly implemented

- since the feature is integrated at DOMDataBroker level (as opposed at
DOMDataTreeService level), it is not clear how this would work in a
hybrid environment -- I don't quite see where inter-datastore
compatibility is solved. Most notably, it seems that RESTCONF is singled
out as 'special' and has a proxy injected, yet other applications use
specific datastores. How would a mix of CDS/Yongo/etcd-using
applications work and how does this relate to the MD-SAL APIs?

- project scope is a bit blurry. Can we get a clear, bullet-point list
of what the project is all about? The sentence 'For Restconf, it
requires users to rebuild 'restconf-nb-bierman02' and
'restconf-nb-rfc8040' to reference to DOMDataBroker and
DOMDataTreeChangeService with a new type.' feels like a hack, not like a
properly-architected solution. This leads me to believe the project does
not really integrate, as it does a whole-sale replacement of a single
implementation. This is going to a nightmare from packaging perspective,
at the very least.

- the proposal spells DOMRpcService, but does not mention
DOMActionService. RFC7950 makes a rather strong connection between the
operational store and DOMActionService -- what are the interactions
between these?

- what does the 'alt-ds-adapter' do? how does it relate to existing
MD-SAL interface?

- a flow diagram showing interactions between one application using etcd
and another using yongo, is definitely needed. Unless the proposal is to
have such applications live in isolated worlds -- in which case it needs
to be explictly spelled out.

The project proposal has underwent rapid expansion in the few weeks it's
been out and I feel the problem domain is still being explored -- there
are architectural questions which seem to be far from having been
considered, let alone having concrete questions.

I would therefore ask for the review period to be extended, so the
proposal can be fleshed out, especially its interactions with MD-SAL
APIs, packaging and migration point of view.

Note: I am not asking for them to be completely resolved, but rather for
the problems to be acknowledged and a rough outline of a solution to be
brought into the scope of the project or an explicit exclusion added.

Thanks,
Robert

On 30/03/2019 01:30, Abhijit Kumbhare wrote:
*For Michael's first questions:*
Isn't there any way we can move on this next week? How about we use that
TWS slot on Monday where there normally is no agenda for a discussion
about this with anyone interested?

*Abhijit's answer:* 
This Monday-Tuesday we have the DDF. Maybe Jie and you can do a remote
session at the DDF? What time will work for you folks? (We would like to
avoid late Tuesday afternoon Pacific time as some ONS related activities
start).  

*For Michael's other questions:* 
Or even just use this email thread to progress asynchronously... does
anyone reading this have any objections to this project proposal? If
not, let's just have a vote ASAP?

*Abhijit's** answer:* 
In the past, the TSC has offered projects in other timezones to skip
presenting about the project and for the TSC to vote. In this case it
certainly makes sense. However there has to be a two week review period
(as per the creation review process) - which in this case would be March
21st to April 3. I will initiate a vote on April 3. 


On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 3:32 AM Michael Vorburger <vorburger@...
<mailto:vorburger@...>> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 4:02 AM Abhijit Kumbhare
<abhijitkoss@... <mailto:abhijitkoss@...>> wrote:

Ok - Michael can you please confirm?


I'm on PTO that (and the following) week. Isn't there any way we can
move on this next week?

How about we use that TWS slot on Monday where there normally is no
agenda for a discussion about this with anyone interested?

Or even just use this email thread to progress asynchronously...
does anyone reading this have any objections to this project
proposal? If not, let's just have a vote ASAP?

PS: Sorry I missed yesterday's TSC meeting; something unexpected
came up.
 

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 5:40 PM <han.jie@...
<mailto:han.jie@...>> wrote:

Then how about we push it back to April 18th?


Thanks,

Jie

原始邮件
*发件人:*MichaelVorburger <vorburger@...
<mailto:vorburger@...>>
*收件人:*Abhijit Kumbhare <abhijitkoss@...
<mailto:abhijitkoss@...>>;
*抄送人:*project-proposals@...
<mailto:project-proposals@...>
<project-proposals@...
<mailto:project-proposals@...>>;jinkaiwen@...
<mailto:jinkaiwen@...>
<jinkaiwen@...
<mailto:jinkaiwen@...>>;__<tsc@...
<mailto:tsc@...>>;__熊泉
00091065;guobiaomo@...
<mailto:guobiaomo@...>
<guobiaomo@...
<mailto:guobiaomo@...>>;lijiansong@...
<mailto:lijiansong@...>
<lijiansong@...
<mailto:lijiansong@...>>;zhangminyj@...
<mailto:zhangminyj@...>
<zhangminyj@...
<mailto:zhangminyj@...>>;
*日 期 :*2019年03月28日 17:06
*主 题 :**Re: [OpenDaylight TSC][lists.opendaylight.org
<http://lists.opendaylight.org>代发]Re:  Propose a new
project: Alt-datastores*
_______________________________________________
TSC mailing list
TSC@... <mailto:TSC@...>
https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc


I just realized that I won't be able to attend the TSC
meeting on April 11th (due to school vacation starting here
that Friday and related personal plans).

If the agenda on today's TSC call is not overly full
already, perhaps we could discuss this project proposal today? 


On Sat, 23 Mar 2019, 04:18 Abhijit Kumbhare,
<abhijitkoss@... <mailto:abhijitkoss@...>> wrote:

The meeting is every Thursday. The details of the
meeting are
at: https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/TSC:Meeting. So
yes - the Zoom link is a permanent link for the meeting.


On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 4:59 PM Yi Yang (杨燚)-云服务集
团 <yangyi01@... <mailto:yangyi01@...>> wrote:

Is next TSC meeting 9:00 AM US Pacific Time On
Thursday, April 11? Is it biweekly? I’ll join this
call for discussion, is this one
https://zoom.us/j/219174946 is permanent meeting
link for it? Anybody can help confirm? Thank you in
advance.

 

*发件人:*tsc-bounces@...
<mailto:tsc-bounces@...>
[mailto:tsc-bounces@...
<mailto:tsc-bounces@...>] *代表
*Michael Vorburger
*发送时间:*2019年3月22日18:34
*收件人:*Abhijit Kumbhare <abhijitkoss@...
<mailto:abhijitkoss@...>>
*抄送:*project-proposals@...
<mailto:project-proposals@...>;
jinkaiwen@...
<mailto:jinkaiwen@...>;
<tsc@...
<mailto:tsc@...>>
<tsc@...
<mailto:tsc@...>>;
xiong.quan@...
<mailto:xiong.quan@...>;
guobiaomo@...
<mailto:guobiaomo@...>;
lijiansong@...
<mailto:lijiansong@...>;
zhangminyj@...
<mailto:zhangminyj@...>
*主题:*[lists.opendaylight.org
<http://lists.opendaylight.org>代发]Re:
[OpenDaylight TSC] Propose a new project: Alt-datastores

 

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 7:32 AM Abhijit Kumbhare
<abhijitkoss@...
<mailto:abhijitkoss@...>> wrote:

Thank you Jie!

 

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 6:37 PM
<han.jie@... <mailto:han.jie@...>>
wrote:

Mr. Chairman, 

Thank you for the arrangement. I will attend
the meeting, will M. and others too?

I'll attend the TSC meeting on April 11.

During the review period,  discussion and
any question is very welcome about the
Alt-datastores.

 

Thanks,

Jie




原始邮件

*发件人:*AbhijitKumbhare
<abhijitkoss@...
<mailto:abhijitkoss@...>>

*收件人:*韩杰10054376;

*抄送人:*project-proposals
<project-proposals@...
<mailto:project-proposals@...>>;tsc
<tsc@...
<mailto:tsc@...>>;Michael
Vorburger <vorburger@...
<mailto:vorburger@...>>;熊泉
00091065;lijiansong@...
<mailto:00091065%3Blijiansong@...>
<lijiansong@...
<mailto:lijiansong@...>>;guobiao.mo@...
<mailto:guobiao.mo@...>
<guobiao.mo@...
<mailto:guobiao.mo@...>>;zhangminyj@...
<mailto:zhangminyj@...>
<zhangminyj@...
<mailto:zhangminyj@...>>;jinkaiwen@...
<mailto:jinkaiwen@...>
<jinkaiwen@...
<mailto:jinkaiwen@...>>;

*日 期 :*2019年03月22日08:06

*主 题 :Re: Propose a new project:
Alt-datastores*

Jie, Michael and folks,

You have submitted the project proposal
today March 21. The next steps would be to
have the creation review for the project in
a TSC meeting after a two week review
period. Ordinarily two weeks would have
placed the review in the April 4th TSC
meeting. Since several of us will be at the
ONS, North America on that date and will
also be meeting in person at the
OpenDaylight DDF on April 1-2, we will
likely cancel that week's meeting. Hence, it
makes sense to have the review in the TSC
meeting on April 11.

Would it be possible for you folks to attend
that meeting? Logistics (web
conference/dial-in) of the TSC meetings are
at: https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/TSC:Meeting.

 

Thanks,

Abhijit

 

 

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 2:35 AM
<han.jie@...
<mailto:han.jie@...>> wrote:

 

Dear Abhijit and all, 
I together with Michael Vorburger and
team members from China Mobile and China
Telecom want to propose a new project in
ODL called Alt-datastores. 
The topic of this project has alaways
been discussed in the past. ODL will be
able to support a 3rd-party datastore
with our project.
The details is as the proposal shown:
 https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/Project_Proposals:Alt-datastores

Please let me know what should I do next. 

Best Regards, 
Jie

 

韩杰 hanjie

软件开发工程师 Software Developer
软件平台南京开发一部/有线研究院/有线产品
经营部  

Software Platform Nanjing Development
Dept I/Wireline Product R&D
Institute/Wireline Product Operation
Division




 



_______________________________________________
TSC mailing list
TSC@...
https://lists.opendaylight.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc

Join project-proposals@lists.opendaylight.org to automatically receive all group messages.