Date

Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] A new project proposal: TrieMap

Michael Vorburger <vorburger@...>

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 2:47 PM, Robert Varga <nite@...> wrote:
On 20/09/17 14:10, Michael Vorburger wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 3:49 PM, Robert Varga <nite@...
> <mailto:nite@...>> wrote:
>
>     Hello everyone,
>
>     I would like to propose a new project, TrieMap, as detailed in
>     https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/Project_Proposals:Triemap
>     <https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/Project_Proposals:Triemap>.
>
>     This would be an Oxygen-timeframe spin-off from YANG Tools, which is
>     currently hosting the codebase due to it being the topmost project
>     requiring the implementation.
>
>     There are three reasons for splitting the code from YANG Tools:
>     - the code is outside of scope of YANG Tools
>     - the code does not have any dependencies on other code in YANG Tools
>     - the code is almost feature-complete at this stage and very stable,
>     hence would benefit from independent versioning
>
>     Please review the proposal, any feedback is welcome.
>

> an entire formal new ODL project for these... 5 classes strikes me as ..
> curious.

nite@nitebug : ~/odl/yangtools/third-party/triemap on  $ find . -name
\*.java | wc -l
51

nite@nitebug : ~/odl/yangtools/third-party/triemap on  $ find . -name
\*.java | xargs wc -l | tail -n 1
  4691 total

e.g. 51 classes for 4.7KLOC, with some small room for growth in features
(spliterators) and test coverage.

> I noticed that you have, apparently in vain, attempted to contribute to
> upstream https://github.com/romix/java-concurrent-hash-trie-map ... in
> an ideal world, that guy, whoever he is, should just make you a
> committer on that repo, but I'm guessing from seeing PRs here
> https://github.com/romix/java-concurrent-hash-trie-map/pulls ignore
> that's not going to happen? ;-)

Completely unresponsive for 18+ months.

> But so instead of a new top level ODL project how about just:
>
> (a) just keep this on your personal GitHub, release to Maven central,
> and depend on it in yangtools? This code is for a very general data
> structure, and has nothing at all to do with ODL SDN as such.

Well, I really like to keep ODL coding standards and packaging, which
means consuming odlparent -- which is not in maven central, making it
not really convenient.

> (b) just integrate this either as a new package in an existing bundle or
> as a new bundle into an existing ODL project instead of creating yet
> another one?

As noted, this is already done, as the code currently lives in
yangtools. This works, but is not ideal, as it forces unnecessary
versioning churn.

> infrautils comes to mind - personally that's what I think
> it's for (general infra structure "lower than" yangtools). I do
> understand you have some sort of reservations about infrautils, but you
> are a commmitter on it, so you are more than welcome to contribute
> whatever you think is needed in infrautils to make it suitable for
> consumption e.g. by yangtools.

Not "some sort", I have voiced my reservations very clearly multiple
times. One key factor is no bounds on scope, which is very critical for
long-term project health -- at some point a project needs to become code
complete. There is no amount of code I can contribute to fix that.

Aside from that, the codebase in question is about 40% the size of
infrautils and it has *way* better quality:

infrautils:
https://sonar.opendaylight.org/overview?id=66717

triemap:
https://sonar.opendaylight.org/overview?id=org.opendaylight.yangtools%3Atriemap

> Just my 2 cents. If others feel strongly in favour of starting to have
> many "micro" projects at the top-level in ODL, then I have no strong
> objections against that either. But then we could start doing that for
> many other bunch of 5 classes as well...

Aside from '5 classes'. I personally have no problem with that -- as
long as you can:

and that is probably the real Q here - do we want to have such "small" projects.. I'll let others make that decision!

- clearly define scope and stick to it, quickly converging on
feature-completeness
- provide strictly semver'd releases
- sit outside of autorelease

Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] A new project proposal: TrieMap

Robert Varga

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 3:49 PM, Robert Varga <nite@...> wrote:
[...]

(b) just integrate this either as a new package in an existing bundle or as a new bundle into an existing ODL project instead of creating yet another one? infrautils comes to mind - personally that's what I think it's for (general infra structure "lower than" yangtools). I do understand you have some sort of reservations about infrautils, but you are a commmitter on it, so you are more than welcome to contribute whatever you think is needed in infrautils to make it suitable for consumption e.g. by yangtools.

Just my 2 cents. If others feel strongly in favour of starting to have many "micro" projects at the top-level in ODL, then I have no strong objections against that either. But then we could start doing that for many other bunch of 5 classes as well...

Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] Start the creation review for GNT

xingjun chu

Thanks An.

To GNT team,

I just quickly read through the GNT proposal.

 A few comments .  If the project only provides an unified view of the topology and track the changes of the topology across different vendor devices, it is going to be very complementary to FaaS since FaaS is more focus on the abstraction of the topology and provides logical network services over the abstracted topology.

But In the scope, it also states “At present, the logical network of this project is based on the implementation of neutron, features can also be extended if ODL users have other logical network models. “,

Sounds GNT also provides services on top of the topo and wondering what services it provides, if it provides Neutron like L2/L3 services as the quote above implies, then that seems overlaps with FaaS goal in some degree.

Thanks
Xingjun

发件人: <duankaiyuan@...>;
收件人:宦林英10042773;
日 期 :2017年08月23日 10:53
主 题 :Re:答复: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] [Project-proposals] Project proposal of GNT

Thanks for clearing this up! However, is there a list of the timezone for each meeting? We hope to choose one in Sep.

发件人: <duankaiyuan@...>;
收件人: <vishnoianil@gmail..com>; <An.Ho@...>;
日 期 :2017年08月23日 09:09
主 题 :Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] [Project-proposals] Project proposal of GNT

Hi,

I am a little bit confused about the schedule, An said the meeting this month is 8/23(PST), why we can do the creation review at 8/31?

Kaiyuan

发件人: <duankaiyuan@...>;
收件人:宦林英10042773;

On 08/08/17 11:54, 凯元 wrote:

> Hi, everyone

Hello,

> We are still discussing with Colin about the TTP project(integrate or
> not), thus currently, we only create the project proposal about
> GNT(General Network Topology)... Please review it. Thanks!

> Here is the link:

https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/Project_Proposals:General_Network_Topology

Thanks. One immediate question: when you mention 'we have defined a new
YANG model which provides the abstraction of different kinds of
southbound resources', is this model based on the IETF network topology
work, or is it something completely separate?

Re: 答复: Re:答复: Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] Project proposal of GNT

Anil Vishnoi

huan.linying@...

On 08/08/17 11:54, 凯元 wrote:

> Hi, everyone

Hello,

> We are still discussing with Colin about the TTP project(integrate or
> not), thus currently, we only create the project proposal about
> GNT(General Network Topology).. Please review it. Thanks!

> Here is the link:

https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/Project_Proposals:General_Network_Topology

Thanks. One immediate question: when you mention 'we have defined a new
YANG model which provides the abstraction of different kinds of
southbound resources', is this model based on the IETF network topology
work, or is it something completely separate?

Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] Project proposal of GNT

Abhijit Kumbhare

Anil is including the 2 week review period for people to go over your proposal which would be over by August 31 meeting. On the other hand the TSC meeting of August 23 is in a timezone favorable to Asia Pacific. However the proposal will not be eligible for review on August 23 as the 2 week review period will not be over.