Request for new project - ODL Root Parent

Surekha Bejgam (sbejgam) <sbejgam@...>

Hi All,

I have created the following wiki: https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/Project_Proposals:ODL_Root_Parent for new project needed to handle automated weekly releases as per the discussion this morning in TWS call.

Please let me know if you have any questions related to this.

Thanks,
Surekha

Christopher Price <christopher.price@...>

Hi Surekha,

Great that you have this in place.
I suggest calling for a review asap so we have this established for Helium.

One comment I would make it to ensure there are committers from the broad community involved.  This is a simple enough activity if rather critical to the release process, having a broad set of committers would ensure the community is always able to handle releases as they occur.

/ Chris

From: "Surekha Bejgam (sbejgam)" <sbejgam@...>
Date: Monday, April 7, 2014 at 9:17 PM
To: "project-proposals@..." <project-proposals@...>
Cc: "Srikanth Bhamidipati (bsri)" <bsri@...>, "Raghurama Bhat (ragbhat)" <ragbhat@...>
Subject: [Project-proposals] Request for new project - ODL Root Parent

Hi All,

I have created the following wiki: https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/Project_Proposals:ODL_Root_Parent for new project needed to handle automated weekly releases as per the discussion this morning in TWS call.

Please let me know if you have any questions related to this.

Thanks,
Surekha

David Meyer <dmm@...>

Surekha,

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 9:17 PM, Surekha Bejgam (sbejgam)
<sbejgam@...> wrote:
Hi All,

I have created the following wiki:
https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/Project_Proposals:ODL_Root_Parent for new
project needed to handle automated weekly releases as per the discussion
this morning in TWS call.

Please let me know if you have any questions related to this.
Thanks! This great and sorely needed. Chris had good suggestions about
committers, but beyond that, please let us know if you need any other
help.

In addition, please request a creation review as soon as possible
(that would be 04.24.2014 if you feel you are ready).

Thanks again,

--dmm

Thanks,
Surekha

Surekha Bejgam (sbejgam) <sbejgam@...>

Thanks David. Sure, we can add other committers to the list as suggested
by Chris.
I will be ready for review even earlier than 04.24.2014, we can go over it
in TSC call.

Regards,
Surekha

<sbejgam@...> wrote:
Hi All,

I have created the following wiki:
https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/Project_Proposals:ODL_Root_Parent
for new
project needed to handle automated weekly releases as per the discussion
this morning in TWS call.

Please let me know if you have any questions related to this.
Thanks! This great and sorely needed. Chris had good suggestions about
committers, but beyond that, please let us know if you need any other
help.

In addition, please request a creation review as soon as possible
(that would be 04.24.2014 if you feel you are ready).

Thanks again,

--dmm

Thanks,
Surekha

David Meyer <dmm@...>

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 10:55 AM, Surekha Bejgam (sbejgam)
<sbejgam@...> wrote:
Thanks David. Sure, we can add other committers to the list as suggested
by Chris.
I will be ready for review even earlier than 04.24.2014, we can go over it
in TSC call.
Thanks! BTW, the reason I mentioned 04.24 is because after looking at
the proposal logs I see that the 24th the first TSC meeting after your
proposal has been up for 2 weeks (our requirement for creation
review).

Thanks!

--dmm

<sbejgam@...> wrote:
Hi All,

I have created the following wiki:
https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/Project_Proposals:ODL_Root_Parent
for new
project needed to handle automated weekly releases as per the discussion
this morning in TWS call.

Please let me know if you have any questions related to this.
Thanks! This great and sorely needed. Chris had good suggestions about
committers, but beyond that, please let us know if you need any other
help.

In addition, please request a creation review as soon as possible
(that would be 04.24.2014 if you feel you are ready).

Thanks again,

--dmm

Thanks,
Surekha

Surekha Bejgam (sbejgam) <sbejgam@...>

Sure, No Problem.

Thanks,
Surekha

<sbejgam@...> wrote:
Hi All,

I have created the following wiki:
https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/Project_Proposals:ODL_Root_Parent
for new
project needed to handle automated weekly releases as per the
discussion
this morning in TWS call.

Please let me know if you have any questions related to this.
Thanks! This great and sorely needed. Chris had good suggestions about
committers, but beyond that, please let us know if you need any other
help.

In addition, please request a creation review as soon as possible
(that would be 04.24.2014 if you feel you are ready).

Thanks again,

--dmm

Thanks,
Surekha

Raghurama Bhat (ragbhat) <ragbhat@...>

Hi David,

I understand the need to follow the process. But, Since this is not a true
ODL Project in the traditional sense and just contains a POM file to keep
track of root level defaults, We were hoping we could somehow fast track
the approval process for this one.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

‹Raghu

Chris Wright <chrisw@...>

* Raghurama Bhat (ragbhat) (ragbhat@...) wrote:
I understand the need to follow the process. But, Since this is not a true
ODL Project in the traditional sense and just contains a POM file to keep
track of root level defaults, We were hoping we could somehow fast track
the approval process for this one.
I don't see a huge compelling reason to try and create an exception
to our process here.

There's per-project work to be done which could start now. For example,
creating a common parent in each project (perhaps a hierarchy...either
way, cleaning up by project). And as a last refactor...push all the
common stuff out and up to the ODL Project parent.

thanks,
-chris

David Meyer <dmm@...>

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 11:41 AM, Chris Wright <chrisw@...> wrote:
* Raghurama Bhat (ragbhat) (ragbhat@...) wrote:
I understand the need to follow the process. But, Since this is not a true
ODL Project in the traditional sense and just contains a POM file to keep
track of root level defaults, We were hoping we could somehow fast track
the approval process for this one.
I don't see a huge compelling reason to try and create an exception
to our process here.

There's per-project work to be done which could start now. For example,
creating a common parent in each project (perhaps a hierarchy...either
way, cleaning up by project). And as a last refactor...push all the
common stuff out and up to the ODL Project parent.
Agreed.

--dmm

Raghurama Bhat (ragbhat) <ragbhat@...>

I understand.

It is just that, we would not be seeing the results of the effort with a
simultaneous release in action until the last step. If we are able to get
the root parent work done sooner than later, It would allow us to start
the weekly automated builds right away with 1-2 projects initially. That
would create a quick demonstration of the benefits and provide an
incentive for other projects to join in.

We can definitely get started with the project specific work in the mean
time. Another possibility is to temporarily house the root parent POM file
in one of the leaf projects like yang tools that does not depend on
anything else and move it to its own repo later.

Thanks,

‹Raghu

On 4/8/14, 11:44 AM, "David Meyer" <dmm@...> wrote:

[...]

If you do a build of a leaf project and lift all external deps up to
common parent w/in that project, that should show some benefit straight
away I'd think.

I do recognize this is a special case, but it seems to me like we can
move fwd w/out an exception.

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 12:26 PM, Chris Wright <chrisw@...> wrote:
* Raghurama Bhat (ragbhat) (ragbhat@...) wrote:
I understand.

It is just that, we would not be seeing the results of the effort with a
simultaneous release in action until the last step. If we are able to get
the root parent work done sooner than later, It would allow us to start
the weekly automated builds right away with 1-2 projects initially. That
would create a quick demonstration of the benefits and provide an
incentive for other projects to join in.
If you do a build of a leaf project and lift all external deps up to
common parent w/in that project, that should show some benefit straight
away I'd think.

I do recognize this is a special case, but it seems to me like we can
move fwd w/out an exception.
I too would like to avoid exceptions to the extent that we can.

--dmm

We can definitely get started with the project specific work in the mean
time. Another possibility is to temporarily house the root parent POM file
in one of the leaf projects like yang tools that does not depend on
anything else and move it to its own repo later.

Raghurama Bhat (ragbhat) <ragbhat@...>

Sure. Let us go ahead with a review on 4/24 as planned. Anything else we
need to take care of process wise before that?

We will of course be working on project level refactoring and submit patch
requests in the mean time.

Thanks,

‹Raghu

On 4/8/14, 12:29 PM, "David Meyer" <dmm@...> wrote:

[...]

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 12:38 PM, Raghurama Bhat (ragbhat)
<ragbhat@...> wrote:
Sure. Let us go ahead with a review on 4/24 as planned.
Ok, thanks. Scheduled.

Anything else we
need to take care of process wise before that?
Not for the creation review.