Security Credential Service

Dean, Steve <sdean@...>

Hello AAA team,

On Jan 12 I sent the following email about the need for a Security Credential Service.

https://lists.opendaylight.org/pipermail/aaa-dev/2015-January/000244.html

I’m working on two projects, DIDM and SNMP Plugin.  These projects need to interact with a device using SNMP.  Interacting with a device requires security credentials (eg, password, community name, etc.).  The credential service should allow the operator to populate the service with security credentials, and allow applications to acquire the security credentials managed by the Credential Server.  For the first release, this service can be fairly simple and we have been working on a prototype.

My question to the AAA team is about ownership.  Who should own this type of service?  Is this something that should be owned by the AAA team?  Is the AAA team interested in working with the SNMP Plugin team on this?  Who should I be discussion this with on the AAA team?

Thanks

Steve

Nguyen, Liem Manh <liem_m_nguyen@...>

Hi Steve,

I see generic credential management to be part of the AAA project’s scope. See the model here<https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1D2yIkSn-ZOURZhL-_hikw0F7VBnWdknL-pONAScSyZk/edit>. These credentials may be used for either NB, SB, or even sideways communication. However, the release plan for AAA for Lithium currently does not include a credential manager service (due to resource constraints). If this is something you can contribute to AAA, that would be greatly welcome! And, of course, we can work with you on it to make sure it fits into the current AAA framework.

Thanks,
Liem