Re: [release] [OpenDaylight TSC] committing to an outline of a Carbon release plan

Gao Kai <gaok12@...>

FYI

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: [release] [OpenDaylight TSC] committing to an outline of a Carbon release plan
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 16:36:55 -0400
From: Nadeau Thomas <tnadeau@...>
To: Colin Dixon <colin@...>
CC: tsc@... <tsc@...>, Release <release@...>

For this to be successful, I think we need to hear from each of the project PTLs (at least the core projects) to agree to commit to this.

—Tom

On Jul 28, 2016:4:30 PM, at 4:30 PM, Colin Dixon <colin@...> wrote:

During the TSC meeting, some of you asked why we didn't have a 6 month cadence and if we could get to one. I did my best to answer that on another thread here:
https://lists.opendaylight.org/pipermail/tsc/2016-July/005665.html

Generally, given that we're talking about rearranging *everything* in releases after Carbon, my take is that trying to align ourselves to 6 months now is probably more pain that it's worth. That being said, I'm open to other views if it really helps things.

--Colin

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 12:47 PM, Colin Dixon <colin@...> wrote:
Also, no, I just missed skipped #2 by accident.

--Colin

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 12:46 PM, Colin Dixon <colin@...> wrote:
I think that doing #1 internally while still externally following the traditional M0-M5, six-month release is not only doable, but will be essential if we want to actually get to the end of Carbon with some idea of if any of this works or not.

--Colin

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 12:31 PM, Abhijit Kumbhare <abhijitkoss@...> wrote:
Fair point on #3. Was there a #2?

About #1 - an internal cycle by the individual downstream projects will likely not happen if its not a coordinated experiment with the participation by all the projects - as the projects will still need to proceed/develop as per the traditional Carbon schedule. Since that is likely to be the case - it might be better to have the Carbon release as per the traditional schedule.

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 6:44 AM, Colin Dixon <colin@...> wrote:
A few quick notes:

1.) I think most of the hard/interest parts of a fast/phased release come in not just int he first 2-month cycle, but as that 2-month cycle cascades downstream into the next cycle and so on. A way to split the difference would be to have (some of) the offset 0 projects try a faster release cadence and/or semantic versioning with downstream projects relying on version range instead of a fixed SNAPSHOT version. They could have 2-month internal cycles as long as the APIs others were relying on were frozen and code-frozen in line with the 6-month release.

3.) I think we agreed that the TSC terms would end at the end of the Boron cycle, so it would take another vote (of the board) to change that.

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 1:56 AM, Abhijit Kumbhare <abhijitkoss@...> wrote:
One possibility that I had mentioned in the TSC meeting:

A small two-month bubble trial release (Oct-Nov) to explore the feasibility of a fast paced/staged release. If it works - we have a new fast paced staged release paradigm. If it does not work then the only bad side effect is that the release cycle got shifted by 2 months - and we will also have learned something. Based on the learning/experience we can then arrive at a decision that we will stick to the regular 6 month cycles for the foreseeable future (next few releases).
Otherwise we will likely be at the same spot regarding the fast paced / staged release idea as we were at the beginning of Boron - i.e. the fast paced/staged idea being pushed to the next release.

The side-effect advantage of this will be that the TSC terms of the CAL members will be nearly restored to be on the calendar year boundaries with a November election to start the term of the new TSC just after this trial 2 month release. This also gets the time to get the mechanics of the new TSC membership sorted out in the DDF at the ODL Summit - as well as time for getting more projects to become mature, etc.

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 11:14 AM, Daniel Farrell <dfarrell@...> wrote:
Colin's consensus summery sounds good to me.

+1 to Boron-like plan for Carbon. I think it's too late to build
understanding and momentum around something drastically different,
especially among less-active projects.

I'd love to see us use the ODL Dev Design Forum at Summit to put
a concrete pilot/test/plan in place, to run during Carbon and serve
as training/testing for adoption in Nitrogen.

Can we #action someone deeply involved to propose a DDF talk?

https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/Events:Carbon_Dev_Forum#Topics

Thanks all,

Daniel Farrell
Software Engineer, Red Hat SDN Team