Date

Re: [alto-design] Re: ODL L2 project

Austin

Hi Azher,

I could help you to solve the L2Switch issue but I need to know which branch you’re working and your test condition. The problem you mentioned seems not appears here. But we only test the l2switch on mininet so I’m not sure if the HostTracker really works with a real OpenFlow switch and I modified the L2Switch based on stable/lithium tag.

If you have any question or information. Feel free to mail me :-).

Regards,
Junzhuo

On Sep 30, 2015, at 8:34 PM, Y. Richard Yang <yang.r.yang@...> wrote:

Hi Azher,

It was great to you yesterday.

I cc'd the alto-team.

Jensen/Junzhuo/Tony: Azher from CalTech mentioned that an issue they are facing is that ODL l2switch (HostTracker) made one host appears at multiple locations. Our version does not have this problem, I believe. Could you please engage Azher to solve this problem?

Thanks a lot!
Richard

On Wednesday, September 30, 2015, Azher Mughal <azher@...> wrote:
Hi Richard,

Nice talking with you yesterday. Do yo mind sharing the project with us, so I can download and try it out. Current issues as I mentioned are hosts seen connected to various nodes which creates a total confusion.

Thanks
-Azher

Re: ODL L2 project

Y. Richard Yang <yang.r.yang@...>

Hi Azher,

It was great to you yesterday.

I cc'd the alto-team.

Jensen/Junzhuo/Tony: Azher from CalTech mentioned that an issue they are facing is that ODL l2switch (HostTracker) made one host appears at multiple locations. Our version does not have this problem, I believe. Could you please engage Azher to solve this problem?

Thanks a lot!
Richard

On Wednesday, September 30, 2015, Azher Mughal <azher@...> wrote:
Hi Richard,

Nice talking with you yesterday. Do yo mind sharing the project with us, so I can download and try it out. Current issues as I mentioned are hosts seen connected to various nodes which creates a total confusion.

Thanks
-Azher

Re: [alto] New Incremental Update draft

Y. Richard Yang

Hi Jensen,

Please make it public so that we can get feedback. Did you follow Wendy's new version?

Thanks!

Richard

On Tuesday, September 29, 2015, Jensen Zhang <jingxuan.n.zhang@...> wrote:
Yeah, I have created a branch based on 'stable/lithium' to implement sse in our ODL/ALTO server. And I will update it this week. But it is just a repo in our local server. Shall we make it public? (upload it to github? Since I cannot merge it to gerrit directly.)

Jensen

Wendy has already implemented this draft in her server. It will be great if we can do the same soon.

Richard

[...]

Re: How to compute the routing path between two hosts in OpenDayLight?

Austin

Hi Amit

I’m trying to merge my code to master branch by hand (refactor my code as well) but the master branch seems not working at all. My modification based on stable/lithium tag. So I can’t test my code on master branch if l2switch not working. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Junzhuo

On Sep 28, 2015, at 2:21 AM, Amit Mandke (ammandke) <ammandke@...> wrote:

That sounds great.

It is hard to follow code change in different repository. Please submit your patches to ODL repo. I would recommend incremental smaller(working) patches than one big change if possible.

Thanks,
-Amit

From: Junzhuo Wang <wangjunzhuo200@...>
Date: Saturday, September 26, 2015 at 2:14 AM
To: Amit Mandke <ammandke@...>
Cc: "Y. Richard Yang" <yry@...>, 陈明明 <mingmingminne@...>, Evan Zeller <evanrzeller@...>, André Martins <aanm90@...>, "Tony Tkacik -X (ttkacik - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco)" <ttkacik@...>, "l2switch-dev@..." <l2switch-dev@...>, Shu Dong <dongs2011@...>, "linxiao9292@..." <linxiao9292@...>, Jensen Zhang <jingxuan.n.zhang@...>, "gaok12@..." <gaok12@...>, "alto-dev@..." <alto-dev@...>, Andreas Voellmy <andreas.voellmy@...>, Shigang Zhu <szhu@...>
Subject: Re: How to compute the routing path between two hosts in OpenDayLight?

Hi l2switch team,

I have changed the l2switch to construct flow entries to build shortest path between hosts and also provide the routing information to other modules. I'm very happy to submit my code and I have pushed my modified l2switch on github here: https://github.com/cs512/l2switch.

The current problem is that my modify is dummy so I need review. If any of you willing to do so, please contact me.

Regards,
Junzhuo

Richard and Junzhuo,

I would highly encourage you to submit your enhancements to l2switch. Please start contributing the project. Submit your proposal for Beryllium release.

-Amit

From: <yang.r.yang@...> on behalf of "Y. Richard Yang" <yry@...>
Date: Sunday, August 9, 2015 at 7:01 AM
To: Junzhuo Wang <wangjunzhuo200@...>
Cc: 陈明明 <mingmingminne@...>, Amit Mandke <ammandke@...>, Evan Zeller <evanrzeller@...>, André Martins <aanm90@...>, "Tony Tkacik -X (ttkacik - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco)" <ttkacik@...>, "l2switch-dev@..." <l2switch-dev@...>, Shu Dong <dongs2011@...>, "linxiao9292@..." <linxiao9292@...>, Jensen Zhang <jingxuan.n.zhang@...>, "gaok12@..." <gaok12@...>, "alto-dev@..." <alto-dev@...>, Andreas Voellmy <andreas.voellmy@...>, Shigang Zhu <szhu@...>

To add a bit, according to my understanding:
- current l2switch uses flooding based on a single, shared spanning. Hence, assume a switch with k neighbors in the spanning tree, it needs only k rules in its flow table: for each incoming neighbor, flood to the other k-1 neighbors. If we use the number of links traversed as cost when computing ECS, this routing scheme is not useful, because the cost for each arc-dst pair is the same.

- As a first step, we develop l2switch-plus, which adds higher priority flow rules: for a given src, dst MAC pairs, we find the unicast path from the tree, and add <src-Mac, dst-Mac> entries to the flow tables. Note that this may cause flow table explosion, which we can look into:
* We identify compression.
* Another idea is that when computing ECS, we do not insert the Mac rules. They are triggered by packet-in only.
* Yet another idea is that ECS will insert the rules but with a relatively short timeout. Hence those rules not used by app will timeout quickly.

- In the next step, we use the ip-mac binding table to convert an l2 path to an l3 path.

In the long run, the preceding is not complete. For example, what if GBP reroutes a flow through middle boxes. The preceding derivation based on l2switch routing is not correct. We need to look into the composition approach of ODL.

Richard

On Sunday, August 9, 2015, Junzhuo Wang <wangjunzhuo200@...> wrote:
Hi Mingming,

The current status is that Dijkstra algorithm is not be used in l2switch. The related code are all been annotated. And the authors of l2switch also says this module is not complete. Instead, it use STP to forward all packets to every devices in the network. So we decide to develop our own module “l2switch-plus” to enhance the ability of l2switch. As a result, we can get routing information easily.

Best regards,
Junzhuo

Hi all,
I am sorry to come back so late. I sent email to cisco's stuff last Tuesday. He replied me as below:
"
Hi Mingming,
I am sure there is somewhere used the Dijkstra algorithm for this. I guess l2switch is the project involving this. You can check their wiki and eventually drop a question to their mailing list. Also you can read the topology and compute by yourself.

Regards,
"
I don't know how it goes now(I missed sync up on Saturday). I will try to find Dijkstra algorithm in ODL. And keep on asking for help from the helper? Or it has already resolved. I should do sth else? Thank you!

Best regards,
Mingming

在 2015-08-08 10:00:35,"Y. Richard Yang" <yry@...> 写道:

On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 8:16 PM, Amit Mandke (ammandke) <ammandke@...> wrote:
addMacToMac is not complete. Some more implementation is required to make it work. Never got a time to fix it. All contributions are welcome.

To clarify,  it is incomplete because it handles only the case of the same-switch, as implied by Junzhuo's testing? So the contribution is to handle cross-switch routing?

Thanks.

Richard

From: Junzhuo Wang <wangjunzhuo200@...>
Date: Friday, August 7, 2015 at 8:24 AM
To: Evan Zeller <evanrzeller@...>
Cc: André Martins <aanm90@...>, "Tony Tkacik -X (ttkacik - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco)" <ttkacik@...>, "l2switch-dev@..." <l2switch-dev@...>, Amit Mandke <ammandke@...>, Shu Dong <dongs2011@...>, "linxiao9292@..." <linxiao9292@...>, Jensen Zhang <jingxuan.n.zhang@...>, 陈明明 <mingmingminne@...>, "Y. Richard Yang" <yry@...>, "gaok12@..." <gaok12@...>

A further question. Is there a layer 3 routing module could make OpenFlow switcher acts like a traditional router?

Thanks!
Junzhuo

Hi Evan,

It great to have your reply! I’ve seen that the method “addBidirectionalMacToMacFlows” calls “addMacToMacFlow” twice. Based on the code, I assume in this implementation, the STP eliminate loops so all packets can be forwarded to all switchers. So only two flow entries could build a path between two MAC addresses.

But in my test, the MAC to MAC flow only be built when two hosts connected to the same switcher. This phenomenon really confuses me. I’m looking forward to your reply.

Thanks!
Junzhuo

The Minimum Spanning Tree is calculated to prevent loops in the network, those links that receive STP blocking status won't have flows written on them. FlowWriterServiceImpl.java in l2switch-main may have what you're looking for, it can create mac to mac flows, I'm not sure how robust the functionality is at the moment.

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 9:14 AM, Junzhuo Wang <wangjunzhuo200@...> wrote:
Hi André,

Thanks a lot for your reply! I’ve read the code from (https://github.com/opendaylight/l2switch/blob/master/loopremover/implementation/src/main/java/org/opendaylight/l2switch/loopremover/topology/NetworkGraphImpl.java#L123). The "getPath" method doesn’t exist anymore as you said. Also I did some tests and I found that the packets not always go through the shortest path. So I believe STP may be used as the current routing algorithm. If so, I can calculate the path by my self although it’s not a clean implementation. Let’s say what the code’s author says.

Junzhuo

Hi Junzhuo.
The code is here https://github.com/opendaylight/l2switch/tree/master/loopremover/implementation/src/main/java/org/opendaylight/l2switch/loopremover/topology
but I don't know if the service is working because of https://github.com/opendaylight/l2switch/blob/master/loopremover/implementation/src/main/java/org/opendaylight/l2switch/loopremover/topology/NetworkGraphService.java#L41
But I've send this email to the code's author to see what he says about it.
Best regards,
--André

On 06-08-2015 07:43, Junzhuo Wang wrote:
Hi all,

I’m a member from ODL/ALTO. I’m trying to find a API to compute the routing path between two hosts. So I read the code from openflowplugin, controller. It seems openflowplugin just set the flow table to switchers. And controller seems no longer handle the routing calculation now
 (org.opendaylight.controller.sal.routing doesn’t exist now).

Finally I found this page(https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/OpenDaylight_Controller:MD-SAL:L2_Switch) saids that the l2switch now provide routing service. Which module should I use and how to get the route between two hosts by existing APIs?

Thanks,
Junzhuo

Re: How to compute the routing path between two hosts in OpenDayLight?

Austin

Hi Amit

I will submit the patch soon to ODL repo.

Regards,
Junzhuo

From: Junzhuo Wang <wangjunzhuo200@...>
Date: Friday, August 7, 2015 at 8:24 AM
To: Evan Zeller <evanrzeller@...>
Cc: André Martins <aanm90@...>, "Tony Tkacik -X (ttkacik - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco)" <ttkacik@...>, "l2switch-dev@..." <l2switch-dev@...>, Amit Mandke <ammandke@...>, Shu Dong <dongs2011@...>, "linxiao9292@..." <linxiao9292@...>, Jensen Zhang <jingxuan.n.zhang@...>, 陈明明 <mingmingminne@...>, "Y. Richard Yang" <yry@...>, "gaok12@..." <gaok12@...>

[...]

Re: Revised Incremental Update draft

Wendy Roome <w.roome@...>

Richard,

Revised Incremental Updates draft attached. (Yes, this time I really did attach it).

I moved the keep-alive section to a sub-section of Section 6.6. That is a server requirement, so it seems that section is a better fit.

- Wendy

From: <yang.r.yang@...> on behalf of "Y. Richard Yang" <yry@...>
Date: Wed, September 23, 2015 at 16:04
To: Wendy Roome <w.roome@...>, alto-design <alto-design@...>, "alto-dev@..." <alto-dev@...>
Subject: Re: Revised Incremental Update draft

Wendy,

Here is some feedback:
- I liked the addition of the changes-since-00 section. It helps. I believe that it will be removed at the final stage.

- Sec. 4.3: Why not use the empty event keep-alive. Does an empty event still indicate a keep alive? (xref target ) seems to be missing <

- Sec. 6: It looks to me that it is adding some command structure in the Update Stream Service. Does it help to say a few words on why in the bullet item about it in Sec. 3? Initially, I thought we assume a persistent connection setting where the client can continue to turn on and off the update streams by sending multiple requests in the same TCP connection. When reading the 3rd para of Sec. 6.3.2, it is not fully clear. Is it a new connection or the same connection? If a new connection, then due to load balancing, the request may not go to the same ALTO server.

- Sec. 6.3: a small typo "stop-update" -> "stop-updates" in the third paragraph. Also, it uses a default all semantics. Thinking a bit about it, I tied "ls" under a directory. It shows all. But "rm" says that it is an error. Another piece of thought. I wonder if SSE itself does not have a command structure.

Thanks.
Richard

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 3:10 PM, Wendy Roome <w.roome@...> wrote:
Richard,

Did you have a chance to read the revised incremental update draft?

I implemented Update Streams as described in -02, and pushed it out to our public ALTO server for testing. I would like to announcer that, but not until we post the revised draft.

- Wendy

Re: Revised Incremental Update draft

Wendy Roome <w.roome@...>

Richard,

Thanks for your comments. My responses in-line.

From: <yang.r.yang@...> on behalf of "Y. Richard Yang" <yry@...>
Date: Wed, September 23, 2015 at 16:04
To: Wendy Roome <w.roome@...>, alto-design <alto-design@...>, "alto-dev@..." <alto-dev@...>

Here is some feedback:
- I liked the addition of the changes-since-00 section. It helps. I believe that it will be removed at the final stage.

Yes, I expected that. Do you think it is worth mentioning that in the section?

- Sec. 4.3: Why not use the empty event keep-alive. Does an empty event still indicate a keep alive? (xref target ) seems to be missing <

Because the SSE specification recommends that as a keep-alive. From Section 8:

Legacy proxy servers are known to, in certain cases, drop HTTP connections after a short timeout. To protect against such proxy servers, authors can include a comment line (one starting with a ':' character) every 15 seconds or so.

I will expand Section 4.3 and say that SSE recommends sending a comment as a keep-alive every 15 seconds.

- Sec. 6: It looks to me that it is adding some command structure in the Update Stream Service. Does it help to say a few words on why in the bullet item about it in Sec. 3? Initially, I thought we assume a persistent connection setting where the client can continue to turn on and off the update streams by sending multiple requests in the same TCP connection. When reading the 3rd para of Sec. 6.3.2, it is not fully clear. Is it a new connection or the same connection? If a new connection, then due to load balancing, the request may not go to the same ALTO server.

The stop-updates request is on a new HTTP connection. I will try to make that clearer.

I would have loved to send the stop-updates on the same stream. But I don't think that is compatible with HTTP 1.1. The de-facto convention is that the client sends all its data first, then the server sends its response. While the HTTP 1.1 spec might let us squeak around that, I think most HTTP client libraries and HTTP server frameworks enforce that convention, so a client or server might have to do their own HTTP implementation. That would make it much harder to adopt the extension.

As for a load-balanced server pool, the server which gets the stop-updates request is responsible for forwarding it to the appropriate server. For example, the stream-id could have the id of the specific server. The server which gets stop-updates simply sends a side-channel cease-and-desist order to the server handling the update stream, and then replies to the client. Note that this is a simple reply, not a HTTP redirect or some sort of TCP reconnection.

- Sec. 6.3: a small typo "stop-update" -> "stop-updates" in the third paragraph. Also, it uses a default all semantics. Thinking a bit about it, I tied "ls" under a directory. It shows all. But "rm" says that it is an error. Another piece of thought. I wonder if SSE itself does not have a command structure.

Fixed the typo.

If you want to follow UNIX conventions, we would
    { "stop-updates": ["*"] }
to stop all updates. But that means a server cannot use * as a resource id (granted, I doubt that will bother anyone). Also, I suspect most users will want to stop all updates. I included the selective-stop for logical completeness.

So I have no problem with an empty array meaning stop-all.

I have not seen anything defining a command structure on top of SSE.

Thanks.
Richard

[...]

 =====================================
| Y. Richard Yang <yry@...>   |
| Professor of Computer Science       |
 =====================================

Re: [OpenDaylight TSC] Fwd: Re: New committers

chenguohai

Hi Richard,

I am updating ALTO client to 01 version. It should be finished in four days as I have another ppt to finish.

BR

G.Robert  Chen

Chen Guohai (Robert), 陈国海. Network Research Department, Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. Telephone: 0086-25-56624606;   http://www.huawei.com

This e-mail and its attachments contain confidential information from HUAWEI, which is intended only for the person or entity whose address is listed above. Any use of the  information contained herein in any way (including, but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction, or dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by phone or email immediately and delete it!

From: Y. Richard Yang <yry@...>
Date: Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 10:58 AM
Subject: Re: [alto-dev] [OpenDaylight TSC] Fwd: Re: New committers
To: Colin Dixon <colin@...>
Cc: Gao Kai <gaok12@...>, "alto-dev@..." <alto-dev@...>

Colin,

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 10:50 AM, Colin Dixon <colin@...> wrote:

So, when the project proposal was approved, it was this:
https://wiki.opendaylight.org/index.php?title=Project_Proposals:Alto&oldid=25169

There were 4 committers listed:
* Xiao Shi (Shixiao) (Yale University)
* Xin (Tony) Wang (Tonywang) (Tongji University)
* Y. Richard Yang (Yrichardyang) (Yale/Tongji University)
* Wendy Roome (Wdroome) (Bell Labs)

Those four people should have full committer rights in gerrit and should also be voting members of the project when it comes to adding new committers.

Along those lines, I have 3 requests:
1.) Remove Huaming Guo as an initial committer fomr the project proposal, since he wasn't one.
2.) If it's possible get the other current committers (Xiao, Xin, and Wendy) to vote on the newly proposed committers.
3.) Remove the new committers (Shu, Kai, Guohai, and Yichen) from the main page until they are voted on by the project committers and approved by the TSC.

The three requests make sense. Let us follow the procedure and get them done soon.

Thanks for the guidance!

Richard

Let me know if that makes sense.

--Colin

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 3:48 PM, Y. Richard Yang <yry@...> wrote:

Hi Colin,

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 2:48 PM, Colin Dixon <colin@...> wrote:

Out of curiosity, what do you mean when you say "Richard, the only committer of ALTO project at the moment"?

As I see it you have 8 committers listed here:
https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/ALTO:Main

I think there is a misunderstanding here. When we listed the names on the preceding Web page, we thought those names would be contributors, i.e., they would participate in the project, but without the ability to commit in the sense of git approval. Hence, I am the only git committer/approver. This also explains why we added Huaming without seeking the approval of TSC. Does this clarify?

Richard

That's also odd because you only have 5 initial committers listed here and I don't remember the TSC approving more:
https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/Project_Proposals:Alto#Initial_Committers

More odd is that you seem to have added  Huaming Guo as an initial committer after the project was approved on January 8th:
https://wiki.opendaylight.org/index.php?title=Project_Proposals%3AAlto&diff=26601&oldid=25169

--Colin

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 10:53 PM, Gao Kai <gaok12@...> wrote:

Dear TSC,

We have carried out a public vote for three new committers in ALTO project [0].  Richard, the only committer of ALTO project at the moment, has voted +1 for all three candidates.

[0] https://lists.opendaylight.org/pipermail/alto-dev/2015-September/000217.html

Regards,
Kai

Colin Dixon <colin@...>