BGP peer-groups in opendaylight

Prokes, JiriX X <jirix.x.prokes@...>

Hi,

I’ve configured ODL  BGP with several BGP neighbors. All of them share “the same policy” so I would like to put them in to peer-group.

Is there general peer-group supported in ODL?

I could find only special peer-group “application peers” which seems to be built in to enable programmable rib feature.

I haven’t found in documentation how to add new peer-group and how to use it.

Can you please help with that?

I’m using nitrogen release - karaf-0.7.1

Best Regards,

Jiri

Intel Research and Development Ireland Limited
Registered in Ireland
Registered Number: 308263

Claudio David Gasparini <claudio.gasparini@...>

Hi Jiri,

configurable policy and peer group configuration are new features that will be available under Fluorine.

Regards,

Claudio David Gasparini

Senior Software Engineer

PANTHEON technologies s.r.o.

Mlynské Nivy 56, 821 05 Bratislava

Slovakia

Tel / +421 220 665 111

MAIL claudio.gasparini@...

WEB / https://pantheon.tech

I’ve configured ODL  BGP with several BGP neighbors. All of them share “the same policy” so I would like to put them in to peer-group.

Is there general peer-group supported in ODL?

I could find only special peer-group “application peers” which seems to be built in to enable programmable rib feature.

I haven’t found in documentation how to add new peer-group and how to use it.

Can you please help with that?

I’m using nitrogen release - karaf-0.7.1

Best Regards,

Jiri

Intel Research and Development Ireland Limited
Registered in Ireland
Registered Number: 308263

Prokes, JiriX X <jirix.x.prokes@...>

Hi Claudio,

Thanks for your response.

I have one more topic to discuss.

As I wrote I have configured ODL  BGP with several BGP neighbors. I tried to follow bgp user guide

http://docs.opendaylight.org/en/stable-nitrogen/user-guide/bgp-user-guide.html

Nevertheless I got it running only when I configured all neighbors inside etc/opendaylight/bgp/protocols-config.xml.

If I tried to add new neighbor via restconf it appeared just in config tree but it was not populated to operational tree.

Is it bug in code or in documentation?

Or is there anything else what needs to be done to “activate” new neighbor added via restconf?

[...]

difficult to say, without know your steps and logs. Our tests usually follows documentation and I haven't seen any bug reported with issues about configuration from other users.

You might try to start configuring one peer, and checking logs to see if there is some issue or complain on karaf logs.

Basically what you should be posting is the same that you are using on config file.

[...]

I removed one neighbor from etc/opendaylight/bgp/protocols-config.xml and start fresh odl

Then I added that neighbor via postman:

http://localhost:8181/restconf/config/openconfig-network-instance:network-instances/network-instance/global-bgp/openconfig-network-instance:protocols/protocol/openconfig-policy-types:BGP/{{bgp_rib}}/bgp/neighbors

Body:

<neighbor xmlns="urn:opendaylight:params:xml:ns:yang:bgp:openconfig-extensions">

    <neighbor-address>10.166.30.38</neighbor-address>

    <timers>

        <config>

            <hold-time>90</hold-time>

            <connect-retry>10</connect-retry>

        </config>

    </timers>

    <transport>

        <config>

            <remote-port>179</remote-port>

            <passive-mode>false</passive-mode>

        </config>

    </transport>

    <config>

        <peer-type>EXTERNAL</peer-type>

        <peer-as>65102</peer-as>

    </config>

</neighbor>

In karaf.log I can find following exception:

2018-03-21 14:06:36,440 | DEBUG | on-dispatcher-75 | BgpDeployerImpl                  | 202 - org.opendaylight.bgpcep.bgp-rib-impl - 0.8.1 | Creating Peer instance with configuration: Neighbor{getConfig=Config{getPeerAs=AsNumber [_value=65102], getPeerType=EXTERNAL, getSendCommunity=NONE, isRouteFlapDamping=false, augmentations={}}, getNeighborAddress=IpAddress [_ipv4Address=Ipv4Address [_value=10.166.30.38]], getTimers=Timers{getConfig=Config{getConnectRetry=10, getHoldTime=90, getKeepaliveInterval=30, getMinimumAdvertisementInterval=30, augmentations={}}, augmentations={}}, getTransport=Transport{getConfig=Config{isMtuDiscovery=false, isPassiveMode=false, augmentations={interface org.opendaylight.yang.gen.v1.urn.opendaylight.params.xml.ns.yang.bgp.openconfig.extensions.rev160614.Config1=Config1{getRemotePort=PortNumber [_value=179]}}}, augmentations={}}, augmentations={}}

2018-03-21 14:06:36,442 | ERROR | on-dispatcher-75 | DataTreeChangeListenerActor      | 238 - org.opendaylight.controller.sal-clustering-commons - 1.6.1 | member-1-shard-default-config: Error notifying listener org.opendaylight.protocol.bgp.rib.impl.config.BgpDeployerImpl@2deb15

java.lang.NullPointerException

        at com.google.common.base.Preconditions.checkNotNull(Preconditions.java:782)[27:com.google.guava:22.0.0]

        at org.opendaylight.protocol.bgp.rib.impl.config.BgpPeer$BgpPeerSingletonService.<init>(BgpPeer.java:241)[202:org.opendaylight.bgpcep.bgp-rib-impl:0.8.1]

        at org.opendaylight.protocol.bgp.rib.impl.config.BgpPeer$BgpPeerSingletonService.<init>(BgpPeer.java:221)[202:org.opendaylight.bgpcep.bgp-rib-impl:0.8.1]

        at org.opendaylight.protocol.bgp.rib.impl.config.BgpPeer.start(BgpPeer.java:89)[202:org.opendaylight.bgpcep.bgp-rib-impl:0.8.1]

        at org.opendaylight.protocol.bgp.rib.impl.config.BgpDeployerImpl.initiatePeerInstance(BgpDeployerImpl.java:343)[202:org.opendaylight.bgpcep.bgp-rib-impl:0.8.1]

        at org.opendaylight.protocol.bgp.rib.impl.config.BgpDeployerImpl.onNeighborCreated(BgpDeployerImpl.java:297)[202:org.opendaylight.bgpcep.bgp-rib-impl:0.8.1]

        at org.opendaylight.protocol.bgp.rib.impl.config.BgpDeployerImpl.onNeighborModified(BgpDeployerImpl.java:281)[202:org.opendaylight.bgpcep.bgp-rib-impl:0.8.1]

        at org.opendaylight.protocol.bgp.rib.impl.config.BgpDeployerImpl.onNeighborsChanged(BgpDeployerImpl.java:267)[202:org.opendaylight.bgpcep.bgp-rib-impl:0.8.1]

        at org.opendaylight.protocol.bgp.rib.impl.config.BgpDeployerImpl.onDataTreeChanged(BgpDeployerImpl.java:116)[202:org.opendaylight.bgpcep.bgp-rib-impl:0.8.1]

        at org.opendaylight.controller.md.sal.binding.impl.BindingDOMDataTreeChangeListenerAdapter.onDataTreeChanged(BindingDOMDataTreeChangeListenerAdapter.java:41)[232:org.opendaylight.controller.sal-binding-broker-impl:1.6.1]

        at org.opendaylight.controller.cluster.datastore.DataTreeChangeListenerActor.dataChanged(DataTreeChangeListenerActor.java:67)[245:org.opendaylight.controller.sal-distributed-datastore:1.6.1]

        at org.opendaylight.controller.cluster.datastore.DataTreeChangeListenerActor.handleReceive(DataTreeChangeListenerActor.java:41)[245:org.opendaylight.controller.sal-distributed-datastore:1.6.1]

        at org.opendaylight.controller.cluster.common.actor.AbstractUntypedActor.onReceive(AbstractUntypedActor.java:38)[238:org.opendaylight.controller.sal-clustering-commons:1.6.1]

        at akka.actor.UntypedActor$$anonfun$receive$1.applyOrElse(UntypedActor.scala:165)[34:com.typesafe.akka.actor:2.4.18]

        at akka.actor.Actor$class.aroundReceive(Actor.scala:502)[34:com.typesafe.akka.actor:2.4.18]

        at akka.actor.UntypedActor.aroundReceive(UntypedActor.scala:95)[34:com.typesafe.akka.actor:2.4.18]

        at akka.actor.ActorCell.receiveMessage(ActorCell.scala:526)[34:com.typesafe.akka.actor:2.4.18]

        at akka.actor.ActorCell.invoke(ActorCell.scala:495)[34:com.typesafe.akka.actor:2.4.18]

        at akka.dispatch.Mailbox.processMailbox(Mailbox.scala:257)[34:com.typesafe.akka.actor:2.4.18]

        at akka.dispatch.Mailbox.run(Mailbox.scala:224)[34:com.typesafe.akka.actor:2.4.18]

        at akka.dispatch.Mailbox.exec(Mailbox.scala:234)[34:com.typesafe.akka.actor:2.4.18]

        at scala.concurrent.forkjoin.ForkJoinTask.doExec(ForkJoinTask.java:260)[380:org.scala-lang.scala-library:2.11.11.v20170413-090219-8a413ba7cc]

        at scala.concurrent.forkjoin.ForkJoinPool$WorkQueue.runTask(ForkJoinPool.java:1339)[380:org.scala-lang.scala-library:2.11.11.v20170413-090219-8a413ba7cc]

        at scala.concurrent.forkjoin.ForkJoinPool.runWorker(ForkJoinPool.java:1979)[380:org.scala-lang.scala-library:2.11.11.v20170413-090219-8a413ba7cc]

        at scala.concurrent.forkjoin.ForkJoinWorkerThread.run(ForkJoinWorkerThread.java:107)[380:org.scala-lang.scala-library:2.11.11.v20170413-090219-8a413ba7cc]

2018-03-21 14:06:58,806 | DEBUG | entLoopGroup-7-1 | BGPSessionImpl                   | 202 - org.opendaylight.bgpcep.bgp-rib-impl - 0.8.1 | Message was received: Keepalive [augmentation=[]]

2018-03-21 14:06:58,869 | DEBUG | entLoopGroup-7-1 | BGPMessageToByteEncoder          | 202 - org.opendaylight.bgpcep.bgp-rib-impl - 0.8.1 | Message sent to output: Keepalive [augmentation=[]]

[...]

Hi Jiri, could you open a bug on Jira and assign it to me.

I ll try to take a deeper look when I find some free time.

[...]

Indeed it wont need for that. The issue is that you are missing

mandatory. You can take as example the neighbors on example.

I'll update documentation, so its more clear that those are mandatory fields.

<afi-safis>

</afi-safis>

[...]

I’ve found issue which looks similar:

https://jira.opendaylight.org/browse/BGPCEP-565?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Achangehistory-tabpanel

So I tried to reuse hints from that ticket. I’m not sure if it resolved my issue nevertheless it can be used as WA.

When I added following configuration into the restconf body bellow then added neighbor become regular peer.

    </config>

    <afi-safis>

        <afi-safi>

            <afi-safi-name xmlns:x="http://openconfig.net/yang/bgp-types">x:IPV4-UNICAST</afi-safi-name>

            <!--Advertise N Paths

            <receive>true</receive>

            <send-max>0</send-max>-->

        </afi-safi>

        <afi-safi>

            <afi-safi-name>LINKSTATE</afi-safi-name>

        </afi-safi>

        <afi-safi>

            <afi-safi-name>IPV4-FLOW</afi-safi-name>

        </afi-safi>

    </afi-safis>

</neighbor>

So it seems that something  is missing in code. Maybe it could be handled similarly like “application peer” neighbor which add that configuration by default.

Or at least http://docs.opendaylight.org/en/stable-nitrogen/user-guide/bgp-user-guide.html have to be updated.

Should I write the jira ticket?

Best Regards,

Jiri

[...]

Is it complete afi-safis section as it is in protocol-config.xml example mandatory? Or can I just select some afi-safi ?

From code perspective Exception should give some hint what is missing.

If you already identified what is wrong should I still write the ticket for it.

Best Regards,
Jiri

[...]

Hi Jiri, afi-safis are configurable(check the section of each family on doc). The idea is that you add the families that you want to be supported.

There is no need for open the ticket, I ll fix documentation ASAP.

[...]

Thank you for your support.

Best Regards,

Jiri

[...]

adam

Regarding the peer-groups,

Will ODL be using Dynamic Update-Groups?

From Cisco:

The BGP Dynamic Update Peer-Groups feature introduces a new algorithm that dynamically calculates and optimizes update-groups of neighbors that share the same outbound policies and can share the same update messages. In previous versions of Cisco IOS software, Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) update messages were grouped together based on peer-group configurations. This method of grouping updates limited outbound policies and specific-session configurations. The BGP Dynamic Update Peer-Group feature separates update-group replication from peer-group configuration, which improves convergence time and flexibility of neighbor configuration.

Please just don’t do it the very infamous Junos way where update-groups are blindly based on peer-groups configuration and in addition to that moving peer to a new update-group (by configuring unique export policy) resets the peer’s BGP session.

adam

netconsultings.com

::carrier-class solutions for the telecommunications industry::