Distribution Size Failures: CAPWAP

an.ho@huawei.com

Hi CAPWAP,

We are currently running into distribution size failures [1] where the Boron Common Karaf Distirbution is greater than 512MB. In order to decrease the size of the distribution, we believe there is potential for your project to help reduce the size of the distribution [2]. Please take a look at the action item below and let us know if such work can be achieved to assist in reducing the distribution size. We are tracking this task on the Google Tracking Spreadsheet [3].

Action Item: capwap can start using odl-netty instead of requiring netty-all

Best Regards,
An Ho

[1] https://lists.opendaylight.org/pipermail/release/2016-August/007584.html
[2] https://lists.opendaylight.org/pipermail/release/2016-July/007248.html
[3] https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zImtd764e-hOgJAxoJKl85fxHCPu2agLfqsBtf13zQY/edit#gid=1408329875

Abi

Hello An Ho,

I will have a look and get back on this. Let me understand it correctly, Is odl-netty has all needed stuff from netty and do not need any major changes? Please let me know. Could you share any documentation/info covering odl-netty?

Thanks,
Abi

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 1:52 AM, An Ho <An.Ho@...> wrote:
[...]

Stephen Kitt <skitt@...>

Hi Abi,

https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/43101 should do the trick.
odl-netty is documented in the odlparent section of the ODL developer's
guide (but it probably needs better documentation!).

BTW you might want to check the results of

mvn dependency:analyze

(ignoring those in capwap-features and capwap-karaf), there seem to be
some other unnecessary dependencies (e.g. on usc).

Regards,

Stephen

On Thu, 4 Aug 2016 09:00:44 +0530
Abi Varghese <abi.varghese@...> wrote:

[...]

Hello Stephen,

Thanks I just saw your commit..

I had a look at the below page.

I have earlier done the changes by just removing netty-all dependency from pom.xml and adjusted the dependent code. It just builds. Is it that the odl-netty dependency gets automatically resolved without needing to add the required netty dependencies (possibly due to odlparent?) in pom.xml as you have done in your commit?

I will go through your changes and merge it.

Thanks,
Abi

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 1:50 PM, Stephen Kitt <skitt@...> wrote:
Hi Abi,

https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/43101 should do the trick.
odl-netty is documented in the odlparent section of the ODL developer's
guide (but it probably needs better documentation!).

BTW you might want to check the results of

        mvn dependency:analyze

(ignoring those in capwap-features and capwap-karaf), there seem to be
some other unnecessary dependencies (e.g. on usc).

Regards,

Stephen

On Thu, 4 Aug 2016 09:00:44 +0530
Abi Varghese <abi.varghese@...> wrote:

> Hello An Ho,
>
> I will have a look and get back on this. Let me understand it
> correctly, Is odl-netty has all needed stuff from netty and do not
> need any major changes? Please let me know. Could you share any
> documentation/info covering odl-netty?
>
> Thanks,
> Abi
>
> On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 1:52 AM, An Ho <An.Ho@...> wrote:
>
> > Hi CAPWAP,
> >
> > We are currently running into distribution size failures [1] where
> > the Boron Common Karaf Distirbution is greater than 512MB.  In
> > order to decrease the size of the distribution, we believe there is
> > potential for your project to help reduce the size of the
> > distribution [2].  Please take a look at the action item below and
> > let us know if such work can be achieved to assist in reducing the
> > distribution size.  We are tracking this task on the Google
> > Tracking Spreadsheet [3].
> >
> > Action Item: capwap can start using odl-netty instead of requiring
> > netty-all
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > An Ho
> >
> > [1]
> > https://lists.opendaylight.org/pipermail/release/2016-August/007584.html
> > [2]
> > https://lists.opendaylight.org/pipermail/release/2016-July/007248.html
> > [3]
> > https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zImtd764e-hOgJAxoJKl85fxHCPu2agLfqsBtf13zQY/edit#gid=1408329875

Stephen Kitt <skitt@...>

Hi Abi,

On Thu, 4 Aug 2016 14:24:06 +0530

https://github.com/opendaylight/odlparent/blob/master/features-odlparent/src/main/features/features.xml

I have earlier done the changes by just removing netty-all dependency
from pom.xml and adjusted the dependent code. It just builds. Is it
that the odl-netty dependency gets automatically resolved without
needing to add the required netty dependencies (possibly due to
odlparent?) in pom.xml as you have done in your commit?
The Netty dependencies are pulled in transitively; since CAPWAP
actually depends on them it's much better for the dependencies to be
explicitly declared in its POM. (This insulates CAPWAP from changes
made to its dependencies' dependencies.)

mvn dependency:analyze is a nice tool to help figure out this kind of
issue: it flags both dependencies which are declared but unnecessary
(or no longer necessary), and dependencies which aren't declared but
should be (they are used, and resolved transitively).

I will go through your changes and merge it.
Thanks!

Ideally, if CAPWAP does need Netty at runtime in the Karaf container,
it should also explicitly pull in the odl-netty feature, with a line
such as

<feature version="[4.0.37,5.0)">odl-netty</feature>

in its features.xml (and the appropriate odlparent repository
declaration). I don't know enough about CAPWAP to determine whether
this is relevant...

Regards,

Stephen

Abi

Hello Stephen,

Thanks for the information.Will go through and remove unwanted dependencies.

Regards,
Abi

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 2:39 PM, Stephen Kitt <skitt@...> wrote:
Hi Abi,