[release] NeXt project failing to build in Carbon

Jamo Luhrsen <jluhrsen@...>

Without any response, I think prefer 2) because of the fact that we can
just point any consumers to the non-distribution component from the original carbon
release.

I spent a bit looking at the next build failure and I think the problem may be due
to a newer version of node (5+; I have v6 locally) being used to build the project.
Maybe if we built it with v4 it would work? I didn't go any further than learning that
theory though. Who knows if it's right?

Thanks,
JamO

On 09/28/2017 01:08 PM, Thanh Ha wrote:
Hello TSC,

The NeXt project has been failing in Carbon since September 21st. We've been unable to reach the project committers for
resolution for about a week now. With Carbon SR2 expected to go out shortly need a decision made on what to do with the NeXt
project.

1) Keep NeXt in the release and find someone to investigate the issue
2) Drop NeXt out of the SR2 release

One thing to consider is that NeXt typically provides a zip file as a release artifact and as far as I understand does not
have a Karaf Distribution component. So a potential solution here is to recommend those who want to use NeXt to download the
previously released zip of the project from Carbon SR1.

I think a decision should be made soon so that we can decide on a release candidate for Carbon SR2.

Regards,
Thanh

Luis Gomez <ecelgp@...>

+1 to option 2)

On Sep 28, 2017, at 3:41 PM, Jamo Luhrsen <jluhrsen@...> wrote:

[...]

an.ho@huawei.com

If we decide to remove NeXT UI Toolkit, we should also update the relevant documentation, marketing material, etc, and release notes, etc.

3) Alternatively, we could continue to release NeXT UI Toolkit Version 0.11.1 in Carbon SR2/SR3/SR4 since it is in maintenance mode and no changes to the features and functionality while also keeping NeXT UI Toolkit out of Carbon Autorelease.

Best Regards,
An Ho

[...]

My understanding of option 2) Drop NeXt out of the SR2 release, is that we just skip the Carbon SR2 NeXt deliverable but we still provide NeXt Carbon release and SR, so no need to modify documentation, marketing, release notes, etc. Is this right Thanh?

On Sep 28, 2017, at 4:05 PM, An Ho <An.Ho@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanh Ha <thanh.ha@...>

That's right. IMO we would link to the last released version which was NeXt from Carbon SR1 release.

Regards,
Thanh

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 7:39 PM, Luis Gomez <ecelgp@...> wrote:
My understanding of option 2) Drop NeXt out of the SR2 release, is that we just skip the Carbon SR2 NeXt deliverable but we still provide NeXt Carbon release and SR, so no need to modify documentation, marketing, release notes, etc. Is this right Thanh?

> On Sep 28, 2017, at 4:05 PM, An Ho <An.Ho@...> wrote:
>
> If we decide to remove NeXT UI Toolkit, we should also update the relevant documentation, marketing material, etc, and release notes, etc.
>
> 3) Alternatively, we could continue to release NeXT UI Toolkit Version 0.11.1 in Carbon SR2/SR3/SR4 since it is in maintenance mode and no changes to the features and functionality while also keeping NeXT UI Toolkit out of Carbon Autorelease.
>
> Best Regards,
> An Ho

Yrineu Rodrigues <yrineu.rodrigues@...>

Hi TSC team,

I sent a new patch to NeXt project with a fix, it follows:

PS: Waiting for Jenkins results

regards,

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 11:38 PM, Thanh Ha <thanh.ha@...> wrote:
That's right. IMO we would link to the last released version which was NeXt from Carbon SR1 release.

Regards,
Thanh

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 7:39 PM, Luis Gomez <ecelgp@...> wrote:
My understanding of option 2) Drop NeXt out of the SR2 release, is that we just skip the Carbon SR2 NeXt deliverable but we still provide NeXt Carbon release and SR, so no need to modify documentation, marketing, release notes, etc. Is this right Thanh?

> On Sep 28, 2017, at 4:05 PM, An Ho <An.Ho@...> wrote:
>
> If we decide to remove NeXT UI Toolkit, we should also update the relevant documentation, marketing material, etc, and release notes, etc.
>
> 3) Alternatively, we could continue to release NeXT UI Toolkit Version 0.11.1 in Carbon SR2/SR3/SR4 since it is in maintenance mode and no changes to the features and functionality while also keeping NeXT UI Toolkit out of Carbon Autorelease.
>
> Best Regards,
> An Ho

Yrineu Rodrigues
Software Engineer

SERRO
LinkedIn • Facebook • YouTube • Vimeo • Twitter  @TeamSerro

Disclaimer: This e-mail message contains information intended solely for the intended recipient and is confidential or private in nature. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not read, disseminate, distribute, copy or otherwise use this message or any file attached to this message. Any such unauthorized use is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by email, facsimile or telephone and then delete the original message from your machine.

San Francisco  |  Santa Clara  |  New York  |  Toronto  |  Mumbai  |  Pune

Jamo Luhrsen <jluhrsen@...>

Thanks Yrineu.

The patch we really care about at the moment is your cherry pick to Carbon:

https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/#/c/63846

I've CC'd all three committers that are listed on the NeXt wiki page.

JamO

Now, to get a Next committer to merge it

https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/#/c/63827/ <https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/#/c/63827/>

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 7:39 PM, Luis Gomez <ecelgp@... <mailto:ecelgp@...>> wrote:

My understanding of option 2) Drop NeXt out of the SR2 release, is that we just skip the Carbon SR2 NeXt deliverable
but we still provide NeXt Carbon release and SR, so no need to modify documentation, marketing, release notes, etc.
Is this right Thanh?

> On Sep 28, 2017, at 4:05 PM, An Ho <An.Ho@... <mailto:An.Ho@...>> wrote:
>
> If we decide to remove NeXT UI Toolkit, we should also update the relevant documentation, marketing material, etc,
and release notes, etc.

> 3) Alternatively, we could continue to release NeXT UI Toolkit Version 0.11.1 in Carbon SR2/SR3/SR4 since it is in
maintenance mode and no changes to the features and functionality while also keeping NeXT UI Toolkit out of Carbon
Autorelease.

> Best Regards,
> An Ho

*Yrineu Rodrigues*
Software Engineer

*SERRO*
www.serro.com <http://www.serro.com/
LinkedIn • Facebook • YouTube • Vimeo • Twitter  *@TeamSerro*

/Disclaimer: This e-mail message contains information intended solely for the intended recipient and is confidential or
private in nature. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not read, disseminate, distribute, copy or otherwise use
this message or any file attached to this message. Any such unauthorized use is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by email, facsimile or telephone and then delete the
original message from your machine./
/
/