Open Dove:Configuring a basic Overlay

Ahmed

Hello,

I walk on the steps here : https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/Open_Dove:Configuring_a_basic_Overlay to configure a basic overlay.

I have some questions:

1-
What I have done as follows:
I have one Host (includes 4 VMS)
1 VM run the opendaylight controller, ODMC and ODCS
The other 3 VMs each one run OVS Agent
2 VMs each one of them has 2 ports *one connected to the ODL and the other will be used for the OVS Agent
The last VM has 3 ports * one connected to the ODL and the others for OVS Agent

Is that right ?

2- I am using Virtual box, what exactly the type of interfaces that I should use for the OVS Agent when I do ./add-port.sh <VM_interface>  <network_id>
What Is the type if that interface?
because all the steps with no problems but I could not ping between the VMs.

3- When I add the ports here :https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/Open_Dove:Configuring_a_basic_Overlay#Create_Ports

the Mac address I use is the ones used in the VMs, or I can use any MAC address because all of that is virtual ?

Thank you in advance.

BR,
Ahmed

Ryan Moats <rmoats@...>

See in line .... Ryan

opendove-dev-bounces@... wrote on 07/09/2014 08:33:37 AM:

> From: Ahmed Medhat <a.medhat.h@...>

> To: opendove-dev@...
> Date: 07/09/2014 08:33 AM
> Subject: [opendove-dev] Open Dove:Configuring a basic Overlay
> Sent by: opendove-dev-bounces@...
>
> Hello,

> I walk on the steps here : https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/
> Open_Dove:Configuring_a_basic_Overlay to configure a basic overlay.

> I have some questions:
>
> 1-

> What I have done as follows:
> I have one Host (includes 4 VMS)
> 1 VM run the opendaylight controller, ODMC and ODCS
> The other 3 VMs each one run OVS Agent
> 2 VMs each one of them has 2 ports *one connected to the ODL and the
> other will be used for the OVS Agent

> The last VM has 3 ports * one connected to the ODL and the others
> for OVS Agent

> Is that right ?

That doesn't sound quite correct.  What I've typically done is
bare metal 1: run odmc/controller and odcs on the bare metal, run odgw in a VM
(in theory I could do that in a VM, but I've not tried it yet)

bare metal 2: runs ovs and hosts guest VMs
(again in theory I could do that in a VM, but I've not tried it yet)

The point is I don't try and run OVS within the guest VM, that doesn't work.

> 2- I am using Virtual box, what exactly the type of interfaces that
> I should use for the OVS Agent when I do ./add-port.sh
> <VM_interface>  <network_id>

> What Is the type if that interface?

the VM_interface is the interface of the VM on the bare metal machine - I use KVM so typically it is vnet0 or something like that

> because all the steps with no problems but I could not ping between the VMs.

> 3- When I add the ports here :https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/
> Open_Dove:Configuring_a_basic_Overlay#Create_Ports

> the Mac address I use is the ones used in the VMs, or I can use any
> MAC address because all of that is virtual ?

The MACs can be pretty much anything in the manual case.

> Thank you in advance.

Ahmed

Thanks Ryan,

If I have only one work station, Can I do as follows:
to have 2 VMs :
VM 1: runs Controller and oDCS and includes guest VM to run oDGW
VM2: runs OVS and includes 3 guest VMs

I think that theoretically works

Thanks,
Ahmed

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 1:44 AM, Ryan Moats <rmoats@...> wrote:

See in line .... Ryan

opendove-dev-bounces@... wrote on 07/09/2014 08:33:37 AM:

> From: Ahmed Medhat <a.medhat.h@...>

> To: opendove-dev@...
> Date: 07/09/2014 08:33 AM
> Subject: [opendove-dev] Open Dove:Configuring a basic Overlay
> Sent by: opendove-dev-bounces@...

> Hello,

> I walk on the steps here : https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/
> Open_Dove:Configuring_a_basic_Overlay to configure a basic overlay.

> I have some questions:
>
> 1-

> What I have done as follows:
> I have one Host (includes 4 VMS)
> 1 VM run the opendaylight controller, ODMC and ODCS
> The other 3 VMs each one run OVS Agent
> 2 VMs each one of them has 2 ports *one connected to the ODL and the
> other will be used for the OVS Agent

> The last VM has 3 ports * one connected to the ODL and the others
> for OVS Agent

> Is that right ?

That doesn't sound quite correct.  What I've typically done is
bare metal 1: run odmc/controller and odcs on the bare metal, run odgw in a VM
(in theory I could do that in a VM, but I've not tried it yet)

bare metal 2: runs ovs and hosts guest VMs
(again in theory I could do that in a VM, but I've not tried it yet)

The point is I don't try and run OVS within the guest VM, that doesn't work.

> 2- I am using Virtual box, what exactly the type of interfaces that
> I should use for the OVS Agent when I do ./add-port.sh
> <VM_interface>  <network_id>

> What Is the type if that interface?

the VM_interface is the interface of the VM on the bare metal machine - I use KVM so typically it is vnet0 or something like that

> because all the steps with no problems but I could not ping between the VMs.

> 3- When I add the ports here :https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/
> Open_Dove:Configuring_a_basic_Overlay#Create_Ports

> the Mac address I use is the ones used in the VMs, or I can use any
> MAC address because all of that is virtual ?

The MACs can be pretty much anything in the manual case.

> Thank you in advance.

Ryan Moats <rmoats@...>

It should... and it's one of the things that is on my list to try out... but I've not tried it, nor do I know how well it will perform

Ryan

Ahmed Medhat <a.medhat.h@...> wrote on 07/09/2014 06:55:36 PM:

> From: Ahmed Medhat <a.medhat.h@...>

> To: Ryan Moats/Omaha/IBM@IBMUS
> Cc: opendove-dev@...
> Date: 07/09/2014 06:55 PM
> Subject: Re: [opendove-dev] Open Dove:Configuring a basic Overlay
>
> Thanks Ryan,

> If I have only one work station, Can I do as follows:

> to have 2 VMs :
> VM 1: runs Controller and oDCS and includes guest VM to run oDGW
> VM2: runs OVS and includes 3 guest VMs
>
> I think that theoretically works

> Thanks,

> Ahmed
>

> On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 1:44 AM, Ryan Moats <rmoats@...> wrote:
> See in line .... Ryan
>
> opendove-dev-bounces@... wrote on 07/09/2014 08:33:37 AM:
>
> > From: Ahmed Medhat <a.medhat.h@...>
> > To: opendove-dev@...
> > Date: 07/09/2014 08:33 AM
> > Subject: [opendove-dev] Open Dove:Configuring a basic Overlay
> > Sent by: opendove-dev-bounces@...

> > Hello,
>
> > I walk on the steps here : https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/
> > Open_Dove:Configuring_a_basic_Overlay to configure a basic overlay.
>
> > I have some questions:
> >
> > 1-
> > What I have done as follows:
> > I have one Host (includes 4 VMS)
> > 1 VM run the opendaylight controller, ODMC and ODCS
> > The other 3 VMs each one run OVS Agent
> > 2 VMs each one of them has 2 ports *one connected to the ODL and the
> > other will be used for the OVS Agent
> > The last VM has 3 ports * one connected to the ODL and the others
> > for OVS Agent
> >
> > Is that right ?

> That doesn't sound quite correct.  What I've typically done is
> bare metal 1: run odmc/controller and odcs on the bare metal, run odgw in a VM
> (in theory I could do that in a VM, but I've not tried it yet)
>
> bare metal 2: runs ovs and hosts guest VMs
> (again in theory I could do that in a VM, but I've not tried it yet)
>
> The point is I don't try and run OVS within the guest VM, that doesn't work.

> > 2- I am using Virtual box, what exactly the type of interfaces that
> > I should use for the OVS Agent when I do ./add-port.sh
> > <VM_interface>  <network_id>
> > What Is the type if that interface?

> the VM_interface is the interface of the VM on the bare metal
> machine - I use KVM so typically it is vnet0 or something like that

> > because all the steps with no problems but I could not ping between the VMs.
>
> > 3- When I add the ports here :https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/
> > Open_Dove:Configuring_a_basic_Overlay#Create_Ports
>
> > the Mac address I use is the ones used in the VMs, or I can use any
> > MAC address because all of that is virtual ?

> The MACs can be pretty much anything in the manual case.
>
> > Thank you in advance.

Ahmed

I will try it and feedback you.

Thanks