OpenDove Example at the wiki of ODL

Ahmed

Hello All,

I have a question regarding the example done in the ODL WIKI for OpenDove, Why I can't run all the components in one Host ?

Run oDMC, oDCS , OVS and OVS Agent and hosts the guests VMs  in One Computer.
Is there a problem with that ?

Best regards,
Ahmed

Ryan Moats <rmoats@...>

it is certainly possible to run the oDMC, oDCS, and oDGW as separate VMs on a single computer.
Each host (bare metal or VM) that will support guest VMs can run OVS and the OVS agent.
So, putting OVS and OVS Agent on a guest VM means implies two level virtualization -
you will only have OpenDove Networking support for guest VMs hosted on that guest VM.

Ryan Moats

opendove-dev-bounces@... wrote on 09/10/2014 06:18:38 AM:

> From: Ahmed Medhat <a.medhat.h@...>

> To: opendove-dev@...
> Date: 09/10/2014 06:18 AM
> Subject: [opendove-dev] OpenDove Example at the wiki of ODL
> Sent by: opendove-dev-bounces@...
>
> Hello All,

> I have a question regarding the example done in the ODL WIKI for
> OpenDove, Why I can't run all the components in one Host ?

> Run oDMC, oDCS , OVS and OVS Agent and hosts the guests VMs  in One Computer.

> Is there a problem with that ?
>
> Best regards,

> Ahmed_______________________________________________
> opendove-dev mailing list
> opendove-dev@...

Ahmed

Thank you Ryan for you answers.

So I can´t run oDMC, oDCS, oDGW and OVS and OVS agent, all run on one host machine ?

If I can´t, so Why ?

Best regards,
Ahmed

Ryan Moats <rmoats@...>

Ahmed Medhat <a.medhat.h@...> wrote on 09/10/2014 08:55:19 AM:

> From: Ahmed Medhat <a.medhat.h@...>

> To: Ryan Moats/Omaha/IBM@IBMUS
> Cc: opendove-dev@..., opendove-dev-
> bounces@...

> Date: 09/10/2014 08:55 AM
> Subject: Re: [opendove-dev] OpenDove Example at the wiki of ODL
>
> Thank you Ryan for you answers.

> So I can´t run oDMC, oDCS, oDGW and OVS and OVS agent, all run on
> one host machine ?

> If I can´t, so Why ?

That's not what I said.

What I said is that it is certainly possible to run the oDMC, oDCS, and oDGW components on single bare metal.
I wouldn't do it for single point of failure reasons, but it is feasible.

What I was noting was that where you run the OVS and OVS Agent has implications on where you can have guest VMs that tie
into the OpenDove overlay.  That's all...

Ryan

Ahmed

Yes I know that you said it is possible but in this case I will have to do two level virtualization. So if I do not want to do 2 level virtualization, it will not be possible in that case. or ?

BR,
Ahmed

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 4:03 PM, Ryan Moats <rmoats@...> wrote:

Ahmed Medhat <a.medhat.h@...> wrote on 09/10/2014 08:55:19 AM:

> From: Ahmed Medhat <a.medhat.h@...>

> To: Ryan Moats/Omaha/IBM@IBMUS
> Cc: opendove-dev@..., opendove-dev-
> bounces@...

> Date: 09/10/2014 08:55 AM
> Subject: Re: [opendove-dev] OpenDove Example at the wiki of ODL
>
> Thank you Ryan for you answers.

> So I can´t run oDMC, oDCS, oDGW and OVS and OVS agent, all run on
> one host machine ?

> If I can´t, so Why ?

That's not what I said.

What I said is that it is certainly possible to run the oDMC, oDCS, and oDGW components on single bare metal.
I wouldn't do it for single point of failure reasons, but it is feasible.

What I was noting was that where you run the OVS and OVS Agent has implications on where you can have guest VMs that tie
into the OpenDove overlay.  That's all...

Ryan

Ryan Moats <rmoats@...>

2 level virt is only necessary if you put the OVS and OVS agent on a VM hosted on the bare metal
which is how I read your original email.  If you meant that you wanted to put the OVS and OVS agent on the same
bare metal that is hosting the other components, sure, that's feasible.

Ryan

Ahmed Medhat <a.medhat.h@...> wrote on 09/10/2014 09:11:24 AM:

> From: Ahmed Medhat <a.medhat.h@...>

> To: Ryan Moats/Omaha/IBM@IBMUS
> Cc: opendove-dev@..., opendove-dev-
> bounces@...

> Date: 09/10/2014 09:11 AM
> Subject: Re: [opendove-dev] OpenDove Example at the wiki of ODL
>
> Yes I know that you said it is possible but in this case I will have to do
> two level virtualization. So if I do not want to do 2 level
> virtualization, it will not be possible in that case. or ?

> BR,
> Ahmed

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 4:03 PM, Ryan Moats <rmoats@...> wrote:

> Ahmed Medhat <a.medhat.h@...> wrote on 09/10/2014 08:55:19 AM:
>
> > From: Ahmed Medhat <a.medhat.h@...>
> > To: Ryan Moats/Omaha/IBM@IBMUS
> > Cc: opendove-dev@..., opendove-dev-
> > bounces@...
> > Date: 09/10/2014 08:55 AM
> > Subject: Re: [opendove-dev] OpenDove Example at the wiki of ODL
> >
> > Thank you Ryan for you answers.
> >
> > So I can´t run oDMC, oDCS, oDGW and OVS and OVS agent, all run on
> > one host machine ?
>
> > If I can´t, so Why ?
>
> That's not what I said.
>
> What I said is that it is certainly possible to run the oDMC, oDCS,
> and oDGW components on single bare metal.
> I wouldn't do it for single point of failure reasons, but it is feasible.
>
> What I was noting was that where you run the OVS and OVS Agent has
> implications on where you can have guest VMs that tie
> into the OpenDove overlay.  That's all...
>
> Ryan

Ahmed

Ok Thank you a lot Ryan.

Best regards,