Using OpenDove for multi tenant virtual networks

Ahmed

Hello Ryan,

Sorry for interrupting you again.

I would like to know if I understand well or not.

Please see the attached document and till me if I send a packet from User machine to the EPC enablers machine in Virtual network 1. Will the blue curved line is the path of the Packets ?

another thing I want to know if I am in user VM, how could OpenDove knows if I want to use Virtual network 1 or Virtual network 2 ??

Last thing, is it possible to run all the OpenDove components in one Host machine instead of two ? and why if the answer is no ?

Best regards,
Ahmed

On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 6:01 PM, Ahmed Medhat <a.medhat.h@...> wrote:
Ok , I have to try it out.

Thanks a lot Ryan.

BR,
Ahmed

On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 5:51 PM, Ryan Moats <rmoats@...> wrote:

Honestly, I can't answer that.  You'll have two parallel virtual networks with all of the EPC VMs attached to both.  I can't say whether the EPC VMs will behave correctly...

Ryan

Ahmed Medhat <a.medhat.h@...> wrote on 09/08/2014 10:47:01 AM:

> From: Ahmed Medhat <a.medhat.h@...>

> To: Ryan Moats/Omaha/IBM@IBMUS
> Date: 09/08/2014 10:47 AM

> Subject: Re: Using OpenDove for multi tenant virtual networks
>
> Okay thanks a lot.

> By doing that, I will have 2 Virtual networks of the original EPC
> network and they will work as the original one do.

> That|s correct ??

> BR,
> Ahmed
>
> On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 5:42 PM, Ryan Moats <rmoats@...> wrote:

> AFAIK, OpenDove will have no troubles handling that.  Just be sure
> to assign each of the interfaces on the host to different VNs in the
> agent and away you go...
>
> Ryan
>
> Ahmed Medhat <a.medhat.h@...> wrote on 09/08/2014 09:46:29 AM:
>
> > From: Ahmed Medhat <a.medhat.h@...>
> > To: Ryan Moats/Omaha/IBM@IBMUS
> > Date: 09/08/2014 09:52 AM

> > Subject: Re: Using OpenDove for multi tenant virtual networks
> >
> > Yes exactly,
>
> > Is that possible to let a VM has 2 interfaces - one attached to each
> > Virtual network ?
>
> > BR,
> > Ahmed
> >
> > On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 4:39 PM, Ryan Moats <rmoats@...> wrote:
> > Ok, that certainly clarifies what you are trying to do, tho I'm not
> > sure I'd call that multi-tenacy...
> >
> > In OpenDove currently, a VM's network interface is tied to a single
> > virtual network (VxLAN encapsulation).  So, each VM would require a
> > separate network interface for each virtual network that it wishes
> > to attach to...
> >
> > Ryan
> >
> > Ahmed Medhat <a.medhat.h@...> wrote on 09/08/2014 09:33:09 AM:
> >
> > > From: Ahmed Medhat <a.medhat.h@...>
> > > To: Ryan Moats/Omaha/IBM@IBMUS
> > > Date: 09/08/2014 09:33 AM
> > > Subject: Re: Using OpenDove for multi tenant virtual networks
> >

> > > I am already have Virtual Machines of EPC components (eNB, SGW,
> > > PGW..etc), What I want to do is multiple tenant of these VMs (EPC
> > > Network) with their same connectivity in different Virtual networks.
> >
> > > So the slide shows that I reuse the same EPC Network nodes (VMs)  in
> > > different 2 Virtual Networks. Is that possible to be done ?
> > >

> > > BR,
> > > Ahmed
> > >
> > > On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 4:15 PM, Ryan Moats <rmoats@...> wrote:
> > > Multi-tenant is certainly supported by the OpenDove platform, but
> > > your PDF slide wasn't 100% clear on what you are trying to
> > > accomplish.  Can you share a few more clarifying details?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Ryan

Ryan Moats <rmoats@...>

The question of one version two bare metal machines is answered separately.

Your diagram implies that each of the guest (blue) VMs has two separate network interfaces appearing on the host machine as separate vnet* devices.  When you configure the OVS Agent, you add the vnet* port on the bare metal to the Vitrual Network it should be attached to via the add-port command.  This is how OpenDOVE knows that a packet should flow on VN1 or VN2.

Once you have all of the guest VM ports assigned to VN1 or VN2 then the packet flow could be what you show in your diagram, I don't know EPC well enough to answer either affirmative or negative.

Ryan

Ahmed Medhat <a.medhat.h@...> wrote on 09/10/2014 07:04:28 AM:

> [...]

> > > To: Ryan Moats/Omaha/IBM@IBMUS
> > > Date: 09/08/2014 09:52 AM
> >
> > > Subject: Re: Using OpenDove for multi tenant virtual networks
> > >
> > > Yes exactly,
> >
> > > Is that possible to let a VM has 2 interfaces - one attached to each
> > > Virtual network ?
> >
> > > BR,
> > > Ahmed
> > >
> > > On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 4:39 PM, Ryan Moats <rmoats@...> wrote:
> > > Ok, that certainly clarifies what you are trying to do, tho I'm not
> > > sure I'd call that multi-tenacy...
> > >
> > > In OpenDove currently, a VM's network interface is tied to a single
> > > virtual network (VxLAN encapsulation).  So, each VM would require a
> > > separate network interface for each virtual network that it wishes
> > > to attach to...
> > >
> > > Ryan

> [attachment "OpenDove and EPC(1).pdf" deleted by Ryan Moats/Omaha/IBM]

Ahmed

Thanks Ryan for your reply.

For the first part, how I could know which VN I am using ?

because for example if I want to ping from VM to Internet (EPC enablers VM has a connection to internet), I just use Ping <ip address>  but I couldn’t say that if I use VN1 or VN2 because now I have 2 interfaces separated and each one connected to different Virtual Network than the other.

Another issue after I connect the interface of each VM to  Virtual network 1, Will I have to connect the interfaces in the VN 1 together ? or not needed ?

Best regards,
Ahmed

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 3:41 PM, Ryan Moats <rmoats@...> wrote:

> [...]

> > > To: Ryan Moats/Omaha/IBM@IBMUS
> > > Date: 09/08/2014 09:52 AM
> >
> > > Subject: Re: Using OpenDove for multi tenant virtual networks
> > >
> > > Yes exactly,
> >
> > > Is that possible to let a VM has 2 interfaces - one attached to each
> > > Virtual network ?
> >
> > > BR,
> > > Ahmed
> > >
> > > On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 4:39 PM, Ryan Moats <rmoats@...> wrote:
> > > Ok, that certainly clarifies what you are trying to do, tho I'm not
> > > sure I'd call that multi-tenacy...
> > >
> > > In OpenDove currently, a VM's network interface is tied to a single
> > > virtual network (VxLAN encapsulation).  So, each VM would require a
> > > separate network interface for each virtual network that it wishes
> > > to attach to...
> > >
> > > Ryan

> [attachment "OpenDove and EPC(1).pdf" deleted by Ryan Moats/Omaha/IBM]

See inline....  Ryan

Ahmed Medhat <a.medhat.h@...> wrote on 09/10/2014 09:04:32 AM:

> From: Ahmed Medhat <a.medhat.h@...>

> To: Ryan Moats/Omaha/IBM@IBMUS
> Cc: opendove-dev@...
> Date: 09/10/2014 09:08 AM
> Subject: Re: Using OpenDove for multi tenant virtual networks
>
> Thanks Ryan for your reply.
>

> For the first part, how I could know which VN I am using ?
>

> because for example if I want to ping from VM to Internet (EPC
> enablers VM has a connection to internet), I just use Ping <ip
> address>  but I couldn’t say that if I use VN1 or VN2 because now I
> have 2 interfaces separated and each one connected to different
> Virtual Network than the other.

You will only know based on the routing table in the original VM.  This is why I said that
having two interfaces from each VM is possible, but complex.

> Another issue after I connect the interface of each VM to  Virtual
> network 1, Will I have to connect the interfaces in the VN 1
> together ? or not needed ?

Once you add the vnet interface of each VM to OVS and assign them to the same VN, then those interfaces
automatically communicate with each other.