Inputs on cbench-like Java based tool that supports openflow 1.3

Madhava Bangera, Raksha <raksha.madhava.bangera@...>

Hi all,

I am an intern in Intel Corporation with OpenDaylight team. As my intern project, I have been thinking to build a new tool preferably in Java using openflowjava library to benchmark SDN controllers on latency and throughput to start with. The existing cbench benchmarking tool supports Openflow 1.0 only and the new tool would include support for the latest version of Openflow (OF 1.3) and TLS.

I would appreciate your inputs/suggestions regarding the above project idea. Also feel free to critic if this idea is already being implemented/completed. If not and the idea sounds good, I would be happy to work on this.

Thanks & Regards,

Raksha

Anastopoulos Nikolaos <nanastop@...>

Hi Raksha,

This is a really nice idea. While working on quick-and-dirty scale-up extensions

to make the original Cbench run on multiple threads [1], we thought that the best

way to do it *right* would be to use a programming model that would allow us to

model the SouthBound switches as stateful and event-driven objects, that would

run concurrently and independently from each other, and would be able to easily

and asynchronously communicate with each other and with the controller.

The original Cbench would not really help to this design direction since it follows

a strict iterative and centralized approach. For these design requirements, we

thought that the best fit would be the Actor model [2]. Specifically, one good choice

would be the Akka actor framework [3], which, among others, would additionally

offer scale-up and scale-out capabilities out of the box, to meet large scale

demands. Moreover, the fact that you are planning to use the openflowjava

project to provide OF 1.3 compatibility (which is really one of the major Cbench

drawbacks, at least for the ODL community) would facilitate things a lot if you

would go for Akka, since the library natively supports Java.

Feel free to go into further discussions on the above, I would be really interested to help.

Best regards,

Nikos

[1] https://github.com/intracom-telecom-sdn/nstat/wiki/MT-Cbench

[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actor_model

[3] http://akka.io/

--

The information in this e-mail message and any attachments are intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may be confidential. If you have received this transmission in error, and you are not an intended recipient, be aware that any copying, disclosure, distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited.  INTRACOM TELECOM and the sender accept no liability for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or computer system that may occur while using data contained in, or transmitted with, this email. Views or opinions expressed in this message may be those of the author and may not necessarily represent those of INTRACOM TELECOM.