openflow extensions

Gowrishankar, Ramkumar <rgowrishankar@...>

Hi,

The Openflow protocol library extensions documents how to implement custom extensions via augmenting the yang model and implementing the seralizer/deserializer. How is this functionality exposed in the OpenFlowPlugin? Since OpenFlowPlugin is the primary consumer of OpenFlowJava module and users will use the APIs that it provides to configure OF switches, do we need a similar set of changes there as well?

How does the end user use the extensions?

Thanks,

Ramkumar

DISCLAIMER:
This e-mail and any attachments to it may contain confidential and proprietary material and is solely for the use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, disclosure, distribution or copying of this transmittal is prohibited except by or on behalf of the intended recipient. If you have received this transmittal in error, please notify the sender and destroy this e-mail and any attachments and all copies, whether electronic or printed.

Abhijit Kumbhare

I believe Brent has used the extensions. You may want to go thru his presentation (not exactly how to do extensions as such - but you can get some idea):

His presentation is marked as "Feedback of using OpenFlow 1.3 by Brent Salisbury - OpenFlow plugin meeting, May 19, 2014".

Also Prasanna and his team are working on adding the experimenter framework for Helium.

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Gowrishankar, Ramkumar <rgowrishankar@...> wrote:

[...]

Abhijit,

I have looked at his presentation and as far as I know the work that Prasanna and this team are doing are also on the OpenFlowJava side. Going by Brent's comments to his commits to the OpenFlowJava he is modifying the yang model in the controller for consumption by the OpenFlowPlugin.

This model of changing the controller yang model is suitable for Brent's case where the extensions are still generic and acceptable to the larger community, but not for vendor specific extensions that OpenFlowJava enables.
Has there been any discussions around trying to provide a similar mechanism in OpenFlowPlugin via which extensions can be created similar to the way Prasanna's team implemented it for OpenFlowJava?

Thanks,

Ramkumar

[...]

Apologize Abhijit, ignore the previous email. I just saw that there is work scheduled for Helium.

Ramkumar

[...]

Michal Polkorab

Hi Ramkumar,

I have only some minor clarifications:

1. I don't know about any extensibility support changes made by Prasanna in the openflowjava. This was completely implemented by me. Prasanna and his team are assigned to OpenflowPlugin extensibility support milestone.

2. In order to support even vendor specific extensions you will have to augment existing models (for both controller and openflowjava). Brent's openflowjava changes are stored in the openflowjava repository just temporarily. Once I merge the exemplary experimenter bundle (https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/#/c/6742/), he will have to move his code and augmentations into his own ovsdb bundle. The same should apply to the controller part.

Regards

Michal Polkorab

[...]

MichalPolkoráb

Software Developer

Mlynské Nivy 56 / 821 05 Bratislava / Slovakia
+421 918 378 907
/ michal.polkorab@...
reception: +421 2 206 65 111
/ www.pantheon.sk

logo

Madhu Venugopal

Yes. We are waiting on the end-to-end support (whatever that means) for the ability to use Extensions support of OpenFlow.

Based on our discussion, the end-to-end extensibility support needs changes on both Openflowplugin and Openflowjava.
It would be awesome if we can coordinate the deliverables from both the project together & also a sample extension coded in
so that it can be used as a cookie-cutter for others to write their own extension support ?

Abhijit, Is it possible to prioritize this effort soon so that we can get this integration done sooner ?
We have been waiting on this for more than 6 weeks now and a lot of features are squarely dependent on it.

Thanks,
-Madhu

On 6/11/14, 1:25 AM, Michal Polkoráb wrote:

[...]

As I said in another email - let's discuss this in the next Monday meeting to figure out what Prasanna is doing for the experimenter framework & if it can be done sooner (if Brent or someone helps).

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 9:11 AM, Madhu Venugopal <mavenugo@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks & you can count me in for helping out in anyway possible.
(but am on vacation next week :-) ).

-Madhu