[integration-dev] ovsdb server port

Edward Warnicke <hagbard@...>

Luis,

"IANA has assigned TCP port 6640 for this protocol. Earlier
   implementations of OVSDB used another port number, but compliant
   implementations should use the IANA-assigned number.

   IANA has updated the reference for port 6640 to point to this
   document."

My guess is that it might have been 6634 at some point in the past... but its 6640 now.
How old is our RHEL?

Ed

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 3:26 PM, Luis Gomez <ecelgp@...> wrote:
Hi ovsdb experts,

Anyone knows if there is any agreement on standard OVSDB server port. Our controller uses 6640 while SELinux assumes 6634 for example.

Andrew Grimberg <agrimberg@...>

On Mon, 2015-06-22 at 15:30 -0600, Edward Warnicke wrote:
Luis,

From the RFC: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7047

"IANA has assigned TCP port 6640 for this protocol. Earlier

implementations of OVSDB used another port number, but compliant
implementations should use the IANA-assigned number.

IANA has updated the reference for port 6640 to point to this
document."

My guess is that it might have been 6634 at some point in the past...
but its 6640 now.

How old is our RHEL?
Ed,

This is a fallout from the recently built Fedora 21. Yes, we're aware
that F22 is already available but it came out just after we built out
the F21 image. We can modify the port that SELinux allows (it's not
hard), just not what the default SELinux policies allow openvswitch to
use.

If IANA says it should be 6640, I would suggest we use that and just
modify the Jenkins script to add it as an allowed port.

-Andy-

--
Andrew J Grimberg
Systems Administrator

Luis Gomez

So if we want the OVSDB suite to run smooth in a test consolidated environment (controller + OVS in same VM) we will have to open a different port (not 6640) for the mininet VM. So I am thinking we can still use the old port 6634 for the mininet VM.

BR/Luis

From the RFC: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7047

On Mon, 2015-06-22 at 15:36 -0700, Luis Gomez wrote:
So if we want the OVSDB suite to run smooth in a test consolidated
environment (controller + OVS in same VM) we will have to open a
different port (not 6640) for the mininet VM. So I am thinking we can
still use the old port 6634 for the mininet VM.
Ah, ok, then yes, 6634 would be acceptable as that's what the system is
currently configured for.

-Andy-

--
Andrew J Grimberg
Systems Administrator

Sam Hague

Luis,

when you say ovsdb suite, does that include the southbound and the netvirt pieces?

Also, have both pieces already been tested with 6634 as the controller ovsdb port? Reason I ask, is there might some hardcoded values in the ovsdb code depending on the use case.

Thanks, Sam

From the RFC: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7047

[...]

Hi Sam, controller is always tested with 6640, I am just talking on the OVS side.

From the RFC: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7047

[...]

If memory serves, we *should* be able to use any port we desire in connection_info when starting a connection from the controller to ovsdb.

That said, to be completely honest, I've never tried any other port...

Ed

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 6:34 PM, Luis Gomez <ecelgp@...> wrote:
Hi Sam, controller is always tested with 6640, I am just talking on the OVS side.

> On Jun 22, 2015, at 4:59 PM, Sam Hague <shague@...> wrote:
>
> Luis,
>
> when you say ovsdb suite, does that include the southbound and the netvirt pieces?
>
> Also, have both pieces already been tested with 6634 as the controller ovsdb port? Reason I ask, is there might some hardcoded values in the ovsdb code depending on the use case.
>
> Thanks, Sam

Anil Vishnoi

i tried different ovs port to connect to from controller and it worked fine for me.

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 8:40 AM, Edward Warnicke <hagbard@...> wrote:
If memory serves, we *should* be able to use any port we desire in connection_info when starting a connection from the controller to ovsdb.

That said, to be completely honest, I've never tried any other port...

Ed

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 6:34 PM, Luis Gomez <ecelgp@...> wrote:
Hi Sam, controller is always tested with 6640, I am just talking on the OVS side.

> On Jun 22, 2015, at 4:59 PM, Sam Hague <shague@...> wrote:
>
> Luis,
>
> when you say ovsdb suite, does that include the southbound and the netvirt pieces?
>
> Also, have both pieces already been tested with 6634 as the controller ovsdb port? Reason I ask, is there might some hardcoded values in the ovsdb code depending on the use case.
>
> Thanks, Sam

Edward Warnicke <hagbard@...>

Thank you for confirming :)

Ed