[OpenDaylight TSC] [release] TSC Vote for moving SFC to a self managed project


Abhijit Kumbhare
 

Thanks for your thoughts Thanh and Anil - very good points. I agree with Thanh that we do not want to delay the release further. So the best course of action as Thanh suggested seems to be to release note that SFC test failure for Sodium and say that SFC is marked for removal as a managed project in Magnesium. We may want to add that SFC may not have any further fixes during the Sodium SRs as they are transitioning to a self managed project for Magnesium.

Let us conclude this vote as not passed. I will respond on Luis' thread about overall release status.

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 7:09 AM Anil Vishnoi <vishnoianil@...> wrote:
I believe it's not a matter of few test failing. It's pretty much dead code in my opinion and i have a doubt that even it's basic usecase is working anymore.
Now do we want to keep shipping this dead code and support it for next 1 year (6 month stable support, 6 month security support)? I am not sure if there is anyone to support this code even in self-managed mode. If removing this code from managed project delays the relase by a week (nothing new in ODL history, we did it many times, many reasons ), in my person opinion, we should just do it.

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 6:42 AM Thanh ha <zxiiro@...> wrote:
I agree here. It seems wrong to me to remove it from Sodium this late into the release cycle unless we really want to delay the release some more. In the initial email thread this list Stephen's patch https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/c/netvirt/+/84369 will remove it from netvirt but this would require that to be merged and then we need to respin everything.

Could we maybe release note the SFC test failure for Sodium and mention that it is marked for removal as a managed project in Magnesium?

That would at least flag to the users that SFC has known issues and we can likely proceed with the release.

Regards,
Thanh

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 at 07:40, Abhijit Kumbhare <abhijitkoss@...> wrote:
Thanks for the feedback Robert and Daniel. We do need to disable SFC from NetVirt, right? Isn't there an engineering effort required for that? Or is it OK to ship with those tests failing?

On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 10:41 PM Daniel De La Rosa <ddelarosa@...> wrote:


On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 10:28 PM Robert Varga <nite@...> wrote:
On 16/09/2019 06:34, Abhijit Kumbhare wrote:
> Hello TSC,
>
> There was a discussion in the TSC meeting to move SFC project to be a
> self managed project for Sodium as SFC members have mostly moved on and
> have also not attended any TSC meetings. Subsequently we also sent an
> email to the SFC project titled "SFC and Sodium". Since there was no
> response, it is time for the TSC to vote on whether SFC should be
> removed from the Sodium release.
>
> *Hence please vote either -1, 0 or +1 for the following question:*
> *
> *
> *Shall SFC be removed from Sodium as a managed project and be considered
> as a self managed project? Note - this will likely need us to remove it
> from the Sodium distribution.*

-1.

The release is ready, this would require a re-spin and re-signoff for a
release that is already 11 days late.

What is the (very strong) reason to even be considering this?

I don't think there is one and I thought that we talked about doing this ( and other) projects to self managed for magnesium in the TSC meeting. I think is better to keep Sodium release date on time but start working on this ASAP for Magnesium

my two pesos
 

FTR: I strongly believe this pruning should have happened at the Final
Checkpoint at the latest -- i.e. a month ago.

Regards,
Robert

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#18011): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/release/message/18011
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/34161125/1964961
Group Owner: release+owner@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/release/unsub  [ddelarosa@...]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


--
Daniel de la Rosa
Customer Support Manager
Lumina Networks Inc.
e: ddelarosa@...
m:  +1 408 7728120
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#11900): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/message/11900
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/34161393/1869318
Group Owner: TSC+owner@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/unsub  [zxiiro@...]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#18017): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/release/message/18017
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/34164484/1199232
Group Owner: release+owner@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/release/unsub  [vishnoianil@...]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


--
Thanks
Anil


Luis Gomez
 

If it is too late to remove SFC now I would advocate to remove it in Sodium SR1 (we did this in the past with other projects that suddenly became abandoned). The only way I can see SFC during Sodium support cycle is if someone steps up to do the basic project maintenance, but I do not think this is going to happen.

BR/Luis

On Sep 16, 2019, at 9:11 AM, Abhijit Kumbhare <abhijitkoss@...> wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts Thanh and Anil - very good points. I agree with Thanh that we do not want to delay the release further. So the best course of action as Thanh suggested seems to be to release note that SFC test failure for Sodium and say that SFC is marked for removal as a managed project in Magnesium. We may want to add that SFC may not have any further fixes during the Sodium SRs as they are transitioning to a self managed project for Magnesium.

Let us conclude this vote as not passed. I will respond on Luis' thread about overall release status.

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 7:09 AM Anil Vishnoi <vishnoianil@...> wrote:
I believe it's not a matter of few test failing. It's pretty much dead code in my opinion and i have a doubt that even it's basic usecase is working anymore.
Now do we want to keep shipping this dead code and support it for next 1 year (6 month stable support, 6 month security support)? I am not sure if there is anyone to support this code even in self-managed mode. If removing this code from managed project delays the relase by a week (nothing new in ODL history, we did it many times, many reasons ), in my person opinion, we should just do it.

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 6:42 AM Thanh ha <zxiiro@...> wrote:
I agree here. It seems wrong to me to remove it from Sodium this late into the release cycle unless we really want to delay the release some more. In the initial email thread this list Stephen's patch https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/c/netvirt/+/84369 will remove it from netvirt but this would require that to be merged and then we need to respin everything.

Could we maybe release note the SFC test failure for Sodium and mention that it is marked for removal as a managed project in Magnesium?

That would at least flag to the users that SFC has known issues and we can likely proceed with the release.

Regards,
Thanh

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 at 07:40, Abhijit Kumbhare <abhijitkoss@...> wrote:
Thanks for the feedback Robert and Daniel. We do need to disable SFC from NetVirt, right? Isn't there an engineering effort required for that? Or is it OK to ship with those tests failing?

On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 10:41 PM Daniel De La Rosa <ddelarosa@...> wrote:


On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 10:28 PM Robert Varga <nite@...> wrote:
On 16/09/2019 06:34, Abhijit Kumbhare wrote:
> Hello TSC,
>
> There was a discussion in the TSC meeting to move SFC project to be a
> self managed project for Sodium as SFC members have mostly moved on and
> have also not attended any TSC meetings. Subsequently we also sent an
> email to the SFC project titled "SFC and Sodium". Since there was no
> response, it is time for the TSC to vote on whether SFC should be
> removed from the Sodium release.
>
> *Hence please vote either -1, 0 or +1 for the following question:*
> *
> *
> *Shall SFC be removed from Sodium as a managed project and be considered
> as a self managed project? Note - this will likely need us to remove it
> from the Sodium distribution.*

-1.

The release is ready, this would require a re-spin and re-signoff for a
release that is already 11 days late.

What is the (very strong) reason to even be considering this?

I don't think there is one and I thought that we talked about doing this ( and other) projects to self managed for magnesium in the TSC meeting. I think is better to keep Sodium release date on time but start working on this ASAP for Magnesium

my two pesos
 

FTR: I strongly believe this pruning should have happened at the Final
Checkpoint at the latest -- i.e. a month ago.

Regards,
Robert

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#18011): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/release/message/18011
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/34161125/1964961
Group Owner: release+owner@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/release/unsub  [ddelarosa@...]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


--
Daniel de la Rosa
Customer Support Manager
Lumina Networks Inc.
e: ddelarosa@...
m:  +1 408 7728120
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#11900): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/message/11900
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/34161393/1869318
Group Owner: TSC+owner@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/unsub  [zxiiro@...]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#18017): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/release/message/18017
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/34164484/1199232
Group Owner: release+owner@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/release/unsub  [vishnoianil@...]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


--
Thanks
Anil
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#11903): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/message/11903
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/34161393/1217165
Group Owner: TSC+owner@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/unsub  [ecelgp@...]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


Abhijit Kumbhare
 

Yes - that (removing in SR1) sounds a good idea to me. 


On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 9:22 AM Luis Gomez <ecelgp@...> wrote:
If it is too late to remove SFC now I would advocate to remove it in Sodium SR1 (we did this in the past with other projects that suddenly became abandoned). The only way I can see SFC during Sodium support cycle is if someone steps up to do the basic project maintenance, but I do not think this is going to happen.

BR/Luis

On Sep 16, 2019, at 9:11 AM, Abhijit Kumbhare <abhijitkoss@...> wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts Thanh and Anil - very good points. I agree with Thanh that we do not want to delay the release further. So the best course of action as Thanh suggested seems to be to release note that SFC test failure for Sodium and say that SFC is marked for removal as a managed project in Magnesium. We may want to add that SFC may not have any further fixes during the Sodium SRs as they are transitioning to a self managed project for Magnesium.

Let us conclude this vote as not passed. I will respond on Luis' thread about overall release status.

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 7:09 AM Anil Vishnoi <vishnoianil@...> wrote:
I believe it's not a matter of few test failing. It's pretty much dead code in my opinion and i have a doubt that even it's basic usecase is working anymore.
Now do we want to keep shipping this dead code and support it for next 1 year (6 month stable support, 6 month security support)? I am not sure if there is anyone to support this code even in self-managed mode. If removing this code from managed project delays the relase by a week (nothing new in ODL history, we did it many times, many reasons ), in my person opinion, we should just do it.

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 6:42 AM Thanh ha <zxiiro@...> wrote:
I agree here. It seems wrong to me to remove it from Sodium this late into the release cycle unless we really want to delay the release some more. In the initial email thread this list Stephen's patch https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/c/netvirt/+/84369 will remove it from netvirt but this would require that to be merged and then we need to respin everything.

Could we maybe release note the SFC test failure for Sodium and mention that it is marked for removal as a managed project in Magnesium?

That would at least flag to the users that SFC has known issues and we can likely proceed with the release.

Regards,
Thanh

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 at 07:40, Abhijit Kumbhare <abhijitkoss@...> wrote:
Thanks for the feedback Robert and Daniel. We do need to disable SFC from NetVirt, right? Isn't there an engineering effort required for that? Or is it OK to ship with those tests failing?

On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 10:41 PM Daniel De La Rosa <ddelarosa@...> wrote:


On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 10:28 PM Robert Varga <nite@...> wrote:
On 16/09/2019 06:34, Abhijit Kumbhare wrote:
> Hello TSC,
>
> There was a discussion in the TSC meeting to move SFC project to be a
> self managed project for Sodium as SFC members have mostly moved on and
> have also not attended any TSC meetings. Subsequently we also sent an
> email to the SFC project titled "SFC and Sodium". Since there was no
> response, it is time for the TSC to vote on whether SFC should be
> removed from the Sodium release.
>
> *Hence please vote either -1, 0 or +1 for the following question:*
> *
> *
> *Shall SFC be removed from Sodium as a managed project and be considered
> as a self managed project? Note - this will likely need us to remove it
> from the Sodium distribution.*

-1.

The release is ready, this would require a re-spin and re-signoff for a
release that is already 11 days late.

What is the (very strong) reason to even be considering this?

I don't think there is one and I thought that we talked about doing this ( and other) projects to self managed for magnesium in the TSC meeting. I think is better to keep Sodium release date on time but start working on this ASAP for Magnesium

my two pesos
 

FTR: I strongly believe this pruning should have happened at the Final
Checkpoint at the latest -- i.e. a month ago.

Regards,
Robert

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#18011): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/release/message/18011
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/34161125/1964961
Group Owner: release+owner@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/release/unsub  [ddelarosa@...]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


--
Daniel de la Rosa
Customer Support Manager
Lumina Networks Inc.
e: ddelarosa@...
m:  +1 408 7728120
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#11900): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/message/11900
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/34161393/1869318
Group Owner: TSC+owner@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/unsub  [zxiiro@...]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#18017): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/release/message/18017
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/34164484/1199232
Group Owner: release+owner@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/release/unsub  [vishnoianil@...]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


--
Thanks
Anil
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#11903): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/message/11903
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/34161393/1217165
Group Owner: TSC+owner@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/unsub  [ecelgp@...]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


Michael Vorburger <mike@...>
 

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019, 18:33 Abhijit Kumbhare, <abhijitkoss@...> wrote:
Yes - that (removing in SR1) sounds a good idea to me.

+1

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 9:22 AM Luis Gomez <ecelgp@...> wrote:
If it is too late to remove SFC now I would advocate to remove it in Sodium SR1 (we did this in the past with other projects that suddenly became abandoned). The only way I can see SFC during Sodium support cycle is if someone steps up to do the basic project maintenance, but I do not think this is going to happen.

BR/Luis

On Sep 16, 2019, at 9:11 AM, Abhijit Kumbhare <abhijitkoss@...> wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts Thanh and Anil - very good points. I agree with Thanh that we do not want to delay the release further. So the best course of action as Thanh suggested seems to be to release note that SFC test failure for Sodium and say that SFC is marked for removal as a managed project in Magnesium. We may want to add that SFC may not have any further fixes during the Sodium SRs as they are transitioning to a self managed project for Magnesium.

Let us conclude this vote as not passed. I will respond on Luis' thread about overall release status.

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 7:09 AM Anil Vishnoi <vishnoianil@...> wrote:
I believe it's not a matter of few test failing. It's pretty much dead code in my opinion and i have a doubt that even it's basic usecase is working anymore.
Now do we want to keep shipping this dead code and support it for next 1 year (6 month stable support, 6 month security support)? I am not sure if there is anyone to support this code even in self-managed mode. If removing this code from managed project delays the relase by a week (nothing new in ODL history, we did it many times, many reasons ), in my person opinion, we should just do it.

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 6:42 AM Thanh ha <zxiiro@...> wrote:
I agree here. It seems wrong to me to remove it from Sodium this late into the release cycle unless we really want to delay the release some more. In the initial email thread this list Stephen's patch https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/c/netvirt/+/84369 will remove it from netvirt but this would require that to be merged and then we need to respin everything.

Could we maybe release note the SFC test failure for Sodium and mention that it is marked for removal as a managed project in Magnesium?

That would at least flag to the users that SFC has known issues and we can likely proceed with the release.

Regards,
Thanh

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 at 07:40, Abhijit Kumbhare <abhijitkoss@...> wrote:
Thanks for the feedback Robert and Daniel. We do need to disable SFC from NetVirt, right? Isn't there an engineering effort required for that? Or is it OK to ship with those tests failing?

On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 10:41 PM Daniel De La Rosa <ddelarosa@...> wrote:


On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 10:28 PM Robert Varga <nite@...> wrote:
On 16/09/2019 06:34, Abhijit Kumbhare wrote:
> Hello TSC,
>
> There was a discussion in the TSC meeting to move SFC project to be a
> self managed project for Sodium as SFC members have mostly moved on and
> have also not attended any TSC meetings. Subsequently we also sent an
> email to the SFC project titled "SFC and Sodium". Since there was no
> response, it is time for the TSC to vote on whether SFC should be
> removed from the Sodium release.
>
> *Hence please vote either -1, 0 or +1 for the following question:*
> *
> *
> *Shall SFC be removed from Sodium as a managed project and be considered
> as a self managed project? Note - this will likely need us to remove it
> from the Sodium distribution.*

-1.

The release is ready, this would require a re-spin and re-signoff for a
release that is already 11 days late.

What is the (very strong) reason to even be considering this?

I don't think there is one and I thought that we talked about doing this ( and other) projects to self managed for magnesium in the TSC meeting. I think is better to keep Sodium release date on time but start working on this ASAP for Magnesium

my two pesos
 

FTR: I strongly believe this pruning should have happened at the Final
Checkpoint at the latest -- i.e. a month ago.

Regards,
Robert

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#18011): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/release/message/18011
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/34161125/1964961
Group Owner: release+owner@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/release/unsub  [ddelarosa@...]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


--
Daniel de la Rosa
Customer Support Manager
Lumina Networks Inc.
e: ddelarosa@...
m:  +1 408 7728120
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#11900): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/message/11900
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/34161393/1869318
Group Owner: TSC+owner@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/unsub  [zxiiro@...]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#18017): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/release/message/18017
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/34164484/1199232
Group Owner: release+owner@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/release/unsub  [vishnoianil@...]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


--
Thanks
Anil
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#11903): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/message/11903
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/34161393/1217165
Group Owner: TSC+owner@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/unsub  [ecelgp@...]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#11905): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/message/11905
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/34161393/1963340
Group Owner: TSC+owner@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/unsub  [mike@...]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


Jaime Caamaño Ruiz
 

Hello

Really sorry I have not been paying much attention to this lately but I
guess that is just another sign that not much is going on with SFC at
the moment.

+1

BR
Jaime.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Vorburger <mike@...>
To: Abhijit Kumbhare <abhijitkoss@...>
Cc: Luis Gomez <ecelgp@...>, Anil Vishnoi <vishnoianil@...>
, Thanh ha <zxiiro@...>, Robert Varga <nite@...>, Release <rele
ase@...>, SFC <sfc-dev@...>, tsc
<tsc@...>, Daniel De La Rosa <ddelarosa@luminanetwor
ks.com>
Subject: Re: [sfc-dev] [OpenDaylight TSC] [release] TSC Vote for moving
SFC to a self managed project
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2019 18:34:46 +0200

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019, 18:33 Abhijit Kumbhare, <abhijitkoss@...>
wrote:
Yes - that (removing in SR1) sounds a good idea to me.
+1

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 9:22 AM Luis Gomez <ecelgp@...> wrote:
If it is too late to remove SFC now I would advocate to remove it
in Sodium SR1 (we did this in the past with other projects that
suddenly became abandoned). The only way I can see SFC during
Sodium support cycle is if someone steps up to do the basic project
maintenance, but I do not think this is going to happen.

BR/Luis

On Sep 16, 2019, at 9:11 AM, Abhijit Kumbhare <abhijitkoss@gmail.
com> wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts Thanh and Anil - very good points. I
agree with Thanh that we do not want to delay the release
further. So the best course of action as Thanh suggested seems to
be to release note that SFC test failure for Sodium and say that
SFC is marked for removal as a managed project in Magnesium. We
may want to add that SFC may not have any further fixes during
the Sodium SRs as they are transitioning to a self managed
project for Magnesium.

Let us conclude this vote as not passed. I will respond on Luis'
thread about overall release status.

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 7:09 AM Anil Vishnoi <vishnoianil@...
om> wrote:
I believe it's not a matter of few test failing. It's pretty
much dead code in my opinion and i have a doubt that even it's
basic usecase is working anymore.
Now do we want to keep shipping this dead code and support it
for next 1 year (6 month stable support, 6 month security
support)? I am not sure if there is anyone to support this code
even in self-managed mode. If removing this code from managed
project delays the relase by a week (nothing new in ODL
history, we did it many times, many reasons ), in my person
opinion, we should just do it.

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 6:42 AM Thanh ha <zxiiro@...>
wrote:
I agree here. It seems wrong to me to remove it from Sodium
this late into the release cycle unless we really want to
delay the release some more. In the initial email thread this
list Stephen's patch https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/c/ne
tvirt/+/84369 will remove it from netvirt but this would
require that to be merged and then we need to respin
everything.

Could we maybe release note the SFC test failure for Sodium
and mention that it is marked for removal as a
managed project in Magnesium?

That would at least flag to the users that SFC has known
issues and we can likely proceed with the release.

Regards,
Thanh

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 at 07:40, Abhijit Kumbhare <abhijitkoss@g
mail.com> wrote:
Thanks for the feedback Robert and Daniel. We do need to
disable SFC from NetVirt, right? Isn't there an engineering
effort required for that? Or is it OK to ship with those
tests failing?

On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 10:41 PM Daniel De La Rosa <ddelaro
sa@...> wrote:

On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 10:28 PM Robert Varga <nite@...
wrote:
On 16/09/2019 06:34, Abhijit Kumbhare wrote:
Hello TSC,

There was a discussion in the TSC meeting to move SFC
project to be a
self managed project for Sodium as SFC members have
mostly moved on and
have also not attended any TSC meetings. Subsequently
we also sent an
email to the SFC project titled "SFC and Sodium".
Since there was no
response, it is time for the TSC to vote on whether
SFC should be
removed from the Sodium release.

*Hence please vote either -1, 0 or +1 for the
following question:*
*
*
*Shall SFC be removed from Sodium as a managed
project and be considered
as a self managed project? Note - this will
likely need us to remove it
from the Sodium distribution.*
-1.

The release is ready, this would require a re-spin and
re-signoff for a
release that is already 11 days late.

What is the (very strong) reason to even be considering
this?
I don't think there is one and I thought that we talked
about doing this ( and other) projects to self managed
for magnesium in the TSC meeting. I think is better to
keep Sodium release date on time but start working on
this ASAP for Magnesium

my two pesos

FTR: I strongly believe this pruning should have
happened at the Final
Checkpoint at the latest -- i.e. a month ago.

Regards,
Robert

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#18011): https://lists.opendaylight.
org/g/release/message/18011
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/3416
1125/1964961
Group Owner: release+owner@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/release/u
nsub [ddelarosa@...]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

--
Daniel de la Rosa
Customer Support Manager
Lumina Networks Inc.
e: ddelarosa@...
m: +1 408 7728120
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#11900): https://lists.opendaylight.org/
g/TSC/message/11900
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/34161393
/1869318
Group Owner: TSC+owner@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/unsub
[zxiiro@...]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#18017): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/
release/message/18017
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/34164484/1
199232
Group Owner: release+owner@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/release/unsub
[vishnoianil@...]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#4778): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/sfc
-dev/message/4778
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/34166269/196
4875
Group Owner: sfc-dev+owner@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/sfc-dev/unsubb [
jcaamano@...]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


Abhijit Kumbhare
 

Thanks Jaime! 

I take your +1 as an intent by SFC to move to being self managed project for the Magnesium release.


On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 7:18 AM Jaime Caamaño Ruiz <jcaamano@...> wrote:
Hello

Really sorry I have not been paying much attention to this lately but I
guess that is just another sign that not much is going on with SFC at
the moment.

+1

BR
Jaime.
-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Vorburger <mike@...>
To: Abhijit Kumbhare <abhijitkoss@...>
Cc: Luis Gomez <ecelgp@...>, Anil Vishnoi <vishnoianil@...>
, Thanh ha <zxiiro@...>, Robert Varga <nite@...>, Release <rele
ase@...>, SFC <sfc-dev@...>, tsc
<tsc@...>, Daniel De La Rosa <ddelarosa@luminanetwor
ks.com>
Subject: Re: [sfc-dev] [OpenDaylight TSC] [release] TSC Vote for moving
SFC to a self managed project
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2019 18:34:46 +0200

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019, 18:33 Abhijit Kumbhare, <abhijitkoss@...>
wrote:
> Yes - that (removing in SR1) sounds a good idea to me.

+1

> On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 9:22 AM Luis Gomez <ecelgp@...> wrote:
> > If it is too late to remove SFC now I would advocate to remove it
> > in Sodium SR1 (we did this in the past with other projects that
> > suddenly became abandoned). The only way I can see SFC during
> > Sodium support cycle is if someone steps up to do the basic project
> > maintenance, but I do not think this is going to happen.
> >
> > BR/Luis
> >
> > > On Sep 16, 2019, at 9:11 AM, Abhijit Kumbhare <abhijitkoss@gmail.
> > > com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks for your thoughts Thanh and Anil - very good points. I
> > > agree with Thanh that we do not want to delay the release
> > > further. So the best course of action as Thanh suggested seems to
> > > be to release note that SFC test failure for Sodium and say that
> > > SFC is marked for removal as a managed project in Magnesium. We
> > > may want to add that SFC may not have any further fixes during
> > > the Sodium SRs as they are transitioning to a self managed
> > > project for Magnesium.
> > >
> > > Let us conclude this vote as not passed. I will respond on Luis'
> > > thread about overall release status.
> > >
> > > On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 7:09 AM Anil Vishnoi <vishnoianil@...
> > > om> wrote:
> > > > I believe it's not a matter of few test failing. It's pretty
> > > > much dead code in my opinion and i have a doubt that even it's
> > > > basic usecase is working anymore.
> > > > Now do we want to keep shipping this dead code and support it
> > > > for next 1 year (6 month stable support, 6 month security
> > > > support)? I am not sure if there is anyone to support this code
> > > > even in self-managed mode. If removing this code from managed
> > > > project delays the relase by a week (nothing new in ODL
> > > > history, we did it many times, many reasons ), in my person
> > > > opinion, we should just do it.
> > > >
> > > > On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 6:42 AM Thanh ha <zxiiro@...>
> > > > wrote:
> > > > > I agree here. It seems wrong to me to remove it from Sodium
> > > > > this late into the release cycle unless we really want to
> > > > > delay the release some more. In the initial email thread this
> > > > > list Stephen's patch https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/c/ne
> > > > > tvirt/+/84369 will remove it from netvirt but this would
> > > > > require that to be merged and then we need to respin
> > > > > everything.
> > > > >
> > > > > Could we maybe release note the SFC test failure for Sodium
> > > > > and mention that it is marked for removal as a
> > > > > managed project in Magnesium?
> > > > >
> > > > > That would at least flag to the users that SFC has known
> > > > > issues and we can likely proceed with the release.
> > > > >
> > > > > Regards,
> > > > > Thanh
> > > > >
> > > > > On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 at 07:40, Abhijit Kumbhare <abhijitkoss@g
> > > > > mail.com> wrote:
> > > > > > Thanks for the feedback Robert and Daniel. We do need to
> > > > > > disable SFC from NetVirt, right? Isn't there an engineering
> > > > > > effort required for that? Or is it OK to ship with those
> > > > > > tests failing?
> > > > > >
> > > > > > On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 10:41 PM Daniel De La Rosa <ddelaro
> > > > > > sa@...> wrote:
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 10:28 PM Robert Varga <nite@...
> > > > > > > > wrote:
> > > > > > > > On 16/09/2019 06:34, Abhijit Kumbhare wrote:
> > > > > > > > > Hello TSC,
> > > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > > There was a discussion in the TSC meeting to move SFC
> > > > > > > > project to be a
> > > > > > > > > self managed project for Sodium as SFC members have
> > > > > > > > mostly moved on and
> > > > > > > > > have also not attended any TSC meetings. Subsequently
> > > > > > > > we also sent an
> > > > > > > > > email to the SFC project titled "SFC and Sodium".
> > > > > > > > Since there was no
> > > > > > > > > response, it is time for the TSC to vote on whether
> > > > > > > > SFC should be
> > > > > > > > > removed from the Sodium release.
> > > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > > *Hence please vote either -1, 0 or +1 for the
> > > > > > > > following question:*
> > > > > > > > > *
> > > > > > > > > *
> > > > > > > > > *Shall SFC be removed from Sodium as a managed
> > > > > > > > project and be considered
> > > > > > > > > as a self managed project? Note - this will
> > > > > > > > likely need us to remove it
> > > > > > > > > from the Sodium distribution.*
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > -1.
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > The release is ready, this would require a re-spin and
> > > > > > > > re-signoff for a
> > > > > > > > release that is already 11 days late.
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > What is the (very strong) reason to even be considering
> > > > > > > > this?
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > I don't think there is one and I thought that we talked
> > > > > > > about doing this ( and other) projects to self managed
> > > > > > > for magnesium in the TSC meeting. I think is better to
> > > > > > > keep Sodium release date on time but start working on
> > > > > > > this ASAP for Magnesium
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > my two pesos
> > > > > > > 
> > > > > > > > FTR: I strongly believe this pruning should have
> > > > > > > > happened at the Final
> > > > > > > > Checkpoint at the latest -- i.e. a month ago.
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > Regards,
> > > > > > > > Robert
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> > > > > > > > Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > View/Reply Online (#18011): https://lists.opendaylight.
> > > > > > > > org/g/release/message/18011
> > > > > > > > Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/3416
> > > > > > > > 1125/1964961
> > > > > > > > Group Owner: release+owner@...
> > > > > > > > Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/release/u
> > > > > > > > nsub  [ddelarosa@...]
> > > > > > > > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > --
> > > > > > > Daniel de la Rosa
> > > > > > > Customer Support Manager
> > > > > > > Lumina Networks Inc.
> > > > > > > e: ddelarosa@...
> > > > > > > m:  +1 408 7728120
> > > > > >
> > > > > > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> > > > > > Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > View/Reply Online (#11900): https://lists.opendaylight.org/
> > > > > > g/TSC/message/11900
> > > > > > Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/34161393
> > > > > > /1869318
> > > > > > Group Owner: TSC+owner@...
> > > > > > Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/unsub
> > > > > > [zxiiro@...]
> > > > > > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> > > > >
> > > > > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> > > > > Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.
> > > > >
> > > > > View/Reply Online (#18017): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/
> > > > > release/message/18017
> > > > > Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/34164484/1
> > > > > 199232
> > > > > Group Owner: release+owner@...
> > > > > Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/release/unsub
> > > > > [vishnoianil@...]
> > > > > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> > > > Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.
> > > >
> > > > View/Reply Online (#4778): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/sfc
> > > > -dev/message/4778
> > > > Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/34166269/196
> > > > 4875
> > > > Group Owner: sfc-dev+owner@...
> > > > Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/sfc-dev/unsubb  [
> > > > jcaamano@...]
> > > > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-