[OpenDaylight TSC] [release] TSC Vote for moving SFC to a self managed project


Thanh Ha <zxiiro@...>
 

I agree here. It seems wrong to me to remove it from Sodium this late into the release cycle unless we really want to delay the release some more. In the initial email thread this list Stephen's patch https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/c/netvirt/+/84369 will remove it from netvirt but this would require that to be merged and then we need to respin everything.

Could we maybe release note the SFC test failure for Sodium and mention that it is marked for removal as a managed project in Magnesium?

That would at least flag to the users that SFC has known issues and we can likely proceed with the release.

Regards,
Thanh


On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 at 07:40, Abhijit Kumbhare <abhijitkoss@...> wrote:
Thanks for the feedback Robert and Daniel. We do need to disable SFC from NetVirt, right? Isn't there an engineering effort required for that? Or is it OK to ship with those tests failing?

On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 10:41 PM Daniel De La Rosa <ddelarosa@...> wrote:


On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 10:28 PM Robert Varga <nite@...> wrote:
On 16/09/2019 06:34, Abhijit Kumbhare wrote:
> Hello TSC,
>
> There was a discussion in the TSC meeting to move SFC project to be a
> self managed project for Sodium as SFC members have mostly moved on and
> have also not attended any TSC meetings. Subsequently we also sent an
> email to the SFC project titled "SFC and Sodium". Since there was no
> response, it is time for the TSC to vote on whether SFC should be
> removed from the Sodium release.
>
> *Hence please vote either -1, 0 or +1 for the following question:*
> *
> *
> *Shall SFC be removed from Sodium as a managed project and be considered
> as a self managed project? Note - this will likely need us to remove it
> from the Sodium distribution.*

-1.

The release is ready, this would require a re-spin and re-signoff for a
release that is already 11 days late.

What is the (very strong) reason to even be considering this?

I don't think there is one and I thought that we talked about doing this ( and other) projects to self managed for magnesium in the TSC meeting. I think is better to keep Sodium release date on time but start working on this ASAP for Magnesium

my two pesos
 

FTR: I strongly believe this pruning should have happened at the Final
Checkpoint at the latest -- i.e. a month ago.

Regards,
Robert

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#18011): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/release/message/18011
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/34161125/1964961
Group Owner: release+owner@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/release/unsub  [ddelarosa@...]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


--
Daniel de la Rosa
Customer Support Manager
Lumina Networks Inc.
e: ddelarosa@...
m:  +1 408 7728120
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#11900): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/message/11900
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/34161393/1869318
Group Owner: TSC+owner@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/unsub  [zxiiro@...]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


Anil Vishnoi <vishnoianil@...>
 

I believe it's not a matter of few test failing. It's pretty much dead code in my opinion and i have a doubt that even it's basic usecase is working anymore.
Now do we want to keep shipping this dead code and support it for next 1 year (6 month stable support, 6 month security support)? I am not sure if there is anyone to support this code even in self-managed mode. If removing this code from managed project delays the relase by a week (nothing new in ODL history, we did it many times, many reasons ), in my person opinion, we should just do it.

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 6:42 AM Thanh ha <zxiiro@...> wrote:
I agree here. It seems wrong to me to remove it from Sodium this late into the release cycle unless we really want to delay the release some more. In the initial email thread this list Stephen's patch https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/c/netvirt/+/84369 will remove it from netvirt but this would require that to be merged and then we need to respin everything.

Could we maybe release note the SFC test failure for Sodium and mention that it is marked for removal as a managed project in Magnesium?

That would at least flag to the users that SFC has known issues and we can likely proceed with the release.

Regards,
Thanh

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 at 07:40, Abhijit Kumbhare <abhijitkoss@...> wrote:
Thanks for the feedback Robert and Daniel. We do need to disable SFC from NetVirt, right? Isn't there an engineering effort required for that? Or is it OK to ship with those tests failing?

On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 10:41 PM Daniel De La Rosa <ddelarosa@...> wrote:


On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 10:28 PM Robert Varga <nite@...> wrote:
On 16/09/2019 06:34, Abhijit Kumbhare wrote:
> Hello TSC,
>
> There was a discussion in the TSC meeting to move SFC project to be a
> self managed project for Sodium as SFC members have mostly moved on and
> have also not attended any TSC meetings. Subsequently we also sent an
> email to the SFC project titled "SFC and Sodium". Since there was no
> response, it is time for the TSC to vote on whether SFC should be
> removed from the Sodium release.
>
> *Hence please vote either -1, 0 or +1 for the following question:*
> *
> *
> *Shall SFC be removed from Sodium as a managed project and be considered
> as a self managed project? Note - this will likely need us to remove it
> from the Sodium distribution.*

-1.

The release is ready, this would require a re-spin and re-signoff for a
release that is already 11 days late.

What is the (very strong) reason to even be considering this?

I don't think there is one and I thought that we talked about doing this ( and other) projects to self managed for magnesium in the TSC meeting. I think is better to keep Sodium release date on time but start working on this ASAP for Magnesium

my two pesos
 

FTR: I strongly believe this pruning should have happened at the Final
Checkpoint at the latest -- i.e. a month ago.

Regards,
Robert

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#18011): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/release/message/18011
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/34161125/1964961
Group Owner: release+owner@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/release/unsub  [ddelarosa@...]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


--
Daniel de la Rosa
Customer Support Manager
Lumina Networks Inc.
e: ddelarosa@...
m:  +1 408 7728120
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#11900): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/message/11900
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/34161393/1869318
Group Owner: TSC+owner@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/TSC/unsub  [zxiiro@...]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#18017): https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/release/message/18017
Mute This Topic: https://lists.opendaylight.org/mt/34164484/1199232
Group Owner: release+owner@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.opendaylight.org/g/release/unsub  [vishnoianil@...]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


--
Thanks
Anil