[controller-dev] deprecation & removal strategy for controller's karaf-parent

Ryan Goulding ryandgoulding at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 15:04:07 UTC 2016

Hi All,

As discussed in the MD-SAL call, there is an architectural need to move
karaf-parent from the controller project to the odlparent project.
This is particularly useful for karaf upgrades, since previously a bump in
karaf version within odlparent required a rebuild of controller to reflect
the change in karaf-parent, and our build jobs are not set up to support
such behavior.

I am working through and updating all projects to utilize odlparent's
karaf-parent [1]; if you have not seen a patch to your project yet, it is
because
I am flow controlling the changes and not bog down CI too much (I have a
script that I wrote to make the changes). Your project will not break in the
meantime even if it references controller's karaf-parent artifact, since
controller's pom was kept around and simply inherits from odlparent's
karaf-parent pom.

*I am sending this email to represent that the controller team is
deprecating the controller karaf-parent artifact.* It will remain in Boron
for compatibility
reasons, but going forward odlparent's karaf-parent should be used instead.
The archetypes have been changed to reference the new odlparent artifact,
and the rest of the projects will receive patches shortly. *In the past we
recommended that external distributors of ODL utilize controller's
karaf-parent artifact*
*for custom karaf distributions; the only thing that should need to be
changed is to utilize odlparent's karaf-parent artifact instead (just
change the groupId).*
The naming convention for artifactId was kept constant, and the versions
already followed odlparent's versioning scheme. If you need an example,
there are several
included in [1].

Please let me know if you have any questions. The process for moving this
artifact was designed to minimize if not eliminate any breakages.

Thanks,

Ryan Goulding

[1] https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/#/q/topic:move-karaf-parent