[OpenDaylight TSC] [OpenDaylight Board] Openstack thinking of projects

Mathieu Lemay mlemay at inocybe.com
Wed Jan 7 22:54:32 UTC 2015

Hi Neela, Luis and Colin,

I've been actively against simultaneous release for a while (see the
attached slides I presented at the last design summit).

On that OpenStack assessment I completely agree and we are facing the same
issues in OpenDaylight as of today. As for tagging I started the notion of
a project explorer a while back. It was completely rewritten over the
holidays and we are still actively working on this. There are however
additional issues that come to mind.

The idea of an 'installable' set of features for different use cases is
definitely important but then again what is the granularity.

To quote the link Neela sent:
"Skilled operators aren't deploying "the integrated release": they are
picking and choosing between components they feel are useful. New users,
however, are presented with a complex and scary "integrated release" as the
thing they have to deploy and manage: this inhibits adoption, and this
inhibits the adoption of a slice of OpenStack that could serve their need."

I find the exact same attitude in my recent deployments and have had to
customize integrated builds for use case specific users I was involved with.

Moreover, I would like to add that there is no relationship between a
project and its architectural components/add-ons. As such a project
maturity doesn't equate to a component maturity unless we have a 1:1
mapping.  I was very strongly pushing for a taxonomy for these components
along with potentially different repositories based on the quality /
stability or any other criteria. It would be important for users to know
what repositories they want to enable (stable, experimental or otherwise)

Anyhow, this will have to be investigated and resolved offline within the
community. I however wanted to thank everyone for bringing this up.

Bests
Mathieu